New Horse Barn - Old horses

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #1  

SteveH_CT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 4310
I wanted show my latest project - we brought in a small horse barn for our geriatrics - it's worked out great.

We installed it directly on a gravel base (8" to 10" deep) - built up the stalls with another layer of compacted stone dust, and then the rubber mats.

Unfortunately the youngest of our old mares had to be put to sleep on the 4th of July - She was 27. At least she was able to enjoy some time at our house before she passed away.

The 2nd pic (1819) is of "Bama" - she's 36 and healthy as a - you guesed it - horse.
Enjoy the Pics!

Attachments

• CIMG1813.JPG
    CIMG1813.JPG
    965 KB · Views: 569
  • CIMG1819.JPG
    CIMG1819.JPG
    977.1 KB · Views: 399
   / New Horse Barn - Old horses
One more - Here is JD with the PHD - a unit I got at Tractor Supply - it's a life saver. Our rocky earth has chewed up the replaceable cutting edges - but hey, that's why their replaceable.

Attachments

• CIMG1792.JPG
    CIMG1792.JPG
    829.5 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
   / New Horse Barn - Old horses #3  
Bama has a nice and sweet face.

Yeah Thanks - I think she's quite the babe, especially considering she's an antique. Here is one more of her - this is her "where's the snacks man" look.

We've just had some outstanding farrier work done on her, and both our vet and the farrier suggest easy riding for her. I actually go to a stable to ride one of their horses, and I never considered Bama rideable since she's 36.

Thanks again,

Attachments

• CIMG1825c.JPG
    CIMG1825c.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 263
   / New Horse Barn - Old horses #5  
We're in a similar situation. Her (our?) Quarter horse is 30 and I'm finishing up a 2 stall barn with loft and overhang. Board has gone from $300 - $500 over the past few years and we figured we'd get her home. We don't need the indoor arena anymore, she's getting to be old for riding. I'll finish up one stall this weekend and next weekend will be fencing, then the pressure is off. I'll work on the other stall as time allows.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #6  
Mornin Steve,
I can see you made real good use of that PHD for sure :)
Thanks for the pics!

Indeed - and a lot more to go...:)

shvl73 said:
We're in a similar situation. Her (our?) Quarter horse is 30 and I'm finishing up a 2 stall barn with loft and overhang. Board has gone from $300 - $500 over the past few years and we figured we'd get her home. We don't need the indoor arena anymore, she's getting to be old for riding. I'll finish up one stall this weekend and next weekend will be fencing, then the pressure is off. I'll work on the other stall as time allows.

Man when you say pressure I know exactly what you mean. I was pushing real hard for a week straight to get this together. My task was to get the barn done and the paddock fenced off so we could get the 3 over. We knew our Morgan didn't have long, and my wife wanted her to be able to pass away with us - sadly that is exactly how it worked out - she managed to spend a week with us, but just couldn't muster any more. And believe me, that week was purely a gift from the horse, she was all heart and really held in there. My wife had her for 24 of her 27 years, and has had a tough time saying good bye - but she was satisfied to at least be able to be there, and literrally hold her right to the end.

Congrats on the barn - and being able to have them at your house - it is a joy every morning to look out see the two we have left bobbing their heads around "suggesting" that I get out there and feed then.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #9  
SteveH_CT said:
Man when you say pressure I know exactly what you mean. I was pushing real hard for a week straight to get this together. My task was to get the barn done and the paddock fenced off so we could get the 3 over. We knew our Morgan didn't have long, and my wife wanted her to be able to pass away with us - sadly that is exactly how it worked out - she managed to spend a week with us, but just couldn't muster any more. And believe me, that week was purely a gift from the horse, she was all heart and really held in there. My wife had her for 24 of her 27 years, and has had a tough time saying good bye - but she was satisfied to at least be able to be there, and literrally hold her right to the end.

Congrats on the barn - and being able to have them at your house - it is a joy every morning to look out see the two we have left bobbing their heads around "suggesting" that I get out there and feed then.

It's sad about your Morgan but, it's almost like she held on to finally be home with the family. We'll be pretty excited to see our mare home. She's been having issues lately and we just want her here where we see her as much as possible.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #10  
Here is a picture of my summer project.

Attachments

• 100_0419 (640 x 480).jpg
    100_0419 (640 x 480).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 366