Need help clearing rocks

/ Need help clearing rocks #12  
I would start with a rock rakeBradco 66" Skid Steer, Skidsteer, Rock Bucket, 3" Tine Spacing Universal Skid Steer Quick Attach
You can rent them.

Once you get the majority out, then a powered rake (Harley rake, etc.) will do well. I have used one on the skid steer but I do not think I would start with one with as many rocks as you have.

Have you considered if this is a worthwhile project? Assuming there are just as many buried rocks, they will migrate to the surface every year. You may be fighting a losing battle!

Good luck!

/ Need help clearing rocks #13  
I have been extremely happy and impressed with the MX4800. I have loaded rear (r4s) and 1000lbs in a 3pt ballast and it's very planted and stable. No round bails but lots of over 2000lb granite boulders with confidence.

With that much weight on it I have occasionally lugged down the engine before I lost traction while bulldozing withe root grapple. If i had R1s and was pulling 8+ ft ground equipment I might consider the turbo charged version.
I run a 6ft brushhog and have never lugged the engine with it.
https://youtu.be/kVtu03glaiE

/ Need help clearing rocks
I would start with a rock rakeBradco 66" Skid Steer, Skidsteer, Rock Bucket, 3" Tine Spacing Universal Skid Steer Quick Attach
You can rent them.

YES SIR I think about that everyday I look at it I'm thinking this will be a good effort and if it doesn't do any

Once you get the majority out, then a powered rake (Harley rake, etc.) will do well. I have used one on the skid steer but I do not think I would start with one with as many rocks as you have.

Have you considered if this is a worthwhile project? Assuming there are just as many buried rocks, they will migrate to the surface every year. You may be fighting a losing battle!

Good luck!

YES SIR I think about that every time I look at it I'm thinking I will but a good effort in cleaning it up and if it doesn't look like is going to get any better I thinking about pine trees as much as I hate to do that

/ Need help clearing rocks #15  
20 acres of those rocks is a really big job. A skeleton bucket should do a good job getting the bigger rocks. It might help
to try and windrow the rocks with a grader blade first. My sons and I did a 2 acre field like that and we pick up big rocks
by hand and put in a skid steer bucket. Then used a tined rake to windrow a few more. Everytime it rained more rocks
popped up. A harley rake does a good job. I rented a rockhound for my skid steer but is it very slow and fills with rocks
quickly.

/ Need help clearing rocks #16  
   / Need help clearing rocks #17  
My 2 cents...

My property is pretty much rocks with a little bit of dirt mixed in. My "driveway" was carved out of the native soil with a dozer and has no gravel or other materials added to it. Just last week I cleaned up where recent rains had brought the rocks up. I used a landscape rake and box blade.

What it looks like after about a week. Don't have a before shot.

Driveway1.jpg

Close up of the windrowed rocks at the side of the road. See the lovely boulder.

Driveway2.jpg

I used my box blade with the rippers dropped down all the way and the box tipped aggressively forward but not really using the blade itself. After several passes up and down to bring up the top layer of rocks I then walked it and tossed out most of the cantaloupe-sized and larger rocks off. Followed up with the rake set at 45 degrees. As it is only a 72" rake (tractor width 60") it left the windrow right behind the trailing side tire which is why in the picture it isn't quite off the driveway. Getting ready to order a rake with offset capability so that I can push them the rest of the way the next time.

As someone else mentioned if there are that many rocks on top there is at least that many underneath. Turning that into a field suitable for planting doesn't seem realistic to me (if that's what hte OP is thinking) but you could certainly clean up the surface with a rake.

/ Need help clearing rocks #18  
I have a ratchet rake and I can attest that it would be helpful if used the correct way. You would need to just lightly let the loader down so that the points off the teeth just graze the top of the soil, not digging in. If you were to dig in, it would undoubtedly bring up more rocks. Now when I say helpful, I don't mean it is going to be perfect. You'll still end up needing to windrow them and do some handwork.

But I question the value of doing it on 20 acres.

Last edited:
   / Need help clearing rocks #19  
Start a rumor that there is potential for gold or diamond in the rocks and sell them by the 5gal bucket. 'U-pick' of course!
I recommend advertising durring the next Republican presidential debat.