New BX2380 Owner

/ New BX2380 Owner #1  

fireman922

Tractor
Kobuta BX2380
Long time listener, first time caller.

I just picked up a used BX2380 with 30 hours on it. It has the FEL with quick disconnect bucket, MMM, and I stuck on my old 48" box blade to complete the package. The extent of my tractor experience is maybe 20 hours of dragging around the box blade behind an old B6000 and watching local farmers working 1000s of acres of corn and beans. This total experience really only qualifies me as a danger to myself and anyone nearby. I have a couple of questions to ask you knowledgeable members.
1. Is there anything I really need to watch out for with this model? I mean besides normal maintenance.
2. I know I can lock the MMM up while using the box blade. Is there a way to lock the box blade up while using the MMM?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to looking through all the information available on this forum.

Paul

/ New BX2380 Owner #2  
Don't feel so alone at this. Many thousands began gaining experience just as you are. You are in 'good company' here among many listening ears and huge amounts of experience. I'd say you came to the right place. But there is no teacher to equal your own experience and that is downright healthy. I will throw in a few comments not of any great value but to start a discussion. I'm sure you will hear many (and at times more than you want to hear ! Ha!)

1. With only 30 hrs on it that is a NEW tractor as seen by pretty well everyone. Nice basic set of attachments and VERY marketable if you ever need to resell.
2. You will get overloaded with pages of do this and do that (filters, etc.) In my opinion with a tractor that young you do not need to do ANYTHING but just use it and gain experience.
3. If it didn't come with an Owner's Manual it should have. I strongly recommend you browse through that and pick up all you can. It is more a reference book than something you read cover to cover, but with your self description you may as well darn near read it cover to cover.
4. On these BX's your MMM raise/lower is intimately tied to your rear 3pt hitch raise and lower. Nothing I know of you can do about that. As you say you can no doubt fasten the MMM in up most position but there is no such thing for the 3pt.
5. Some early advice: a) The knob that sets your mowing height (black phenolic, round, maybe 3" in diameter) should not be turned unless the hydraulic lift has the mower fully lifted as high as it will go. Then that knob should turn fairly easily. When the hydraulic lift lever is down, the weight of the deck is resting on the small internals below that black knob and if you try to adjust or turn it then it is essentially impossible to turn ... AND of you try hard enough you will break the black knob. MANY people have. Including me. b) There is a screen between the radiator and the fan. That needs to be kept clean of grass and debris as does the radiator itself. These machines overheat rather easily if those are not kept clean. Water works but I usually use compressed air. Not super high pressure as it is possible to damage the radiator vanes with very pointed high pressure air. c) I'd certainly talk to the previous owner and see what all they did with it and to it. Maybe/probably you already did that. d) If you are not a user of other diesel engines it is worth saying -- you need to always be cautious avoiding crud/dirt/debris of any kind getting into the fuel. Water is especially bad. e) Before you have occasion to remove the deck or sharpen blades, etc. study that little mower deck booklet. And ask people who have done it before. Should be quite a while (next season?) before you have any need to get into that.
6. You are going to find that FEL and bucket the handiest thing you ever bought, and it will surprise you how much so.

Good luck. Enjoy the new machine. Let us nosey tractor people know it goes.

Last edited:
   / New BX2380 Owner #3  
On my older BX there are two brackets that are an alternate place to connect the lifting links. That would keep the box blade up. Or if you were creative you could probably accomplish the same thing using some chain to attach the box blade to the eyelets.

Doug in SW IA

/ New BX2380 Owner #4  
I have the JD 2305 an BX2380 ( same size). Few things I have read an learned myself with the bucket. No matter what load, once picked up. Example: scooping up dirt, Never travel with load up. Risk tip over. Have weight on back with item in bucket. This will help front gears. Box blade is enough.
Never push on a dead tree with bucket up to try to knock over. Dr did this in TX. Top broke out an landed on him. And lastly, if you have a log in the bucket, when lifted two high. Can roll out of bucket an right down the arms an end up in lap.
I personally picked up a 3’, diam chunk of wood, tried to put on top of wood pile, flipped out the back an crushed my hood ( JD). $900 mistake. Just some items for considering. Good luck an enjoy.

/ New BX2380 Owner #5  
Get a piranha blade from BXpanded and bolt it onto the bucket you will love it. It makes digging into dirt piles and clearing brush/saplings so much easier as well as back dragging. JMO. FYI I'm not affiliated with BXpanded in any way I'm in SE Texas and they're in the Carolinas.

/ New BX2380 Owner #6  
Welcome to TBN…

My soon to be 20 year old BX23 has been a workhorse since day one…

/ New BX2380 Owner #7  
On my older BX there are two brackets that are an alternate place to connect the lifting links. That would keep the box blade up. Or if you were creative you could probably accomplish the same thing using some chain to attach the box blade to the eyelets.

Doug in SW IA
Yeah BUT,... you cannot restrict the lift arms of the 3pt hitch from lowering. The BX machines use the two lift arms as prime movers to raise the MMM deck. So I don't see how you fasten up the box blade without encumbering the lift arms & that would preclude raising and lowering your MMM.

/ New BX2380 Owner #8  
   / New BX2380 Owner #9  
If you mow often keep an eye on the radiator. The debris screen does not keep the small stuff out. You will have to blow it out from time to time or it will overheat.

Dave

/ New BX2380 Owner #10  
Yes, you can restrict the lift arms from lowering. You un-pin the linkage from the lift arms and pin it to the "holding plates" just above. (Plates have a hole that the pin goes thru.)

Attachments

• DSCN3128.jpg
    DSCN3128.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 412

Attachments

• holder plate.jpg
    holder plate.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited: