New Horse Barn - Old horses

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses
Wow that is a great looking barn. You're doing great, I went the easy way and just had a pre-built shedrow barn dropped on the gravel base. All I had to do was finish the stalls.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #12  
shvl73 said:
Here is a picture of my summer project.

That is a very good looking project! Post some more pics when you get time.:)

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #13  
It is with great sadness that I tell you it was all for naught.
We lost her tonight. Man what a tough night. I wasn't aware of the severity of the current problems she had. Tough decision but it had to be done. The vet was excellent and caring. That's all for now. I need to just sit and think. We need to take care of the burial tomorrow.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #14  
So sorry about your loss.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #15  
shvl73 said:
Here is a picture of my summer project.

shvl73,
Very nicely done !!!

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #16  
and I never considered Bama rideable since she's 36

It's pretty dependent on the horse I think. I bought & started riding an appy when he was 29. He went blind at ~35. We stopped riding him at 37 because he stumbled alot (who'd a thunking eh?), passed away at 40.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #17  
shvl73 said:
It is with great sadness that I tell you it was all for naught.
We lost her tonight. Man what a tough night. I wasn't aware of the severity of the current problems she had. Tough decision but it had to be done. The vet was excellent and caring. That's all for now. I need to just sit and think. We need to take care of the burial tomorrow.

Torin, as my gal and I were admiring the photo of your beautiful work in progress, we went on to read about your loss. Our heart goes out to you and your family.

/ New Horse Barn - Old horses #18  
SteveH_CT said:
I wanted show my latest project - we brought in a small horse barn for our geriatrics - it's worked out great.

We installed it directly on a gravel base (8" to 10" deep) - built up the stalls with another layer of compacted stone dust, and then the rubber mats.

Unfortunately the youngest of our old mares had to be put to sleep on the 4th of July - She was 27. At least she was able to enjoy some time at our house before she passed away.

Nice lil set up you have for 'Bama... a beautiful mare.
Sorry about your recent loss. I agree, it was nice that she got a chance to spend some time at your house.

Nice pic of the PHD also.

Well I'm broken hearted to hear that. I can all easily understand the feelings you have right now. My wife and I both sympathize. I'm sure in some way your mare appreciated your effort and the great direction your hearts took to try to build it for her.

dubba said:
It's pretty dependent on the horse I think. I bought & started riding an appy when he was 29. He went blind at ~35. We stopped riding him at 37 because he stumbled alot (who'd a thunking eh?), passed away at 40.

Wow - 40 is a great run. I was trotting and cantering her on a line last night - She looks so excited when I work her (work isn't a good word for it - I take it real easy on her). I think I'll give her time until her next farrier visit, and then I will try a saddle on her.

Thanks for telling me about the Appy - they are gorgeous horses.