Needed an easy way to pull fence posts

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Thought this might be interesting to other members that need a way to easily pull fence posts or the like.

Over the past summer I installed my share of fencing. In the process of finishing a homeowners yard that had just installed an in-ground pool and an ornamental aluminum fence a landscapers Bob-Cat operator got a little to close to and damaged the fence that I had just installed.

As a result it was up to me to make the repair. As it turns out the day that I picked for the repair was high humidity and over 90 degrees in temperature. I had to manually dig out an aluminum fence post that had been set in 120 pounds of concrete. As I dug that hole using a shovel and spud bar I decided right then that I was going to come up with an easier solution for the next repair.

After searching the Internet I found several variations of jacks that claimed to easily pull fence posts with concrete plugs still attached. The jacks sold for upward of $600.00 :eek:

The picture was my 1st attempt at a solution and used a farm jack that I had previously purchased from Harbor Freight, an old 3-point frame, and a set of wheels that came off an old chipper. It worked fair, but proved to be way to flimsy for pulling posts set in concrete.

Attachments

• initial_jack.jpg
    initial_jack.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3,396
   / Needed an easy way to pull fence posts
I quickly learned that keeping the center of gravity as low as possible is a big advantage. The final design uses a hydraulic cylinder purchased from Harbor Freight and rated at 8 tons.

I used a hook on the lift arm so that a chain could be used to help pull the posts. I have used this jack and it is much smoother in operation. I have used it to pull 6 X 6 posts set in concrete without problems.

The main support post is 2" X 2" X 1/4" steel. It is made to come apart just under the point where the pivot arm attach駸 to it. Disassembling the jack makes it easy to load in the van or trailer without taking up to much space.

When pulling a post there is no weight put on the wheels which is a plus. Once the post has been pulled the jack can be tilted back and used as a dolly to transport the post.

Attachments

• jack77.jpg
    jack77.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • jack78.jpg
    jack78.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,481
I took an old pallet puller and did a little welding on it so that it could be used in conjunction with the jack. If a fence post is rotted or broken off at ground level the puller can be used to pull the concrete plug so you don't have to manually dig it out. My back is still thanking me for making this gadget.:D

The original pallet puller looked like the picture on the right.

Attachments

• tongs.jpg
    tongs.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,021
  • tongs2.jpg
    tongs2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 619
   / Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #4  
Pretty neat job, Mike.

Thanks for the complement Bird!

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #6  
You have a TC-40, did you try the loader and chain to lift them out? If no loader, consider the 3 pt. Place a drawbar between the lift links, lower the 3pt to the ground, attach chain and lift. It takes a tough post not to come out of the ground with a 3 pt. Most 3 pts will lift more than the tractor loader. Most 3 pts are rated to lift 24" behind the lift arms. This method puts the lifting power right at the lift arms and will lift significantly more than the rated lift. You can also use the tractor to move the post forward and back while you lift to loosen the post. Simple method-if you have a tractor and can get the tractor to the post.

If that doesn't work, get a bigger tractor. Our biggest tractor 3 pt can lift 18,900 lbs 24" back on the 3 pt.:D

You have a TC-40, did you try the loader and chain to lift them out? If no loader, consider the 3 pt. Place a drawbar between the lift links, lower the 3pt to the ground, attach chain and lift. It takes a tough post not to come out of the ground with a 3 pt. Most 3 pts will lift more than the tractor loader. Most 3 pts are rated to lift 24" behind the lift arms. This method puts the lifting power right at the lift arms and will lift significantly more than the rated lift. You can also use the tractor to move the post forward and back while you lift to loosen the post. Simple method-if you have a tractor and can get the tractor to the post.

If that doesn't work, get a bigger tractor. Our biggest tractor 3 pt can lift 18,900 lbs 24" back on the 3 pt.:D

I have no way to get my tractor to the job-site. My van isn't powerful enough to pull it and as a result I never purchased a trailer. The jack can be taken anywhere and is a LOT cheaper. :rolleyes:

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #8  
I have no way to get my tractor to the job-site. My van isn't powerful enough to pull it and as a result I never purchased a trailer. The jack can be taken anywhere and is a LOT cheaper. :rolleyes:

If you can't get the tractor to the post, then your invention should work just fine. The jack should give plenty of lift, just takes a little time. The portability of your jack is great. Good job making do with what you have!

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #9  
It is said, "Necessity is the mother of invention". Add to that the desire to avoid backache and sore muscles and you have a winning combination.

You are a winner Pineridge! You found that combination. Great job!

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #10  
In my quite recent BT days (before tractor) I've used an old steel wheel (the bigger, the better) and my truck to pull out posts. Wrap a strap or chain (I prefer strap in case something slips) around the post as low as possible. Run the strap over the top of an old wheel standing on edge like it would if it were on a vehicle, then attach the other end to the truck and slowly pull.

The wheel acts as a redirect changing the horizontal motion of the the pulling truck to a vertical motion. The larger the wheel, the more vertical lift you can acheive. You may have to reposition the strap further down the post once it starts lifting if the wheel is small or the post is deep.

As always, be careful when pulling as there is always the danger of something letting go all at once. That's why I prefer a strap to a chain. If it slips or breaks, there's far less of a chance of damage or injury.