Oil & Fuel New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #1  

mattyc200

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
Hi, first post. Bought my bx23s last summer with 21 hours for what I considered a killer deal. Less than 17K. I now have 54 hours on it (5 months). I went to start it this AM, it started fine, then as it warmed up, the idle went bad and it started smoking a bit (temp fine- no gauge issues). I turned it off, turned it to glow plug warm up, turned key, ran for a few seconds, then started running like crap. Same experience a few times now. I just called the service dept at local Ahrens. I am 20 miles west of Boston. It has been in low teens. Could it be fuel filter? It has been a dream to own until this AM. I have not tried to start it in a few weeks. Tips? I dont have it in a heated space- that is next summers goal.

-Matt

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #2  
Hi, first post. Bought my bx23s last summer with 21 hours for what I considered a killer deal. Less than 17K. I now have 54 hours on it (5 months). I went to start it this AM, it started fine, then as it warmed up, the idle went bad and it started smoking a bit (temp fine- no gauge issues). I turned it off, turned it to glow plug warm up, turned key, ran for a few seconds, then started running like crap. Same experience a few times now. I just called the service dept at local Ahrens. I am 20 miles west of Boston. It has been in low teens. Could it be fuel filter? It has been a dream to own until this AM. I have not tried to start it in a few weeks. Tips? I dont have it in a heated space- that is next summers goal.

-Matt

Did you let it idle for a bit to see if it just needed to warm up?

We've had some pretty cold nights...is your fuel treated in any way for cold temps?

I'd be contacting Kubota dealers, not any random guys. Theres a MB tractor up in Plaistow thats not too far from you...maybe give them a ring and see what they say.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #3  
Matty- Welcome to TBN. It reads like you have water in your fuel; especially if your fuel is old and #2. It could also be gelled up and clogging the fuel filter. There are additives that can be added to your fuel to raise cetane, lower gel point, and/or remove water. Howes and PowerService are common brands. There are others as well.

I would also suggest that you purchase and use a fuel/water separating funnel when you add fuel to your tractor. They really work. Mr. Funnel is one such filtering funnel.

I hope this helps. There are many threads about fuel and fuel treatment in the archives here.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago
Thank you. I called MB Tractor. Service department (really helpful and friendly) said it sounds like Gelling. Advised "911" treatment in red bottle now, and white for future winter fuel. JBrumberg, thanks for advice on Funnel. I am going to try the 911 treatment.... then see where that leads me.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #5  
Matty- Use the 911 only as needed. I do not believe that PowerService recommends continuous use. I do use the White Bottle year round with a double dose in the Winter. There are other products that can be used to reduce water build up, raise cetane, stabilize diesel fuel, increase lubricity, and prevent the buildup of algae and other crud that builds up over time. I would also get my fuel at a high volume station (where the school buses and other operators dependent upon quality fuel year round).

Good luck

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #6  
I use both the grey and white bottle stuff in mine. The algaeicide contains alcohol to kill the algae, and it also acts as a mild fuel deicer.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago
Thank you everyone. I put the recommended amount (less than actually) of 911. I then added the White stuff, less than recommend amount. It started up perfectly and is running well. I love the tractor... been a lot of fun. Bought a cheap pair of Titan forks (the lightest brand i could find) which has made my silly projects fly. Very happy with the tractor, wish it could lift about 400 lbs more.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #9  
Matty-

I am happy to read that the 911 and PS(White) got your tractor running again.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #10  
Thank you everyone. I put the recommended amount (less than actually) of 911. I then added the White stuff, less than recommend amount. It started up perfectly and is running well. I love the tractor... been a lot of fun. Bought a cheap pair of Titan forks (the lightest brand i could find) which has made my silly projects fly. Very happy with the tractor, wish it could lift about 400 lbs more.

"wish it could lift about 400 lbs. more"

Me thinks you VIOLATED tractor buying rule #1

"BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR"