New Holland 68 square baler

/ New Holland 68 square baler #21  
Buying a new chain is a good idea. I forgot to mention that the number of links also matters.

/ New Holland 68 square baler
Buying a new chain is a good idea. I forgot to mention that the number of links also matters.

Thanks if chains are replaced should all be replace they look like 2040 and 2050 chains. The one that's in the 68 that controls the hay rakes I have no idea what they are but are pretty darn big

/ New Holland 68 square baler #23  
And I'll add, when you are ready to test cycle the baler again don't use your tractor. Do it by hand turning the flywheel. Once it will turn a complete revolution without problems trip the baler and cause it to tie without twine first. That will test the timing of the plunger/needles. All of this should be done by hand so you don't break something else in the process.

If you can get the baler to complete these functions without locking up or breaking something then you can load it with twine. Hook it to your tractor and hand feed the baler in an attempt to produce a bale. Understand you have to fill the chamber clear back to the chamber adjusters before it's going to make a successful tie.

Once you are to that point, then the fun begins. Learning how to adjust the chamber for bale tightness. Learning how to adjust the knotters to get a successful knot.

Very steep learning curve. I've saw men use a square baler for years and never get to the point they could make a good bale. :)

And I'll add, when you are ready to test cycle the baler again don't use your tractor. Do it by hand turning the flywheel. Once it will turn a complete revolution without problems trip the baler and cause it to tie without twine first. That will test the timing of the plunger/needles. All of this should be done by hand so you don't break something else in the process.

If you can get the baler to complete these functions without locking up or breaking something then you can load it with twine. Hook it to your tractor and hand feed the baler in an attempt to produce a bale. Understand you have to fill the chamber clear back to the chamber adjusters before it's going to make a successful tie.

Once you are to that point, then the fun begins. Learning how to adjust the chamber for bale tightness. Learning how to adjust the knotters to get a successful knot.

Very steep learning curve. I've saw men use a square baler for years and never get to the point they could make a good bale. :)

Thanks you are making me want to sell them and just keep rolling my hay :)

/ New Holland 68 square baler #25  
Our Hayliner 68 was amazingly reliable. We just had to keep it greased and oiled, and change out the occasional pick up teeth. Oh ya, and never let it get out of time.

That's good to know... I wish I could post pictures it's way out of time plunger hits needle block when spent by hand.

/ New Holland 68 square baler #27  

May I ask how number of links in a roller chain matters??

No matter how many links the chain has when chain is installed there's going to be the same number of links on the drive side(tension) of chain between the drive & driven sprocket & normally with an idler taking up slack in chain on opposite un-driven chain side of sprockets.
Thank you,Jim

/ New Holland 68 square baler #28  
You're probably right. I know that on the "rake that pulls the hay in, the chain not only pulls it horizontally, it also moves it vertically up and out of the way on the return stroke. All I remember from 50 years ago is that we were meticulous on the timing and keeping the chains intact.

/ New Holland 68 square baler #29  
I've operated/repaired small sq balers since the late 1960's & I can't envision how number of links in a roller chain will affect timing of moving parts. I know it doesn't affect JD small sq balers which is what I'm more familiar with & own.

How do you upload pics on here?