New House Build in WV

/ New House Build in WV
Today pretty much went as planned. I got the porch roof ready for metal. It sure is a good feeling knowing that the roof will be on in a few days.

IMG_7549.jpg

/ New House Build in WV #102  
Metal roof was started today. They finished the garage and most of the front. I’m very happy with the look and how it’s turning out.

View attachment 673489

They are waiting on me to finish the back porch, and will be back Tuesday to finish since it’s supposed to rain Monday. I finally made good progress today, getting most of the sheeting on the porch roof. Wasn’t fun getting it up there by myself, but I got it. Tractor helped but couldn’t reach all the way up. I angled the forks so I could grab the end of the board and pulled them up. I’ll finish tomorrow once the dew burns off. It’s going to be nice to get this part completed.

View attachment 673493

Here’s a shot of the decking my wife picked out, I think it’s going to look great and can’t wait to see it all in place.

View attachment 673494

Maybe if you're going to put a heavy BBQ or something on the porch, put a bit more support under it?

/ New House Build in WV
My plan is to build a gas BBQ, plumbed into my natural gas, out side the basement under the porch. Until that happens, just a regular gas grill that will also sit outside the basement.

Now that the porch roof is done, other than the decking, I’ll be making the front porch and garage concrete my priority while waiting on windows, doors and siding to get here.

/ New House Build in WV #104  
I couldn't tell from the picture but are there spaces between your decking boards? Leaving a gap helps with expansion and water drainage and debris.

/ New House Build in WV
I couldn't tell from the picture but are there spaces between your decking boards? Leaving a gap helps with expansion and water drainage and debris.

Deck boards aren’t install yet. We have a few laying up there just to see how they looked, but not fastened yet. I’m using the hidden clip fasteners that have the gap built in, so there will be gaps when complete. May get that started sometime this week.

/ New House Build in WV #106  
Are those composite deck planks? Material other than wood?

/ New House Build in WV #108  
Not familiar with your weather. They are very, very slick in freezing Winter.

Awesome in the South where that's not a problem.

They sure look nice and seem to stay looking nice.

/ New House Build in WV #109  

another huge benefit to the spacing between the boards is air flow. the area under a deck can hold a lot of moisture, and the only way to dry it out is air flow. Wind. I've been under decks that where closed off on the sides and the mold is overwhelming!!! In my opinion, you cannot have too much air flow under a deck.

/ New House Build in WV
Not familiar with your weather. They are very, very slick in freezing Winter.

Awesome in the South where that's not a problem.

They sure look nice and seem to stay looking nice.

It can can pretty cold here in the winter and we usually get several snows mostly ranging from a dusting to 6”, with the occasional 15”+. The last couple of winters have been pretty mild, I’m sure that will change this year since I’m trying to get this house built!

Hopefully the roof keeps most of the snow and ice off of the deck, but I’m sure some will blow in.