Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
Those with front mounted snow blowers on L Series tractors. Reference L3130tractor and quick hitch L2180.

Do you still have the Grill Guard attached when mounting the Quick Hitch? I have seen pictures with the grill guard in place, but on my tractor there is interference (see photo). My grill guard has a metal support that prevents the quick hitch from going inside the grill guard (see attachment). Is there a different grill guard available for use with the quick hitch or does the grill guard has to be modified (cut the support bracing from grill guard).

I do not have instructions on how to mount the quick hitch and working blind, so I need your help.

Yes, I know I can remove the grill guard or cut the bracing off the grill guard. I just want to understand what Kubota recommends and what others had to do.

Just sold my rear snow blower and this needs to get on ASAP.

Attachments

• Rons SB.jpg
    Rons SB.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 306
  • Grill Sketch.jpg
    Grill Sketch.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 251
  • L3130 Interference.JPG
    L3130 Interference.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 426
   / Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #2  
Remove the grill guard and reinstall it in the summer season as you want t protect the motor compartment anyway as a priority.

The snow thrower frame will not allow it to raise properly with all the metal in the way.

I think a lot this is because of the tire size and clearances as a narrow mudder crop tire and large diameter rim with a taller hieght has a greater ground clearance.

edit: once you remove the grill guard the quick hitch should mount directly in the nose of the frame with matching holes- be sure to use nylock nuts or the blue "Loctite".

edit: do you have suitcase wieghts that mount on the grill guard?

Last edited:
   / Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #3  
I had a sub-frame on a L3130(for a plow but same for blower),you must remove grill guard.Two bolts not a biggy.

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #4  
The smaller framed Grand Ls (3240, 3540, 3940) can have the guard attached but on my 4240 in needs to come off. If you are having problems trying to make it work, leave it off. Just put some anti-seize on the threads of the bolts since you'll be removing them twice a year.

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question
Thanks for the quick response.

I ended up removing the grill guard, but it was frustrating as I spent too much time mounting the QH bracket and grill guard before hand. Only to realize I'd have to take it off. It is difficult holding both of these heavy parts and trying to get the bolt started. Used some ratchet straps from the raised FEL to hold both brackets in place.

I already have the grill guard removed and the front pins in the QH. Now I have to figure out how the back mounts and get the length of the QH correct... Then modify the fixed drive shaft. This QH came off a L4330 and therefore has a longer fixed drive shaft.

In a private message some one said they had to cut the bracket off the grill guard to make it work. I'll do that later when I have more time.

Oh, and anit-seeze is my friend.

Any tricks to mounting the back of the QH or adjusting to the proper lenght?

Leonz:
The nuts are welded behind the frame. Am I using the wrong mounting holes? There are two others, but then the bottom two bolt holes in the QH bracket could not be used. No I do not have the suitcase weights. Do they hang off the brace I'll be cutting off in a few months?

Thanks again

Last edited:
   / Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #6  
Remove the grill guard and reinstall it in the summer season as you want t protect the motor compartment anyway as a priority.

The snow thrower frame will not allow it to raise properly with all the metal in the way.

I think a lot this is because of the tire size and clearances as a narrow mudder crop tire and large diameter rim with a taller hieght has a greater ground clearance.

edit: once you remove the grill guard the quick hitch should mount directly in the nose of the frame with matching holes- be sure to use nylock nuts or the blue "Loctite".

edit: do you have suitcase wieghts that mount on the grill guard?

YUP, either use the hitch mount or the guard. This means changing over twice per year.

MO, You also really need to get a manual, mounting that hitch and adjusting it out properly is a bit beyond an internet forum. Even with the manual in front of you it may take a couple tries to to get the mounting down!!!!!!!!!!

However if you sit back and study the thing it is really quite simple.

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #7  
Thanks for the quick response.

I already have the grill guard removed and the front pins in the QH. Now I have to figure out how the back mounts and get the length of the QH correct...

Oh, and anit-seeze is my friend.

Any tricks to mounting the back of the QH or adjusting to the proper lenght?

Thanks again

I will tell you that you mount the BACK first and you jockey the thing with the hydraulics.

To give any better info you will need to post some more pics of the whole setup and how you are trying to mount it.

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #8  
I think the grill guard does 2 jobs holds the wieghts and protects the front end.

You can Send Art White or Neil Messick a PM and double check with them about it though too.

If those nuts are welded to the inner part of the tractor frame they should not come off.

If you have corresponding holes in the QA mount I would assume you can use the same bolts.

As much as I hate front mount attachments-
its always easiest to mount the under frame first attaching it to the axle hangers if this model has them so the entire *&^%&*() is aligned as mentioned.

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question #9  
UMMMM are you leaving the loader frame on???????.......................:drool:

/ Need Help. Front Mount Snow Blower Question
Kevinj,

Manual: The dealer where I got the snow blower from could not get the instructions for the quick mount (L2180). It was used, but off a L4330 so I just need to shorten the overall length. With the large pins holding the front of the hitch for a fixed position, I adjusted the length to allow clearance around the mid PTO casting and to make certain it was not to long at the draw bar end. I might have to make adjustments once the snow blower is on, but I'll figure it out.

During the summer I'll modify the grill guard so both can be attached simulataneously or I'll custom make a guard. I am not into taking it on and off.

I thought there may be a way to attach the draw bar end first, but wasn't certain if the hydraulics could provide sufficient height to insert the pins. I am really surprised these pins do not have a large chamfer to facilitate insertion.

Where did everyone mount the switch for the chute deflector?