New log splitter

/ New log splitter #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
We ran out of firewood this winter, and spent a pretty penny on propane. Vowing to not have a repeat next winter, I decided to upgrade my firewood processing. Outgoing setup was a Homelite 5 ton electric, which we mostly used on household current, and had recently been running via a 4000 watt generator, both pieces of equipment on a 4x8 trailer. That worked well, but there are obvious limits. We have 16 to 20" rounds (oak and poplar) we just couldn't split.

This afternoon, bought the TSC County Line 25 ton splitter, along with the optional 4 way wedge and the log cradle. Would have preferred one in the crate, but our TSC always assembles them, so they can be displayed out in the rain. Towed it 12 miles to home, making sure to stay under 45 mph. I'm sure some of the folks commuting home at rush hour weren't thrilled following me. :)

Parked it next to the wood pile. Checked the fluid levels. Sure enough, the first start was tough because of rainwater in the system. Subsequent starts were one pull. Let it warm up and got to splitting. It's an excellent machine. Did a ton of research, and specifically picked this one because of the fast cycle time, and the ready availability / ease of use of the 4 way wedge. Powered through the most difficult logs we threw at it. In less than an hour from first start, the wife and I had about 3/4 of a cord split and stacked, and that was without yet even trying to optimize our motions.

Machine was well assembled. No leaks, no loose nuts, and fluids at correct levels. Kudos to TSC (and YTL, who builds these).

Speaking of YTL: TrueValue carries similar models at lower prices. I could driven 30 miles to the closest TrueValue and gotten a 30 ton YTL-built machine, almost identical to the County Line (same frame, beam, valve, etc.), for a couple of hundred dollars less. Seems like a no-brainer, right? Studying the specs, the 30 ton had a lesser pump, a lower quality motor, and a 25% higher cycle time. The County Line has good reviews on an epic scale, a great warranty, and I like the people at the local TSC, so that's why I choose that machine.

/ New log splitter #2  
Just looked at one at our local TSC a few weeks ago. Don't really have the NEED for one currently but it was there, Manager was trying to make me a deal! :)
I probably should have bought it .

/ New log splitter #3  
I can't imagine trying to split oak with an electric splitter. I had a 30 ton Didier when we "made" firewood. It had a single vertical wedge. Many was the time when my old gnarly pine would bring the splitter to an almost dead stop. It was the old ancient Ponderosa pine with the entrapped limbs and the forks in the trunk that made the splitting difficult. After the first year I quit splitting the 30" and bigger pines. Just too much work. I concentrated on the 16" to 20" stuff. A whole lot easier to man handle the smaller rounds.

That was all 40 years ago. I wouldn't want to do that now a days. Thank goodness for electric heat.

/ New log splitter #4  
When I bought my log splitter from TSC years ago there wasn't enough hydraulic fluid in it to extend the cylinder. Had to go back and buy enough to fill the tank. Best thing I did, was to have a custom cover made.

Doug in SW IA

/ New log splitter #6  
My main concern was the engine when we bought a 30 t splitter, opted for the honda upgrade knowing it will always start.

/ New log splitter #7  
My main concern was the engine when we bought a 30 t splitter, opted for the honda upgrade knowing it will always start.
Isn't that the truth. Honda engines are the easiest starting, most durable little engines made. My splitter has a Vtwin electric start Honda engine. Always starts right up. I never drain the fuel.

/ New log splitter
Big fan of Honda engines. They make great stuff.

/ New log splitter #9  
Isn't that the truth. Honda engines are the easiest starting, most durable little engines made. My splitter has a Vtwin electric start Honda engine. Always starts right up. I never drain the fuel.

Meh. Of all the power equipment I have with small engines, the one with the Honda is the hardest starting one of the bunch.

I can't imagine trying to split oak with an electric splitter. I had a 30 ton Didier when we "made" firewood. It had a single vertical wedge. Many was the time when my old gnarly pine would bring the splitter to an almost dead stop. It was the old ancient Ponderosa pine with the entrapped limbs and the forks in the trunk that made the splitting difficult. After the first year I quit splitting the 30" and bigger pines. Just too much work. I concentrated on the 16" to 20" stuff. A whole lot easier to man handle the smaller rounds.

That was all 40 years ago. I wouldn't want to do that now a days. Thank goodness for electric heat.
I've heated with wood for going on 45 years now, didn't get a splitter until ~10 years ago, picked up a 25 ton (not sure what brand) on CL and now wonder what took me so long. Just the vertical wedge, but it sure makes quick work of it. As you noted, it'll bog down a bit on some really knotty pieces but there's almost nothing it won't split.