New kubota tractor advice

/ New kubota tractor advice #71  
The TLB backhoe come off so I can use other implements or is it permanently attached? Digging stumps and rocks with success was that with the MX backhoe?
Mine was an L4610, close to being the same tractor as the original MX4700/MX5000's from early 2000's. Had a 9 ft detachable subframe BH that weighed 2k lbs and spec'd comparable to an L47 BH. Tractor + FEL + BH were about 7,500 lb. I think the BH for today's MX's would be similar, plus more modern features.

/ New kubota tractor advice #72  
I don't believe has mentioned renting a compact excavator to do the hard work. To minimize the rental time, I would drop the trees first, limb them and cut the trunks into 10 foot lengths. Then walk the excavator through the area to be cleared, windrowing the brush to one side as you go. A small excavator with a thumb will make short work of the stumps you have in your photograph as well as the rocks. Raking the soil with the teeth on the bucket will get many of the roots and rocks. You can cut a swath, limited only by the reach of the excavator arm, with each pass. You can shake the dirt off the stumps before windrowing. That makes it easier to burn if you are allowed to. Just a method that I have used that goes surprisingly fast.

/ New kubota tractor advice #73  
For the stumps, have you considered a stump grinder instead of yanking the stump from the ground?

/ New kubota tractor advice #74  
I think you need to go to industrial line of tractors until at least you rid of those issues. Maybe all the time.

/ New kubota tractor advice
I'm now looking at bobcat CT4045 with Ag tires. 3,745 pounds which would be more once I add fluid to tires and a box blade. 44.9HP. You guys think this would be reasonable for my property? These things wouldn't be one time, I will also come up with new ideas to do.
I really like that frostbite grapple. I could concentrate on just 2 tines going into ground then a bunch more that wouldn't be needed. Issues I could see is if the rock was too small to fit between both while popping it out. If I used one side could I warp my loader arms or warp the frost bite grapple, taking into consideration I take my time and not ramming it? Assuming it's still great for moving brush piles.

/ New kubota tractor advice #76  
Most everything you're describing is due to weight and traction issues and I think some unrealistic expectations of what a tractor can do. A slightly bigger tractor won't necessarily solve those problems by itself. I have owned B and L models, and if anything the L is lighter in the rear (proportionally) than the B was. The L needs more work/prep/care to keep the rear on the ground. I am more conscious about ballast on the L than the B. An advantage of the L is ground clearance.

Ground engaging work needs to be happing from the rear of the tractor, in a pulling motion. Front end loader is not appropriate for ripping out rocks and stumps, though some people will abuse their tractor to attempt that work. Some of those chores are for backhoes, and some need dedicated backhoes.

/ New kubota tractor advice
I don't plan on ripping out stumps. Only the rocks. I'd use the bigger tractor and logging chain to hopefully pull some small trees to remove their root ball.

/ New kubota tractor advice #78  
I really like that frostbite grapple. I could concentrate on just 2 tines going into ground then a bunch more that wouldn't be needed. Issues I could see is if the rock was too small to fit between both while popping it out. If I used one side could I warp my loader arms or warp the frost bite grapple, taking into consideration I take my time and not ramming it? Assuming it's still great for moving brush piles.

The frostbite style grapples have an easily removed plate that spans the two lower tines (see picture). That allows you to pinch, and pick up rocks the size of softballs (depending on operator skill ). In the picture, the top clamshell is contacting the lower plate in it's current orientation. A camera mounted to the grapple makes it much easier to see what you are doing.

Or it can be removed to make the tines dig in easier. I leave my plate on pretty much all of the time as I've had no problem getting under rocks and popping them out with it on, and it makes it easy to get the smaller ones out.

I have a similar sized tractor (LS XR4145) with a loader with max lift capacity of 2,700 lbs at full height. With the grapple I've never been worried about twisting the loader. The tines are spaced close enough it's almost a non-issue (I imagine if you tried to pick up a massive rock so it's cantilevered out on one end, you could run into problems).

IMG_20210313_143308.jpg

/ New kubota tractor advice #79  
What was the price on your tractor? I think bobcat is offering free loaders. This tractor would be roughly the weight of an MX I believe but a less hp.

I paid 14,000 for it brand new on close out when they quit making them the first time around. I feel that was a steal of a price.

/ New kubota tractor advice #80  
I'm now looking at bobcat CT4045 with Ag tires. 3,745 pounds which would be more once I add fluid to tires and a box blade. 44.9HP. You guys think this would be reasonable for my property? These things wouldn't be one time, I will also come up with new ideas to do.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Could always add a backhoe later if the grapple doesn’t work out.