New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
I too had a laugh on that one too. Some architects are...well, full of themselves.

Unfortunately, it's not the architect who feels he wants/needs to review them. The township requires it in all cases!!! :shocked: I guess the township is doing CYA to insure that the materials installed trully meet what was specified.

In addition, the architect specified TJI brand truss joists and Microllam beams and the roof truss manufacturer uses Rosboro BigBeams and Nordic-Joist brand truss joists. Both are cheaper and STRONGER than the ones spec'd by the architect but now he has to review to insure the load characteristics meet what he spec'd. :eek:

When I built a home back in '90, the blueprints were 5 pages plus electrical and plumbing and that was it. This regulation and CYA is unbelievable. I can easily see that between the energy efficiency requirements plus these regulations/CYA procedures, that it add at least 25K to the cost of the home.

/ New Home Begins
The township now requires a separate signed permit application for each subcontractor as there is a big lawsuit on another project in the town and they are roped in as the reviewing party. Apparently, some crucial step was missed or finger pointing between subs on who was responsible for what. Lawyers are involved who, of course, shotgun all deep pockets.

The township's answer is to have each sub on record and a statement of scope of work. If anything missed, it would fall to me as the GC/homeowner.

/ New Home Begins #63  
Unfortunately, it's not the architect who feels he wants/needs to review them. The township requires it in all cases!!! :shocked: I guess the township is doing CYA to insure that the materials installed trully meet what was specified.

In addition, the architect specified TJI brand truss joists and Microllam beams and the roof truss manufacturer uses Rosboro BigBeams and Nordic-Joist brand truss joists. Both are cheaper and STRONGER than the ones spec'd by the architect but now he has to review to insure the load characteristics meet what he spec'd. :eek:

When I built a home back in '90, the blueprints were 5 pages plus electrical and plumbing and that was it. This regulation and CYA is unbelievable. I can easily see that between the energy efficiency requirements plus these regulations/CYA procedures, that it add at least 25K to the cost of the home.

Then they should have a licensed professional engineer review them as architects draw pretty pictures but are not trained in structural design. If you want to know what color to paint the living room and which drapes will work...call an architect.

/ New Home Begins
Then they should have a licensed professional engineer review them as architects draw pretty pictures but are not trained in structural design. If you want to know what color to paint the living room and which drapes will work...call an architect.

Architect or interior designer? :D

Most architects around here are one stop shops. Either they are structural engineers or they work with someone that is. When they put their seal on the drawings, they are also certifying the structural aspects not just wall locations and mantle heights.

/ New Home Begins #65  
Architect or interior designer? :D

Most architects around here are one stop shops. Either they are structural engineers or they work with someone that is. When they put their seal on the drawings, they are also certifying the structural aspects not just wall locations and mantle heights.

None of them are structural engineers and 99% don't have an engineer on staff. They do readily use their stamp to generate income whether they are competent or not in what they are reviewing. Don't mean to denigrate architects but they have had a long history of holding out qualifications they do not actually have.

/ New Home Begins #66  
sdkubota said:
None of them are structural engineers and 99% don't have an engineer on staff. They do readily use their stamp to generate income whether they are competent or not in what they are reviewing. Don't mean to denigrate architects but they have had a long history of holding out qualifications they do not actually have.

I don't have a lot of experience with architects but the one I do know has a structural engineer in the office for when needed. The architect goes to him for when they need his input. They also have other specialized people there so that they can do whatever is required in house. Maybe it is an anomaly but I have to believe there are more the 1% like this.

/ New Home Begins #67  
I don't have a lot of experience with architects but the one I do know has a structural engineer in the office for when needed. The architect goes to him for when they need his input. They also have other specialized people there so that they can do whatever is required in house. Maybe it is an anomaly but I have to believe there are more the 1% like this.

Make sure it is the structural engineers stamp on the document.

/ New Home Begins
Make sure it is the structural engineers stamp on the document.

The architect's stamp is fine with me. If there is anything wrong, then it's HIS butt in the sling. If he puts down one thing and the structural engineer disagrees and then he seals the plan anyway, he is going to be the one sued for damages. He won't risk his license that way. If he is smart, the structural engineer will have provided HIM with sealed calculations to cover his butt.

/ New Home Begins #69  
Having come from CA and dealing with some of the issues with buidling a house where there are a lot of regulations, then moving to a state where there are very few to no regulations, I feel for you. I understand the benifit and reasoning for code, but when givin the choice, I sure do like living where there are no codes, regulation or rules. The basic thought here is build what you want, your responsible for it and what happens to it.

Post lots of pictures and keep your sense of humor. Building can be the most fun you'll ever have, or the most pain you'll even experience. It's up to you to decide what happens.

Eddie

/ New Home Begins
Eddie,

Thanks for the advice. My only angst is that the delays now put me square into Jersey winter which is very unpredictable. As much as we love snow, I am hoping for a warmer, snowless winter like last year to help keep things moving along.

I love seeing the progress with your projects and your parents home.