Neighbors and their many running wild dogs

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #41  
We had a pack of pit bull/Pit bull cross dogs killing lots of livestock in our area. Killed Sheep, Alpacas, attacked cow/calves and lots of poultry. I put a baby monitor on the calve shed that was in the small pasture in front of our house. One black night at 3AM dogs got into the calve pasture and lucky they did lots of barking. I got out of bed pretty quick and went out with a flash light and my 357 magnum and not all the dogs got to go home. Worst thing is to be nice to the owner that lets their dogs run. Frankly they don't give a Sh*t about you and your animals. We did have animal control but they have a pretty big area to cover and not many out at that time of the morning to help. By the time anyone would have gotten here some if not all of my calve would have been wounded or killed. I do not have any patience for the really wilfully ignorant people that let their dogs run wild.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #42  
That letting your animals run loose and not take responsibility for them irritates me to no end. Neighbor at the end of the road had a dog that ran loose and was a menace. Would go after other people's animals and kept the neighborhood held hostage. Owner stated that the area was his dogs territory before we moved in :confused2: Even stated that he figured someone would poison it before to long.

Owner got repeated complaints about the dog. Dog even attacked a car in my driveway. Owner of the car filed a police report, filed an insurance claim, and insurance company went after the dogs owner. Not sure if he paid them, but there was at least $1500 to smooth scratches and repaint the car.

I put it down when it ran up to my grandson, got in his face and started growling at him in my front yard. Grandson was two at the time.

I ended up getting dragged into court over it since the dogs owner got there knickers in a twist, but was able to get the charges dropped and case dismissed.

My advice, keep sending the police over there, and get video proof of them being destructive and a menace before putting them down. If not, you could have a court case and be charged with cruelty to animals. It's much better to get the dog owner charged and forced to own up to there ignorance.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #43  
I had a similar problem, and I came up with a solution that worked perfect for me. I didn't want to shoot the dogs, nor start a feud with the neighbor by getting law enforcement involved. What I did was to spend about $100 on a half decent airsoft assault rifle. It's electrically operated (rechargeable battery) and fires the little biodegradable 6mm pellets at around 300 rounds-per-minute.

Seldom have any of my hairbrained schemes worked out as well as this. The marauding dogs HATE this thing and head for the hills at high speed after getting hosed down. I have had a couple come cautiously back weeks later, but firing a burst in their direction even hundreds of feet away makes them run. None have returned after a couple of exposures. Having said that, I don't have chickens, so the incentive might be too much for them.

When I bought this thing I asked the guy at the counter how powerful they are. He shrugged and said, "I guess it might sting a little if you get hit." I took it home, charged it, loaded it up, and walked out of the garage looking for something to test it on. My aluminum cargo trailer was about 80 feet away, so i figured that might be a good test. I fired a burst, and instantly left 6 quite evident dents in the side of the trailer.

KIMG0226.jpg

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #44  
My apologies. I will cease to comment and will simply wish you .... best of luck.

I don't condone or put up with out of control dogs. Nor should you.

But once you shoot his dog, with no warning, I hope he is more forgiving and mellow than *some* folks could be. Best of luck and happy hunting!!
You are absolutely right. It never ceases to amaze me how PO'ed people will get when one of their animals finally gets shot, trapped, or hit by a car after running around loose for years.

When I was growing up there were several free ranging dogs on the road that our family camp was on which would chase us when we walked the town road past their camp. One day I got scared and started running when a GS started chasing me ( I was about 12 at the time); he grabbed me, tearing my jeans and just barely drawing blood. I never told anybody because I thought it was my fault for running. It wasn't until I got my own dog that I realized I had done nothing wrong.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs
My apologies. I will cease to comment and will simply wish you .... best of luck.

I don't condone or put up with out of control dogs. Nor should you.

But once you shoot his dog, with no warning, I hope he is more forgiving and mellow than *some* folks could be. Best of luck and happy hunting!!

I have run his dogs off a couple of times. He was talked to about his dogs being on my property and running my chickens. He didn't seem to care.

As I stated, I have never shot any animal, but enough is enough.
I catch them again running after my chickens and trying to access the pen and I'm shooting them with the BB/pellet gun. They come back and I'll take care of them for good.

At this point, I really don't care if he's forgiving or not

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #46  
We use a single pump BB gun. Hit them a few times in the beginning. Now they don稚 get anywhere close. At least worth a try before the 12Ga.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #47  
I have run his dogs off a couple of times. He was talked to about his dogs being on my property and running my chickens. He didn't seem to care.

As I stated, I have never shot any animal, but enough is enough.
I catch them again running after my chickens and trying to access the pen and I'm shooting them with the BB/pellet gun. They come back and I'll take care of them for good.

At this point, I really don't care if he's forgiving or not

I had a neighbor who's dog was climbing into my kennel to try and breed one of my beagles. While I realize a female dog in heat is the ultimate lure I still expect my neighbors to keep their animals off my property. After a couple of warnings I told him if it happened again I was going to take care of it once and for all. He replied he would probably do the same but would never have told anyone. I explained to him I was TRYING to be a good neighbor and save him and his family the grief of loosing a pet. Then I said I wasn't afraid of him or his reactions and left. Never saw the dog on my land again.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #48  
I had a similar problem, and I came up with a solution that worked perfect for me. I didn't want to shoot the dogs, nor start a feud with the neighbor by getting law enforcement involved. What I did was to spend about $100 on a half decent airsoft assault rifle. It's electrically operated (rechargeable battery) and fires the little biodegradable 6mm pellets at around 300 rounds-per-minute.

Seldom have any of my hairbrained schemes worked out as well as this. The marauding dogs HATE this thing and head for the hills at high speed after getting hosed down. I have had a couple come cautiously back weeks later, but firing a burst in their direction even hundreds of feet away makes them run. None have returned after a couple of exposures. Having said that, I don't have chickens, so the incentive might be too much for them.

When I bought this thing I asked the guy at the counter how powerful they are. He shrugged and said, "I guess it might sting a little if you get hit." I took it home, charged it, loaded it up, and walked out of the garage looking for something to test it on. My aluminum cargo trailer was about 80 feet away, so i figured that might be a good test. I fired a burst, and instantly left 6 quite evident dents in the side of the trailer.

View attachment 560701

I like this idea. As you can tell, I'm a softy on killing or hurting things, but I draw the line at marauding canines. They chase the fawns, kill rabbits and other wildlife. Poop all over the place. A couple broke into a neighbor's hutch and killed all their pet rabbits. They quickly become aggressive to people as well. Neighbor's dog (pit mix) will attack me on my own property.

I may get one of these guns.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #49  
. Neighbor's dog (pit mix) will attack me on my own property.

I may get one of these guns.
I would deal with this very quickly and start by reporting it to the sheriff. And protect yourself by any means possible.

/ Neighbors and their many running wild dogs #50  
I would deal with this very quickly and start by reporting it to the sheriff. And protect yourself by any means possible.

I hate to do that in this case, as these aren't trashy neighbors, but good farming folk with hundreds of acres adjoining my property, and we do the "good neighbor" thing and help each other and enjoy talking.

Like all pit owners, they insist the dog is "actually very sweet." I always think to myself, "Yes, to YOU." grrrr

It doesn't happen often, maybe once a year. My current method is to stop, not make eye contact, start slowly and quietly backing away, grab the nearest big stick, and duck behind the nearest tree or bush to get out of her eyeline. Then when I'm 100 feet from the house quietly run like heck. Then get mad.