New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
Builders use black shingles because they are cheaper. I like light colors for roofs.

No doubt that is one reason we see so many black roofs, but in many cases it’s preference as well. If using shingles, we would be going with black as well. There just really isn’t any light colors that work well with the colors we will use for siding.

Unfortunately, there really is not any light colored metal that I like and definitely none that work with our other colors.

/ New House Build in WV #92  
Ice and water shield will be used in the valleys along with the normal metal transition piece. As long as it痴 properly done, I would think it would be fine.

When the snow slides down from both sides it creates a jam in the valley area. Just pay extra attention to ice and water shield in the valleys. Jon

/ New House Build in WV
When the snow slides down from both sides it creates a jam in the valley area. Just pay extra attention to ice and water shield in the valleys. Jon

Proper installation is key, and I will be paying close attention.

/ New House Build in WV
Not much to update. Progress was slow over the weekend due to unexpected material runs on Saturday and Sunday.

Got all posts up for the deck of the back porch and the ledgers against the house and on the posts. I have a total of 52 joists to put up and have about 12 left to finish this evening. Then I’ll start putting up the posts for the roof. I have worked well into dark every evening and keep forgetting to slow down and get pictures. I’ll try to get better at that.

Lowe’s has the trex decking we want in stock, and is the cheapest price so far, so I’ll try to get that picked up this weekend.

Windows and siding are on order. Siding will be here next week but windows are a few weeks out, unfortunately.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up, but looks like it’ll rain 3 of the 4 days. Not good for my porch production, but I’ll be able to work on other needed tasks inside while it’s raining.

/ New House Build in WV #95  
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to pictures.

Be sure to space your joists closer together for the Trex. I go 12 inches the few times I've done it. I've seen where it was done on 16 inch spans and you could see the sag where people walked after just a few years.

/ New House Build in WV
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to pictures.

Be sure to space your joists closer together for the Trex. I go 12 inches the few times I've done it. I've seen where it was done on 16 inch spans and you could see the sag where people walked after just a few years.

All 52 of my joists are installed, 16” on center. In all my research on composite decking, I never came across that issue, so I never considered making them closer. Taking them all down and changing them isn’t an option at this point, so I’m going to hope that doesn’t happen. If I see the issue start, it would be easy enough to add an extra joist in between at a later time.

/ New House Build in WV #97  
I also had some sag i mine after 3 or 4 years. I do have a lot of mine on 12", but that is run at a 45. It looks good.

/ New House Build in WV #98  
I would go 12” oc joists for trex also.

/ New House Build in WV
Still working on the back porch roof, but all rafters are cut and I’ve started putting them in place, should go faster from here.

Took two trips to a Lowe’s 2 hours away to get the decking my wife wanted, that ate up a bunch of the weekend, unfortunately.

Roof should go on later this week, that will be a major hurdle that I’m looking forward to achieving.

Once the porch roof is complete, that will be the last major piece to the framing. Once it gets dark, I turn lights on and work on tidying up framing g around doors and windows on the inside.

Still working until it’s too dark to get updated pictures but I will get pictures of the porch this week, and the roof once it gets started.

/ New House Build in WV
Metal roof was started today. They finished the garage and most of the front. I’m very happy with the look and how it’s turning out.

IMG_7545.jpg

They are waiting on me to finish the back porch, and will be back Tuesday to finish since it’s supposed to rain Monday. I finally made good progress today, getting most of the sheeting on the porch roof. Wasn’t fun getting it up there by myself, but I got it. Tractor helped but couldn’t reach all the way up. I angled the forks so I could grab the end of the board and pulled them up. I’ll finish tomorrow once the dew burns off. It’s going to be nice to get this part completed.

IMG_7548.jpg

Here’s a shot of the decking my wife picked out, I think it’s going to look great and can’t wait to see it all in place.

IMG_7540.jpg