New house finally under way

/ New house finally under way #31  
i'm asking this out of pure naivety but shouldn't there be a jack stud under those headers? or is the board you have under the headers doing the same thing?

Rust

/ New house finally under way #33  
If you look at the other windows and doors, you will see jack studs on them. When building and standing up the walls, it's not uncommon to not have all the windows framed out completely. Then later on, you go back and finish all the little stuff. My guess is that's what's going on in the picture.

/ New house finally under way
If you look at the other windows and doors, you will see jack studs on them. When building and standing up the walls, it's not uncommon to not have all the windows framed out completely. Then later on, you go back and finish all the little stuff. My guess is that's what's going on in the picture.
Exactly. Jack studs and cripples, sills, etc. Next week. I took the week off to finish framing and hopefully set trusses.

Making some progress. Spent the week framing more walls and sheathing.

Set trusses this morning. 20181018_120819.jpegView attachment 57532520181018_120830.jpeg

Last edited:
   / New house finally under way #36  
Interesting. Looks like a long porch with all those trusses hanging out like that.

Why didn't they use full sheets of zip siding at the corners where its the most important because they give you so much strength? I always start at the outside corners and figure out where I'll fit in the filler pieces based on doors or window.

Yes, porch for the full length, 8' deep.

They started doing it while I was gone. I don't really like it but not enough to tear it off. We are fortunately not in a high wind area nor seismic zone.

/ New house finally under way #38  
The older I get, the bigger fan I become of porches!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you do yours.

/ New house finally under way #39  
..... They started doing it while I was gone. I don't really like it but not enough to tear it off. We are fortunately not in a high wind area nor seismic zone.
Just curious, are all the Zip sheathing horizontal joints backed with blocking (maybe I just can't see the exposed edge at the top because of the angle)?

This to eventually get the full Zip-tape treatment at all joints / edges?

Planning on Zip-system for the roof, too?

Was Zip-system your spec from the start or more a subcontractor's recommendation?

Curious because Zip-system is on the to-be-considered list for a 1-story project of mine .... I still haven't decided vs 'traditional Tyvek' approach (and certainly won't argue your choice, just hoping to learn from you).

Your project is looking good! Kudos and congrats :thumbsup:

Just curious, are all the Zip sheathing horizontal joints backed with blocking (maybe I just can't see the exposed edge at the top because of the angle)?

This to eventually get the full Zip-tape treatment at all joints / edges?

Planning on Zip-system for the roof, too?

Was Zip-system your spec from the start or more a subcontractor's recommendation?

Curious because Zip-system is on the to-be-considered list for a 1-story project of mine .... I still haven't decided vs 'traditional Tyvek' approach (and certainly won't argue your choice, just hoping to learn from you).

Your project is looking good! Kudos and congrats
Yes, blocking at all horizontal joints. I could have ordered 12' boards to avoid that (10' walls plus covering 12 floor trusses) but that's special order and pricey.

I will tape all joints with zip tape but can't until after the 1st inspection so they can verify nail spacing.

Roof is standard OSB. I didn't think that was worth the added cost.

I specced the zip system after much reading about it vs house wrap.