New House Build in WA

/ New House Build in WA #11  
Could not agree more. I was blown away by silt fencing the uphill side of my property with a ton of plastic that will all go to the landfill. All in a county where it’s illegal to use a plastic bag. Government run astray in many circumstances.

A lot of the central mountains of Colorado where we live is National Forest land dotted with what used to be farms - which now has become divided into 5 acre building lots with lots of building regulations intertwined with trout streams and wildlife of all kinds. It sounds as though your area South of Seattle may be similar.

All the forest regulations and hoops to jump through sure do make what could be an easy home building job really difficult to do. No question or debate about that. But after getting through it all and living here for awhile, I came to realize that most of the regulations were simply an effort to what made people want to live here in the first place. And although I hated those requirements while building, after a few years I began to see the sense in it all.

Eventually the more stupid regs - like your poorly defined silt fencing and similar legislative screwups become standing jokes and targets for change. With any luck the good regs will remain while the others change. And it won't surprise me at all if ten years from now you end up being glad you made the effort to look out for the future. I know I am.

rScotty

/ New House Build in WA #12  
Since I've never done this before, I'm curious what the advantage is to stair stepping the foundation instead of digging it into the ground?

/ New House Build in WA #13  
Terrific progress and looks great at the same time. Good time of year to be where you are on the project. It should go smooth from here.

/ New House Build in WA #15  
Happy Easter!!!

I'm really enjoying your pictures and comments. It's just amazing to see what you are doing!!!

/ New House Build in WA #17  
Hired a footing guy to do all of my forms this week. This guy and his crew were super fast and it allowed me to go back to work and get off the job site.

Footing inspection was quick. Filled out the online form and the guy was there about 2 hours later and I received an automated email that we had passed about 30 min after he left.

concrete and pump truck are set up for Monday and the weather is looking good!
Great project description and great photos!
I am 80!
Your required inspections would drive me crazy!

/ New House Build in WA #18  
Hired a footing guy to do all of my forms this week. This guy and his crew were super fast and it allowed me to go back to work and get off the job site.
........zip...............

Wow I am glad we bought already built house back in 92 when we moved to our current location and am pretty impressed how will you have time to "go back to work" in the middle of this project!

Please keep posting as time permits, I find this very interesting.

Last edited:
   / New House Build in WA #19  
Do you have to pay for each inspection or are they all covered under the permit?

/ New House Build in WA #20  
For all of you out there wondering. Not every county in the state is the same. King County is probably the most regulated, mostly for good reason. Many other counties are simpler to work with. So what you are reading is not typical of the entire state. Except electrical which is state L&I everywhere, but the inspectors have a great deal of latitude. So in some places even electrical is more straightforward.