New house finally under way

/ New house finally under way #41  
Yes, blocking at all horizontal joints. I could have ordered 12' boards to avoid that (10' walls plus covering 12 floor trusses) but that's special order and pricey.

I will tape all joints with zip tape but can't until after the 1st inspection so they can verify nail spacing.

Roof is standard OSB. I didn't think that was worth the added cost.

I specced the zip system after much reading about it vs house wrap.
Got ya, thanks.

Hey, enjoy the project and then especially retirement in your new home!

/ New house finally under way #42  
Curious because Zip-system is on the to-be-considered list for a 1-story project of mine .... I still haven't decided vs 'traditional Tyvek' approach (and certainly won't argue your choice, just hoping to learn from you).

Your project is looking good! Kudos and congrats :thumbsup:

I'm a huge fan of Zip System. Comparing Zip System OSB to regular OSB is like comparing cheep plywood to cabinet grade plywood. ZIP system is solid and more dense. It's also heavier. You really see the difference when you cut it. No voids, no strands peeling off and the cuts are super clean. While you don't technically need that extra strength, it is nice to know that you have it.

House wrap and OSB is cheaper then Zip System and the tape.

House wrap and OSB will leak are no matter how well you tape and seal it up. The difference is noticeable when comparing similar houses. You will get a better seal around your windows using Zip System. This is huge and probably a very good reason to go with Zip.

Zip System comes in different lengths. There is a massive increase in strength if you can attach your sheeting to your foundation sill plates or joists, and have it go non stop all the way to your rafters or trusses. On my house, I have 4x9 foot panels. For the peak of my gable end, I used a 4x12 foot panel!!!

Buy one roll of Zip Tape and you will never buy any other type of tape again. There is nothing else like it. I pay $25 a roll at McCoys and I've seen it for sale for $35 at other places. I've paid $35 for it when it was sold out at McCoys because nothing else comes close to it!!!

Your goal for your walls is to keep the air out. Air defeats fiberglass insulation. It doesn't matter how thick, or what your R rating is, if air from the outside gets to it, it's like not having any insulation there at all. The coating on Zip System will keep out water and air. The tape makes each seam water and air tight.

The final, and big reason that I use Zip System a lot of the time is that it can be left exposed to the elements for a year or more and be fine. I am doing a long term remodel to my house. I work on one wall at a time. With Zip System, I can seal it up at each corner as I go, and I can work on putting up the siding when I have time and cash to do so.

/ New house finally under way #43  
I'm a huge fan of Zip System. Comparing Zip System OSB to regular OSB is like comparing cheep plywood to cabinet grade plywood. .....
There are of course options other than "regular OSB" which when compared to the Zip system provide a more level comparison in terms of both total wall-system performance and cost.

Hey, Eddie, I appreciate your comments but I might respectfully disagree with some of your comparative statements ("House wrap and OSB will leak are [sic] no matter how well you tape and seal it up" IMHO demonstrably simply isn't true as a blanket statement, for example). That's not to say either 'Zip' or 'Tyvek' systems are inherently flawed or superior in any way, it's just to say that when properly installed (which is required of any building system), Tyvek is a very well-proven long-term and excellent performer in my region a few hundred miles south of you.

That based on actual in-situ whole-house testing of both air-infiltration and moisture migration, both immediately following construction and decades after. While we don't ignore or fault systems just because they are relatively new, the fact is that because of it's relative new-ness no one has similarly long-term demonstrated experience with the Zip system. And there can be no question that in the totality of a structure much of the Zip system's performance integrity depends on many many more linear feet of taped joints than a well-planned and executed Tyvek-wrap system, all other things being equal even when Zip sheathing is applied vertically from sill to top-plate with the intent of minimizing horizontal joints.

Myself retired after a career in civil engineering design and construction management, I've never bought into 'one-size-fits-all' solutions to any engineering challenge. In this case there's legitimate project-specific pros and cons to both systems which must all be considered in a holistic approach, IMHO.

Last edited:
   / New house finally under way #44  
Some day I really should change my signature on here to say something like, My comments reflect what I've learned over the years working on houses, tractors and what ever else I'm commenting on. I'm not educated, not the most knowledgeable, but believe in what I say and will always try to give the best advice that I'm aware of based on best practices and overall results.

Another poster likes to go into extreme details about insulation. I'm sure that he is very smart and knowledgeable in what he says, but none of it really applies to common building practices and how to get the most measurable results from proven methods and products.

I'm not against house wrap, but by it's very design, it's meant to allow air to go through it. So yes, it will always leak air. My comments also apply to what is commonly done in home building from what I've seen. I try to never go to absolutes because if you have enough money and don't care about spending it, there is always a better way. Kind of like being into riding mountain bikes on weekends twice a month and spending $600 on a seat that's two ounces lighter then the one that came with your bicycle, like a friend of mine did. It made him feel better about his bike, but he will never notice the difference while out riding his bike.

The other thing is that there are a lot of products that are pretty much impossible to install properly, or that workers will take the time to go through every step when building a house. House wrap is one of those products that could be a lot better if more time and effort where put into the install, but it's just not done very often. The huge advantage of Zip Siding over common OSB and house wrap is that it's pretty hard to do it wrong. If you don't put the tape on it, everyone will know it's done wrong. If you fail to tape a seam on house wrap, nobody really cares.

/ New house finally under way
Here's my buddy J perched on the porch overhang. He got a roofer friend out today to install all the roof sheathing for $500. Gladly pay that so I could stay on the ground.

A few more sheets of zip, a little more blocking and hurricane clips and I can get rough framing inspection. Have to get inspection before 11/10 or my permit expires. Once I get an inspection I get a 6 month extension on permit. 20181021_140247.jpeg

/ New house finally under way #46  
Some day I really should change my signature on here to say something like, My comments reflect what I've learned over the years working on houses, tractors and what ever else I'm commenting on. I'm not educated, not the most knowledgeable, but believe in what I say and will always try to give the best advice that I'm aware of based on best practices and overall results.

Another poster likes to go into extreme details about insulation. I'm sure that he is very smart and knowledgeable in what he says, but none of it really applies to common building practices and how to get the most measurable results from proven methods and products.

I'm not against house wrap, but by it's very design, it's meant to allow air to go through it. So yes, it will always leak air. My comments also apply to what is commonly done in home building from what I've seen. I try to never go to absolutes because if you have enough money and don't care about spending it, there is always a better way. Kind of like being into riding mountain bikes on weekends twice a month and spending $600 on a seat that's two ounces lighter then the one that came with your bicycle, like a friend of mine did. It made him feel better about his bike, but he will never notice the difference while out riding his bike.

The other thing is that there are a lot of products that are pretty much impossible to install properly, or that workers will take the time to go through every step when building a house. House wrap is one of those products that could be a lot better if more time and effort where put into the install, but it's just not done very often. The huge advantage of Zip Siding over common OSB and house wrap is that it's pretty hard to do it wrong. If you don't put the tape on it, everyone will know it's done wrong. If you fail to tape a seam on house wrap, nobody really cares.

I've disagreed with you before but I will say I really appreciate the time you take to post your personal experience. As far as construction goes you have more experience than most on here and I always read your posts hoping to learn something. Educated or not you have some serious skills!

... I will say I really appreciate the time you take to post your personal experience. As far as construction goes you have more experience than most on here and I always read your posts hoping to learn something. Educated or not you have some serious skills!
I'll second that. Regardless of different opinions I really appreciate both of you sharing your experience. I have very limited experience, I'm building based on research and input from friends in the trades. I was an electrician by trade years ago and paid as much attention as I could to how other trades did their work.

So, all framed and sheathed. Called for inspection tomorrow.

Well driller finally worked me in. The went 88' to bedrock and started casing yesterday. They're now working on casing and sealing, then start drilling rock.
1541694636897_20181106_171338.jpeg

/ New house finally under way #50  
Anxious about the well. Hope that goes well (pun intended).

I'd be a nervous wreck to be that far along and not have water. We don't any aquifer to hit here. Just try to hit a vein that adequately produces.