New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #41  
(y) Blows my mind how many appear to have 75K + of “grocery getters” for daily driving. The ones I personally know only use them 3-4 times a year as a truck.
Maybe some people only have access to one vehicle.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #42  
I think there are a bunch of deals right now that are expiring soon.
Yes, in hopes of making you think you have to act now to get that deal. Many will be extended or changed to a better deal. The lots in so many places are full of pickups that prices can only come down or rebates/discounts increase.
Crazy how many videos on Youtube showing dealer lots full and the truck market has crashed!

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #43  
I own 3 trucks. 1 is 55 years old, 1 is 25 years old and 1 is 8 years. I will never buy another one. So not “waiting”. I am 56, no idea how anyone can say “you can’t take it with you”. I will be broke long before I die. Social security realistically will never pay me a single penny of the 100’s of thousands I have paid into it. Average healthcare spend for someone over 60 is a $156,000 by the time they die…. Broke, most people my age will die penny less.

I guess people a little older than me have a pension. People my age don’t generally have those. Save your money, unless you plan on working till you die.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #44  
Maybe some people only have access to one vehicle.
perhaps. Loudon, Stafford, King George, Culpepper, Winchester and most of Md are in my “regular stomping ground”. Very few seem to have such limited resources.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?
Well, there is certainly much to consider. Thank you for all of the responses.

We have smaller "daily driver" vehicles, even though I prefer driving the current diesel pickup. So, I could lower the accumulated miles on the existing truck by restricting it to only tow situations. Maybe avoid the high cost of a new truck? But still, at 250k miles, much could strand me on the side of the road over Donner Summit. My GMC 2500HD has the original everything-- water pump, oil pump, power steering pump, alternator, etc. Been a good vehicle.

I received some very insightful information which caused me to look again at a gasser instead. Some further research came up with a pretty good comparison. Although this is for camper-borne "towing," I think it is relevant. They really like the Ford 7.3 Godzilla gas engine. I don't have much experience with Ford. My '72 Pantera has a Ford 351 V8, pretty much the opposite of a tow application. Beyond that, my last Ford vehicle was a Maverick (sedan, not truck!)

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #46  
Since it is your thread, we kinda need a picture of the Pantera, for all us car guys !

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #47  
OEM's are seeing the EV demand plummet.

.gov can not force a market. A showdown is coming.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #48  
I received some very insightful information which caused me to look again at a gasser instead. Some further research came up with a pretty good comparison. Although this is for camper-borne "towing," I think it is relevant. They really like the Ford 7.3 Godzilla gas engine.
I too have heard a lot of good things about the 7.3 gas engine from Ford. All the early problems have been corrected and it is very dependable.

However......if you are still going to be towing 10,000 lbs over Donner consistently you are going to want a diesel with an exhaust brake. At Donner's elevation that gas 7.3 won't be nearly as powerful, and going back down the slope you'll be riding the brakes because, good as that 7.3 is, it can't hold back all that weight as well as a diesel with an exhaust brake.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #49  
Social security realistically will never pay me a single penny of the 100’s of thousands I have paid into it.
Why??
I've been retired for 7 years now, drawing Social Security so I'm wondering why you will never be able to draw it. Are you planning to die at age 62?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #50  
Why??
I've been retired for 7 years now, drawing Social Security so I'm wondering why you will never be able to draw it. Are you planning to die at age 62?
That's a good question for him. Here is another.
How did he manage to pay in "100’s of thousands" to social security?

This year, the the Social Security wage base limit is $168,600. And at 6.2% comes to $10,453.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT