Needed an easy way to pull fence posts

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #11  
I once used the snow plow lift cylinder that was mounted on my pickup to pull out 4 x 4 posts that were 3 ft deep and set in concrete.

It would lift about 12" per cycle lift using chain that I would do a double wrap around the pole. Fortunately I had easy vehicle access. Two lift cycles and I'd back off dragging the post/concrete mess each time.

Recalled that we pulled out some 10 posts in about all of 30 mins.

Now loading the concrete mess into the pickup was another story as that was BTD (before tractor days), sure was heavy and hard to manage.

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #12  
I quickly learned that keeping the center of gravity as low as possible is a big advantage. The final design uses a hydraulic cylinder purchased from Harbor Freight and rated at 8 tons.

Hi PR, and Merry Christmas!

Pretty sweet looking post puller you designed. I bet you could even pull a few saplings growing in the fence line.

I'm wondering, because of the distance from the hook to the shaft, does the slide ever get into a bind? I guess if it did, you could grease it.

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts
Hi PR, and Merry Christmas!

Pretty sweet looking post puller you designed. I bet you could even pull a few saplings growing in the fence line.

I'm wondering, because of the distance from the hook to the shaft, does the slide ever get into a bind? I guess if it did, you could grease it.

Hi Bob, Merry Christmas to you also!

I'm not shure what you mean by slide? The piston has never jammed as of yet.

I once used the snow plow lift cylinder that was mounted on my pickup to pull out 4 x 4 posts that were 3 ft deep and set in concrete.

It would lift about 12" per cycle lift using chain that I would do a double wrap around the pole. Fortunately I had easy vehicle access. Two lift cycles and I'd back off dragging the post/concrete mess each time.

Recalled that we pulled out some 10 posts in about all of 30 mins.

Now loading the concrete mess into the pickup was another story as that was BTD (before tractor days), sure was heavy and hard to manage.

Piloon that an idea that I hadn't even thought of and a good one at that! I don't have a plow like you do but if I did could have saved making the jack.

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #15  
In my quite recent BT days (before tractor) I've used an old steel wheel (the bigger, the better) and my truck to pull out posts. Wrap a strap or chain (I prefer strap in case something slips) around the post as low as possible. Run the strap over the top of an old wheel standing on edge like it would if it were on a vehicle, then attach the other end to the truck and slowly pull.

The wheel acts as a redirect changing the horizontal motion of the the pulling truck to a vertical motion. The larger the wheel, the more vertical lift you can acheive. You may have to reposition the strap further down the post once it starts lifting if the wheel is small or the post is deep.

As always, be careful when pulling as there is always the danger of something letting go all at once. That's why I prefer a strap to a chain. If it slips or breaks, there's far less of a chance of damage or injury.

I had forgotton about that old classic method. I have heard of people using old, larger diameter truck rims and run the chain over the rim and then drive forward and lift out the post.

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #16  
While I've never done this with T posts, I've found that a bottle jack works great at getting post out of the ground. I have a 20 ton bottle jack that I keep in my truck tool box that will take out any sized post set in concrete, and a small 2 ton bottle jack that I've only used a few times, but it also worked.

The trick to using a bottle jack is attaching something to the post. I usually screw a piece of wood onto the side of a wood post and then jack it up from underneath. For pipes in the ground where I have to take the pipe and cement out, I cut a hole in the pipe with my torch and slide another pipe through the hole. Then put the jack under the pipe and up it comes.

I've never had to jack a post more then just a few inches to get it to break free. Then I can wiggle and work it out by hand.

For T posts, I'd think that a V shaped piece of steel welded onto a Pipe Coupling would probably work great. It would be light weight, easy to store and carry around, and easily have enough power to get a T post out of the ground. Just slide the V notch over the bumps on the side of the post and start jacking. Once it breaks free, it should come out by hand real easy.

With all the rain and moisture in the air, I might just build one. Can't do anything else outside right now. LOL

Eddie

While I've never done this with T posts, I've found that a bottle jack works great at getting post out of the ground. I have a 20 ton bottle jack that I keep in my truck tool box that will take out any sized post set in concrete, and a small 2 ton bottle jack that I've only used a few times, but it also worked.

The trick to using a bottle jack is attaching something to the post. I usually screw a piece of wood onto the side of a wood post and then jack it up from underneath. For pipes in the ground where I have to take the pipe and cement out, I cut a hole in the pipe with my torch and slide another pipe through the hole. Then put the jack under the pipe and up it comes.

I've never had to jack a post more then just a few inches to get it to break free. Then I can wiggle and work it out by hand.

For T posts, I'd think that a V shaped piece of steel welded onto a Pipe Coupling would probably work great. It would be light weight, easy to store and carry around, and easily have enough power to get a T post out of the ground. Just slide the V notch over the bumps on the side of the post and start jacking. Once it breaks free, it should come out by hand real easy.

With all the rain and moisture in the air, I might just build one. Can't do anything else outside right now. LOL

Eddie

Eddie some of the best ideas are the simple ones. Make that gadget that you're talking about and get a few investors together to market it. Eddie = $$$$$$

/ Needed an easy way to pull fence posts #19  
Hi Bob, Merry Christmas to you also!

I'm not shure what you mean by slide? The piston has never jammed as of yet.

I may be looking at it wrong. I was thinking the horizontal bar with the chain hook on it travelled upward when you jack it.

Bob that bar is attached at a pivot point to the main support. The cylinder merely drives the arm upward it's really a pretty simple design.

My wife said the jack reminds her of me, simple. :D