New log splitter

/ New log splitter
I bought a 22 ton powerhorse from Northern Tool Tuesday. Assembled it and added fluids. It rained all day Wednesday (yesterday). Today I set it next to the wood pile and drying rack. Took a couple hours. I ran it at about half speed. A little slow but this is the first time I have used one. I am very happy with it. Now I know why everyone uses one.

I like that half-beam style. Definitely easier to muscle around than full beam models. I think that style will eventually displace full beam models in the market.

/ New log splitter #52  
There is a valid reason they call that big headed manual tool a spitting maul. Generally speaking, with my pine - I would just "MAUL" the wood. First year - that's all I had. Then I got the hydraulic splitter.

Only thing good that came out of the first year. By spring time we had cleaned up all the dead limbs, twigs, etc on the entire 80 acres and burned it in the wood stove.

/ New log splitter #53  
There is a valid reason they call that big headed manual tool a spitting maul. Generally speaking, with my pine - I would just "MAUL" the wood. First year - that's all I had. Then I got the hydraulic splitter.
I never could split worth beans using a maul. If I didn't manage to split the piece first time (usually not) it would often get stuck or bounce off or otherwise not get the job done. Before I got a splitter I'd use wedges and a sledge.
I bought a 22 ton powerhorse from Northern Tool Tuesday. Assembled it and added fluids. It rained all day Wednesday (yesterday). Today I set it next to the wood pile and drying rack. Took a couple hours. I ran it at about half speed. A little slow but this is the first time I have used one. I am very happy with it. Now I know why everyone uses one.
Maybe it's just the camera angle, but it looks quite small. What length piece will it take?

/ New log splitter #54  
Manual says 22.5 inch in length and 14 inch diameter. The load that I processed was 16 inch length and up to 20 inch diameter

/ New log splitter #55  
Bought a 25 ton two years ago. Old growth Hemlock sitting the wrong direction just for the picture.
20190304_114438[1].jpg