New Front Tires

/ New Front Tires #1  

Dwellonroof

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3046r
Well since I am so hard on my tractor tires I am replacing the 2 front ones on my John Deere 2720.
2 years ago the one snagged a rock and cut the sidewall, I had to put a tube in it and now I used the tractor to clean-up the roof shingles that were removed from the barn and they are full of nails.
She has industrial on her now but after researching specs. I ordered these (Multi-Trac C/S 23x8.50-12 Carlisle #574372) turf tires.
Off to work I go so pictures to come.

/ New Front Tires #2  
4wd tractors with loaders are extremely hard on front tires. Load them beyond their rated capacity frequently. I replaced them on my M9540 at 1300hrs. Look forward to your pics.

/ New Front Tires #3  
Given that the 2720 has M4WD, you need to be careful when mixing tire types as any change in circumference will put extra stress on your front driveshaft.

/ New Front Tires #4  
Given that the 2720 has M4WD, you need to be careful when mixing tire types as any change in circumference will put extra stress on your front driveshaft.

And it will eat the front tires if the rotation speed is not matching the gear ratio. Being heavier, the rear speed of rotation will dictate the rotation speed of the fronts and any difference will cause the front tires to "skid" a little bit continuously, even in gravel.

/ New Front Tires #5  
And it will eat the front tires if the rotation speed is not matching the gear ratio. Being heavier, the rear speed of rotation will dictate the rotation speed of the fronts and any difference will cause the front tires to "skid" a little bit continuously, even in gravel.

Yep. Almost all tractors produced in the last decade or so have been geared with a slight "pull". Fronts having a few percent faster ground speed. This allows them to make sharper turns while in 4wd. My M9540 is such.

My 35 year old Ford is identically geared. No scuff or binding when running straight. Doesn't turn well at all. Horrible "push".

/ New Front Tires #6  

Actually, most current SCUT/CUT tractors have the gear ratio setup so the front tires pull slightly.

/ New Front Tires #7  
Well since I am so hard on my tractor tires I am replacing the 2 front ones on my John Deere 2720.
2 years ago the one snagged a rock and cut the sidewall, I had to put a tube in it and now I used the tractor to clean-up the roof shingles that were removed from the barn and they are full of nails.
She has industrial on her now but after researching specs. I ordered these (Multi-Trac C/S 23x8.50-12 Carlisle #574372) turf tires.
Off to work I go so pictures to come.

On the 2720 from the manual;

Front Wheels and Tires
Standard 24x8.5-14 R3

Optional 23x8.5-12 R4

You're going to need new rims with those new tires.

/ New Front Tires #8  
Dwellonroof I ordered these (Multi-Trac C/S 23x8.50-12 Carlisle #574372) turf tires.

On the 2720 from the manual;

You're going to need new rims with those new tires.

If I read the OP's comments correctly, he purchased turf style tires that fit his R4 rims.

/ New Front Tires #9  
Dwellonroof I ordered these (Multi-Trac C/S 23x8.50-12 Carlisle #574372) turf tires.

If I read the OP's comments correctly, he purchased turf style tires that fit his R4 rims.

If that's the case, it's the first I have herd of it. Good for the OP, great find. Hope it works out for you.

/ New Front Tires
Thanks for the replies and Yes, I do know about the rotation and I am almost continually in 4wd
Here’s the pictures IMG_2186.JPGIMG_2187.JPGIMG_2189.JPGIMG_2190.JPG
New tires should be here in about a week