Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple.

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #1  

AuburnAlum

Bronze Member
Tractor
Help Me Decide!
I need some advice on the right tractor for my primary use of a grapple. I know that they are heavy and tough on tractors. That will be my primary use for the machine. Secondary would be the loader for moving dirt, mulch, etc. No mowing of lawn as of yet. I have just shy of 14 acres that is heavily wooded and would use the grapple to clear much of the deadfall and move cut down trees. Also clearing some trails.

Now for my questions:

In speaking with a friend who is a professional farmer and a neighbor who also is a farmer they stated that 50+ HP would be needed for a grapple. Even a high 40s HP would be pushing it. I was trying to stay in the mid perhaps high 40 HP for my budget. Is this the experience folks have had here?

Now I apologize for starting any religious debate on this question:

Both of these folks advised against Kubota. One individual "hated":thumbdown: his Kubota and sold it after a year. The other said that the Kubots 'just did not live up to expectations and did not last". They both recommended that Massey was tougher and longer lasting. Bottom line question, are there folks here that have grapples on Kubota's that have put them through the ringer?

With regards to the dealer, the dealer I am purchasing from has both Massey and Kubota. (The Local John Deere dealership is out of the running)

Thanks again in advance!:):cool:

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #2  
A lot depends on the size of the grapple;there are "light duty and weight"grapples and full on heavy duty that would require a fairly large and heavy tractor.
I chose to add a "thumb&tooth-bar" to the factory heavy duty bucket and it works well for "me".
With 14 acres I wouldn't think you would need a commercial grade grapple and a 50+HP tractor.
As far as knocking Kubota;anyone can have a bad experience with any brand,they are just a machine made by man.I think you would find more positive posts on this site for Kubota than negative.

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple.
A lot depends on the size of the grapple;there are "light duty and weight"grapples and full on heavy duty that would require a fairly large and heavy tractor.
I chose to add a "thumb&tooth-bar" to the factory heavy duty bucket and it works well for "me".
With 14 acres I wouldn't think you would need a commercial grade grapple and a 50+HP tractor.
As far as knocking Kubota;anyone can have a bad experience with any brand,they are just a machine made by man.I think you would find more positive posts on this site for Kubota than negative.

Thank you. I like the Kubota tractors and gut is pulling me that way. As far as grapple I like this although it may be heavier but more solid: Heavy Duty Root Grapple For Skid Steer

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #4  
Are you sure that you want a tractor? For the uses you specified, a tracked skid steer might be better suited with the benefit of giving you more protection from falling debri

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #5  
Well, here are the facts. People put grapples on Little Kubota BX SCUTS, and get a lot of use out of them.. So the "you need 50 horse minimum" is crap. So is the Kubota's are junk is also crap.

NOW, that said, of course a larger tractor will be able in general to operate efficiently a larger grapple, have more lift capability and more stability with large heavy grapple loads. So with that line of thinking why not a 100 horsepower tractor? or maybe a 200 horsepower tractor? See where I am going with this?

It is just how much money you have, how big the jobs are and how much time do you have. I have a 35 horsepower tractor and a grapple. Do I have a toy? I dunno. you tell me. I can pick up about 1430 lbs or so. Lots of 40 horse tractors can lift well over 2000 lbs. Is that enough for your needs? You tell us.

Are Kubotas built lighter for a particular horsepower rating than some other brands? Yes they are. It is a design philosophy. Kubota feels if you want more weight, add ballast. Other brands build more weight into their basic design. An example would be my Kioti, it is heavier than the many of the Kubota's with the same horsepower rating. BUT Kubota also makes a line of heavier tractors with more features called their Grand L series. Kubota is one of the more popular brands of compact tractor, based on sales units and customer satisfaction.

So, bottom line. a smaller tractor than 50 horsepower may well be all you need, or maybe not. You need to decide how much you need to lift. But to say that a grapple cannot be effective on a smaller tractor is just not correct.

DSCF0555.JPGDSCF0550.JPGDSCF0548.JPGIMG_20140401_161949_520.jpg

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #6  
Thank you. I like the Kubota tractors and gut is pulling me that way. As far as grapple I like this although it may be heavier but more solid: Heavy Duty Root Grapple For Skid Steer

Don't forget that the heavier the grapple is the more that it subtracts from your lift power, so the useful load you can lift is less. Also don't forget that the type of steel a grapple is made from greatly contributes to its "toughness" There is a huge difference between standard A36 steel with a psi yield rating of 36,000 pounds differs greatly to hi strength 80,000 lb steel. What I am saying is that all steel does not have the same strength. Go watch a bunch of EA's videos about there in house made grapples, and watch some of the abuse Ted puts their grapples to.

Well, here are the facts. People put grapples on Little Kubota BX SCUTS, and get a lot of use out of them.. So the "you need 50 horse minimum" is crap. So is the Kubota's are junk is also crap.

So, bottom line. a smaller tractor than 50 horsepower may well be all you need, or maybe not. You need to decide how much you need to lift. But to say that a grapple cannot be effective on a smaller tractor is just not correct.

View attachment 452281View attachment 452282View attachment 452283View attachment 452284

Thank you very much for the advice! Great pics too!

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #8  
I need some advice on the right tractor for my primary use of a grapple. I know that they are heavy and tough on tractors. That will be my primary use for the machine. Secondary would be the loader for moving dirt, mulch, etc. No mowing of lawn as of yet. I have just shy of 14 acres that is heavily wooded and would use the grapple to clear much of the deadfall and move cut down trees. Also clearing some trails. <snip>

How big is your budget?
How big are the trees?
Is this a projec that needs to be done SOON or at your leisure?
what type of trees?
Is the 14 acres pine regrowth from a clearcut 10 years ago or old-growth hardwood forest?

A 50 HP Kubota

452291d1451671932-need-help-right-tractor-grapple-img_20151207_150524186_hdr-jpg

for $12K would work just fine, that's what I've got.

But I expect you could easily get by with smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 2,185
Last edited:
There is no urgency for the purchase at my leisure. Budget is flexible, just concerned as I started at 19K now looking at around 30K+. Mostly hardwoods (oak, hickory, and some clusters of short and Virginia pine) and the short needled pine are the weakest and most prone to fall. The land used to be a tobacco farm about 50+ years ago. Picture below of what it looks like and what has fallen and would like to move.

IMG_1452.JPGIMG_1453.JPGIMG_1454.JPGIMG_1455.JPG

/ Need help on Right Tractor For a Grapple. #10  
Doing serious work with a grapple bucket will require a properly sized tractor. How big of a tractor will depend upon what you want to do and the weight of your grapple bucket.

There are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of folks using grapple buckets with Kubotas, no doubt many more than do so with Massey Fergusons.

FWIW, I have experience with both Massey Ferguson and Kubota as well as grapple buckets.

I currently own three Kubotas, two bought within the last two months to replace 2007 and 2012 Massey Fergusons after a very bad experience with Massey Ferguson and their dealer lasting several years. I'm 66 years old, have bought many new tractors, and have otherwise been around the mountain many times. I have never been treated so badly as I have been by Massey Ferguson and their dealer.

Never again.

SDT