Needed an easy way to pull fence posts

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #21  
Thought this might be interesting to other members that need a way to easily pull fence posts or the like.

I did something similar to his photo, (below), years ago. I sawed the posts off, flush with the ground, ran a big lag bolt into the top. Placed a large piece of wood, about 2" thick, with a hole in the center. Put a chain, with a 2 fingered hook, through the hole, onto the bolt head. And pulled them out, with an old bumper jack.

Attachments

• 116482d1229354624-needed-easy-way-pull-fence-initial_jack.jpg
    116482d1229354624-needed-easy-way-pull-fence-initial_jack.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 197
   / Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #22  
Mike,
Excellent thinking making your post puller. I love that it's so portable.
One thing I've noticed about those bottle jacks is it takes a lot of strokes to get full extension. I wish there was a way to get that part done a little faster.
If you don't mind, I'll keep your photos to make one for myself. I know just where to use it where I can't get my tractor to.
Rob-

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts
Rob there actually is a way. Harbor Freight sells the same 8 ton cylinder that's hydraulic/air. I'm sure a small pancake compressor will supply enough air. I seriously considered it myself. See it here

You must be older than me...... ;)

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #24  
Ha, yes I am older than you Mike.
I saw where you posted your age once, so I know.
But if you add a small pancake air compressor, would your unit would be a smidgen less portable? Perhaps there's another way in that line of thinking though?

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts
Rob, I wouldn't add the pancake compressor to the jack. It would only be connected to the jack via the air hose. And pancake compressors are small and lightweight. I carry a Porter Cable in the truck anyway to power up the framing nailer's.

It would only be one more thing to unload off the truck, no biggie as I see it.

I CAN see where the air/hydraulic cylinder would take some of the work involved out of using the jack. However manually using the hydraulic jack still beats the devil out of a shovel, hands down........

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #26  
I CAN see where the air/hydraulic cylinder would take some of the work involved out of using the jack. However manually using the hydraulic jack still beats the devil out of a shovel, hands down........
Agreed...
I was thinking about getting the tension on the chain quickly.
I would think once you got it where it was tight, hand pumping the fence post and concrete base out of the ground might be fun. lol ... Makes you feel sorta powerful.

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #27  
Northern Tool & Equipment has a few that any of us should be able to make up pretty quick. t post puller from Northern Tool + Equipment

I've got to move some riding arenas and reconfigure the pastures before camp starts in May so I'm thinking of making something like the tractor mounted one to make this one man go a bit longer between breaks.

BTW you guys are my new best bad influences. :D

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #28  
My Goals for 2008

1. Fishing and Hunting with my kids.
2. Build my storage Shed.
3. Put my outside access bathroom together.
4. Fence in a quarter acre for Turkeys.
5. Build my gazebo for my front pasture.
6. Finish back pasture and plant it in Bermuda.
7. Start my food plots.
8. Build a comfortable deer stand for two.
9. Build a wood burning fireplace in my home.
10. New flooring in my home.
11. Build a pasture sprayer.
12. Get my old jeep running.
Eddie

Bit off topic Eddie, but how many projects have you knocked off that list?