New house finally under way

/ New house finally under way
Re basement:

I have been asked about that before. I wanted a walkout basement but several factors killed that.
In no particular order.

1. Cost - It was going to cost probably $10k extra.
2. The septic field could not go where I wanted it because of granite. I would have had serious grading issues to make it walk out how things ended up.
3. There is no room for internal stairs in the floor plan and I didn't want exterior stairs for drainage issue.
4. Granite! The shallow side, near left in pics has a granite shelf, not sure of size or shape but it was I think the same granite the septic contractor found.
5. The wife had no interest in a basement so with these issues it wasn't worth the battle.
6. Floor beams are 2 @ 18" and 1 @ 24" so the middle will be particularly low. I forget the exact code right now but wood must be a certain distance from dirt which is part of why it ended up as deep as it is.

I considered adding a "rat-slab" but with the price of concrete right now that was an additional $4-$5k.

Since we will not get a loan all costs must be carefully weighed. We want the money to go into the major structure and finishes.

/ New house finally under way #12  
Makes sense. I was just curious, you're more than halfway there!

/ New house finally under way #13  
Congrats to you and your bride. :thumbsup:
Keep scrape book just about everything thru the years it will come in handy.

/ New house finally under way #14  
We're gonna start on ours this Summer so am tracking your progress!!!! Similar size, slab with footings, no steps. Anxious to see/hear your choices. There are many. :)

So I got the tool shed dried in finally. Now I can get all my tools together. Some are in the other shed, too many in my truck, some in the house and some in storage. I can never find anything when I need it then trip over it later. Hopefully I can get the service finished this week and get power up that end. Then I'll start on at least the mud sills this weekend. Then need to figure out how to set those beams.

/ New house finally under way #16  
Prichard, How far north (georgia)? I plan to do the same in a year or so in Dahlonega. I have discussed the walk out with the wife and she likes the idea. But our property in on the top of a hill so it will be a little easier.

Prichard, How far north (georgia)? I plan to do the same in a year or so in Dahlonega. I have discussed the walk out with the wife and she likes the idea. But our property in on the top of a hill so it will be a little easier.
We're in west Jackson county. Near mayfield dairy on 85.

You moving up here, or already here? My office is in Cumming and I used to live over there as well. So we were closer.

Told you it would be slow. But finally an update. A couple neighbors came over a few weeks ago and helped set the LVL floor beams. A friend came today and helped set half the floor trusses.

20180623_145118.jpeg20180623_145108.jpeg