Need help, Ford 3000 won't start

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start #1  

Jennay

Tractor
Ford 3000
I have a ford 3000 that was running perfectly and all of a sudden it wouldn't start. I mean, we turned it off, went for coffee and it wouldn't start when we got back.

Its definitely an electrical problem, when I turn the key the dash lights slowly, dimly lights up. So there is power going to it but its not getting full power. When I crank it sometimes I get a couple fast clicks, but most of the time I hear absolutely nothing. I've looked for melted wire, I've changed the ignition, the battery, made sure the ground everywhere was tight and clean and pulled the starter.

But I can start it if I take a set of jumper cables directly from the battery to the starter. At that point, the dash lights up bright in 1 second and it will start.

So somewhere between the ignition and the starter I've got an issue. Has anyone run into this before? I'm totally stumped.

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start #2  
If you have a generator regulator take the B terminal wires off the regulator and connect them together (thus bypassing the regulator) and then try and start with the key if it starts right up your generator regulator has an internal fault.

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start #3  
Hi, and welcome to TBN. It sounds like you're on the right track. I would start by fully charging the battery. Clean the battery terminals and the cable connector ends. Reinstall and tighten securely. If you can move them on the post they ain't tight. Follow the ground lead to the frame. Clean and tighten. Measure battery voltage. On a fresh charge it should be over 12.6 volts, possibly 13. While monitoring the voltage have someone try the starter. The voltage will drop a bit - say to ten or eleven volts. If it goes lower have the battery load tested.

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start #4  
I would check the battery cables themselves, I have seen where corrosion broke down the cable inside, out of site.

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start #5  
Or, on the battery cable/post connection, you can have a perfectly good looking connection, but corrosion or loose clamp to the post or clamp will prevent a solid connection.

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start #6  
I have a ford 3000 that was running perfectly and all of a sudden it wouldn't start. I mean, we turned it off, went for coffee and it wouldn't start when we got back.

Its definitely an electrical problem, when I turn the key the dash lights slowly, dimly lights up. So there is power going to it but its not getting full power. When I crank it sometimes I get a couple fast clicks, but most of the time I hear absolutely nothing. I've looked for melted wire, I've changed the ignition, the battery, made sure the ground everywhere was tight and clean and pulled the starter.

But I can start it if I take a set of jumper cables directly from the battery to the starter. At that point, the dash lights up bright in 1 second and it will start.

So somewhere between the ignition and the starter I've got an issue. Has anyone run into this before? I'm totally stumped.
I had the same thing happen on my jd 790. Took me a long time, but it was corrosion on one of the connections...it can be tough to find...

/ Need help, Ford 3000 won't start
Good news x 2 . Good news is I have a very healthy knowledge of the electrical system on this ford. It was the positive battery cable., tight, but not tight enough. insert face smack here.

Thanks for all the help!