New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV #71  
Hurricane is our closest Walmart and there’s several restraints as well, so we are there often.

I didn’t think to leave a ledge for the concrete porch, but I have put 1/4” 4x4 angle the length of the porch for the concrete. Hoping that does the job. It would be several thousand in gravel to fill the porch, so I’m using metal panels.

I filled with dirt, and let it settle a few months, then put in stone. No doubt it has settled some more under the slab.

/ New House Build in WV
A friend who is a contractor called, said his job was delayed due to waiting on windows, asked if I wanted his guys for a few days. I took him up on the offer.

They showed up and we went to work. Got the dormer mostly built and a bunch of sheeting up. They will be back at 7 am tomorrow. May have them all week. Hopefully we will get the front done tomorrow and the back by Thursday.

After struggling over the weekend, it was nice to have some hired help. It definitely came at the perfect time.

A couple progress pictures.

IMG_7495.jpgIMG_7496.jpgIMG_7497.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #73  
Hurricane is our closest Walmart and there’s several restraints as well, so we are there often.

I didn’t think to leave a ledge for the concrete porch, but I have put 1/4” 4x4 angle the length of the porch for the concrete. Hoping that does the job. It would be several thousand in gravel to fill the porch, so I’m using metal panels.

If you haven’t filled you can still lay some block vertical columns up from the footer to support the back of the porch slab.

/ New House Build in WV
Dormer and front sheeting is now done. Back side of the house is about half done. Should get most of the sheeting done tomorrow.

Going to spend the rest of the evening moving dirt and rock.

IMG_7507.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #76  
Your cheating using the tractor to do all your heavy lifting!!!! :)

/ New House Build in WV #77  

When my trusses were were about to be lifted by the crane, the builders flew up a bunk of osb for the roof deck. This was on a walk out basement with no access to the first floor deck other than lifting it all through the stair opening. Jon

/ New House Build in WV #78  
Looks great!
Hopefully the rain they keep talking about holds off a bit for you. Stay safe working on the roof/house.

/ New House Build in WV

Yeah, I know. I’m trying to do the whole work smarter not harder thing!

If I had about three more feet higher of reach, it would have been perfect.

Unfortunately, the back side is too high for the tractor. After some thinking, we decided to build brackets at the top and move a bunch of sheeting onto the brackets at the peak on each side. We made our marks at the bottom and then ran a 2x4 all the way across. We then tied a rope to a pair of vise grips. One guy stayed at the peak and clamped the vise grips in the middle of the ply wood, and lowered it down. Worked like a charm and we were moving on the back when it was quitting time. Should go quickly tomorrow.

/ New House Build in WV
Looks great!
Hopefully the rain they keep talking about holds off a bit for you. Stay safe working on the roof/house.

Forecast isn’t showing anything until a 50% on Monday. If that holds out, underlayment will definitely be down by then.