Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch
you never said what you are towing with?

I've had a lot of trucks and towed a lot of trailers. Never had a weight distribution hitch.
Always had Air Lift air overloads. adjusted the truck height till it was back up where it was without the trailer.
never a issue.
Toyota Tundra, 10,200 max trailer weight.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #12  
you never said what you are towing with?

I've had a lot of trucks and towed a lot of trailers. Never had a weight distribution hitch.
Always had Air Lift air overloads. adjusted the truck height till it was back up where it was without the trailer.
never a issue.
The thing is even with your air overload system. if the vehicle manufacturer required weight distribution above a certain amount, or the hitch required weight distribution above a certain amount then not using it can get you into some hot water if you are involved in an accident. Some of the new pickup trucks have a 1500 tongue weight 15000 pound towing capacity without weight distributor. But most require weight distribution legally above 500-600 pound tongue weight or 5000-6000 trailer weight. And add on items don't override the manufacturer ratings.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #13  
The thing is even with your air overload system. if the vehicle manufacturer required weight distribution above a certain amount, or the hitch required weight distribution above a certain amount then not using it can get you into some hot water if you are involved in an accident. Some of the new pickup trucks have a 1500 tongue weight 15000 pound towing capacity without weight distributor. But most require weight distribution legally above 500-600 pound tongue weight or 5000-6000 trailer weight. And add on items don't override the manufacturer ratings.

How would you use weight distribution with this combo? Pretty sure he is at max GCW and pulling bumper pull doubles. I would not like this at all, however, it appears to be the norm for Custom Combiners.

0701220350.jpg
HD_Transport_1260x900.png

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #15  
Nick,
When harvest starts, I’ll get some pictures for you. When the header is placed on the trailer, it puts almost all of the weight directly over the axles. There are sliding brackets that allow for some adjustment. Some weight does get transferred to the dolly, but no hitch weight is added. They work really well for what they are designed for.
Bud

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #16  
Nick,
When harvest starts, I’ll get some pictures for you. When the header is placed on the trailer, it puts almost all of the weight directly over the axles. There are sliding brackets that allow for some adjustment. Some weight does get transferred to the dolly, but no hitch weight is added. They work really well for what they are designed for.
Bud

Thanks Bud, I would like that. I do understand the trailer is mostly used behind the combine or behind a big truck and trailer. However, they do pull it with a pickup and in the case of the double tow, he is probably at max gcw. That was why I questioned RandyT ...weight distribution is "Required for max GCW"

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #17  
Thanks Bud, I would like that. I do understand the trailer is mostly used behind the combine or behind a big truck and trailer. However, they do pull it with a pickup and in the case of the double tow, he is probably at max gcw. That was why I questioned RandyT ...weight distribution is "Required for max GCW"
Can't run weight distribution on that but in most states are governed by a whole different set of rules. Limited to 20 mph in some states, and even falls under CDL A with double/triple trailer endorsement in some cases. And that fuel trailer can carry a totally different dimension of the equation.(Hazmat, placard load)

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #18  
How would you use weight distribution with this combo? Pretty sure he is at max GCW and pulling bumper pull doubles. I would not like this at all, however, it appears to be the norm for Custom Combiners.

View attachment 758249
I don't think that load weighs all that much, combine headers are lots of relatively thin sheetmetal and obviously that dolly tongue puts very little hitch weight on the tow vehicle. What it will require is a decent load or ballast in the truck bed.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #19  
I only tow a few times a year but when i do it's a full load down (~8K+) to Mississippi and empty coming back to Va.
I went with an Equal-i-zer hitch.
It's really easy to hook up the second time. The first time I had to fiddle around a bit to get it just right.
I second the Equal-i-zer system, I have a 14k one for our 30' Toyhauler.

/ Need help with purchase of weight distribution hitch #20  
I don't think that load weighs all that much, combine headers are lots of relatively thin sheetmetal and obviously that dolly tongue puts very little hitch weight on the tow vehicle. What it will require is a decent load or ballast in the truck bed.

Even if the fuel tanker trailer is half empty, the combo might weigh 15k. The header trailer is considered a farm trailer, so brakes are optional. Even if it has brakes, for sure there is no plug on the rear for the double. Looks sketchy at best and a hand full at worst. I am no stranger to heavy loads on rough off highway hauling, but for some reason that goofy load behind an empty pickup truck drives me crazy:D

I am plumb fine with this style header trailer.

Trailtech_Head_Swather_Transport_Trailer.jpg