Need trailer wood deck recommendation

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #1  

IXLR8

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-40SE
I have an old trailer and the wooden deck is rotting out and needs to be replaced. I thought there was thread about this but I can't find it. So, what do folks recommend for a new deck to carry my 7K lb tractor?

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #2  
I always used treated pine like most trailers come with.
After it dries out I treat it with a used oil and diesel fuel mixture.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #3  
I did mine possibly treated 2x10?? Now the middle board is starting to rot. It does sit outside 24/7. One thing I fell helped was I had some old throw-away latex paint someone gave me so I slapped that on the top deck after replacing the lumber.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #4  
My trailer has 2x8 treated pine boards. 18 years old now. 5 years ago I removed the old flooring and replaced with 2x8's that are rated for ground contact. These seem to be a better grade than what came on it originally.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #5  
My 22' PJ tilt deck has also been outside 24/7 since new in 2014. Deck is PT pine (2x6) from factory. It does turn green from pollen which makes it slippery when wet but my pressure washer takes it off easily. I also coat mine with diesel and oil mix every couple years.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #6  
For my 7000 lb-rated 1993 landscape trailer, I used pressure treated Southern yellow pine 2 x 10s. That's lasted 27 years so far, with no signs of deterioration. The trailer sits outside 24/7 under a big pine tree. Every two or three years I've been brushing on a clear or tinted deck sealer after hosing or lightly pressure washing it.

The original 1993 decking was painted, untreated pine or fir. It was rotting out in places within four years. Of course it didn't help that I hauled a few loads of shredded hardwood mulch one summer and didn't clean up very carefully. Won't make that mistake again!

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #7  
I would check in your area for a place that sells Marine grade Lumber. Bring it home and let it dry. This does two things, it allows the wood to shrink, and it allows the wood to soak up oil.

I would then build a box of two by eights or two by sixes longer than the longest boards on my trailer. Line the box with a heavy builders plastic to make a trough. Then you can fill the box with a stack of lumber with spacers between the layers and pour in whatever preservative you want. I have used diesel and used oil mixed and I’ve also used linseed oil. Allow them to soak for as long as you reasonably can before attaching them to your trailer.

It is kind of messy as you wait for them to dry back up from the oil bath. But if you’ve got the room to do it the bath will sure let your wood last longer.

I used this process when I built a small house here in Florida. The siding which was dipped in linseed oil has held up extremely well for 30 years. I have to add also that it was Cyprus Lumber that I used to do the board and batten siding.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #9  
Around here the old timers (including me :)) swear by rough sawn white oak from a mill . After about a year, pour used diesel engine oil on and let it get absorbed before using and your good to go for many years.

/ Need trailer wood deck recommendation #10  
Around here the old timers (including me :)) swear by rough sawn white oak from a mill . After about a year, pour used diesel engine oil on and let it get absorbed before using and your good to go for many years.
Yeah, what he said!!! Just a little treatment every few years and it will last for ages and be much stronger anything else (wooden) you can use.