Oil & Fuel New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #21  
Matty - its a great morning all the way around. Welcome to TBN and this forum. So glad to hear the the advice of jbrumberg and all the others solved your tiny but spiny problem. I swear - there MUST be two types of diesel fuel sold across this country. That without any water, algae & crap and that which come preloaded with with all that nasty stuff.

This will be my 37+ years out here - I store my fuel in WWll GI Jerry cans - have always used Power Service white bottle, year round & have NEVER had the slightest problem - of ANY kind - with my fuel. I've read numerous posts where folks religiously do everything the right way and still have fuel problems.

I DO have advantages here - our relative humidity will make a popcorn fart look like a bowl of waterlogged grape nuts. No matter how long I take my tractor out and use it - I ALWAYS fill the tank to the brim when I get home. My Jerry cans of fuel are stored in an enclosed portion of my five bay carport and NEVER get any frost - inside or outside. My tractor is stored in a large bay of the carport and never get frost on it anywhere - most importantly - the fuel tank.

I bought one of those MR FUEL funnels but quit using it - never got any water, algae or crud in or on the purple filter inside the funnel.

Earlier this year - after nine year with my Kubota M6040( purchased new in 2009) - I finally pulled the fuel filter and replaced with a new one. When visual inspection showed nothing I could see - put the filter in a clean gallon can with about a quart of gasoline. Lid on tight - shook violently for about three minutes. There was nothing in the gas - no water droplets, no crud, no algae. I wasted $19 on that new Kubota fuel filter.

So far the coldest - this stupid old geezer has chosen to go out and start his tractor - minus 20F. It started right up - just like a tractor that had been out in that cold weather. I do keep a battery maintainer on the battery, all winter, but nothing else except the glow plug. Hot, dry fuel and it fires right up. However - it will be a frigid day in Hades before I pull that stupid stunt again - my Kubota is open station. My Eddie Bauer hooded goose down jacket, pants & gloves plus a pair of Canadian insulated pacs keep me warm - but Lordy - I feel/look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Last edited:
   / New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago
Oh snap, happening again. I used the tractor for 1 hour yesterday. Worked great. Started it this AM, ran well for 5 minutes, then started having same symptoms. I put slightly under recommended amount of 911 and white bottle. I am thinking I should drain the fuel 100%, buy new fuel treat it with white, then try again.

Next step will be finding a block heater (will search threads)

A huge delayed thanks to everyone here... before buying, i read this forum for over a year. Read the fights, comments, arguments, and positive feedback. All of it helped me in buying.

Edit- fuel is 1-2 months old- Oct or early November. Filled to brim.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #23  
With the Power Serve (White Bottle not Silver) added your fuel should be OK,
I would change the fuel filter.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #24  
Oh snap, happening again. I used the tractor for 1 hour yesterday. Worked great. Started it this AM, ran well for 5 minutes, then started having same symptoms. I put slightly under recommended amount of 911 and white bottle. I am thinking I should drain the fuel 100%, buy new fuel treat it with white, then try again.

Next step will be finding a block heater (will search threads)

A huge delayed thanks to everyone here... before buying, i read this forum for over a year. Read the fights, comments, arguments, and positive feedback. All of it helped me in buying.

Edit- fuel is 1-2 months old- Oct or early November. Filled to brim.

this thread sounds similar maybe some help?

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...9764-kubota-bx25-sputtering-under-load-3.html

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #25  
The dealer, from Plaistow, just opened a dealership in Massachusetts, check it out. They are an excellent company and will get to the bottom of your troubles.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #26  
Matty, it will work out. Fill the tank with clean diesel, change the fuel filter, and add the 911 or whatever was recommended, at the recommended mix quantity. Just let it run for a while.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #27  
Change fuel filter

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago
I am back up and running. Added a tiny bit more 911. Ran it for 2 hours. I am going to ski my face off my head this weekend in VT. I will buy some D fuel up there at truck stop (at least -10), bring it home, drain the rest of the fuel and replace with new fuel. I have a pump and extra jerry can. Will fill everyone in on results.

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #29  
"wish it could lift about 400 lbs. more"

Me thinks you VIOLATED tractor buying rule #1

"BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR"
*tractorS

I'm on a mailing list for motorcycles at work and there's a common refrain about the "motorcycle N+1" problem - you have N motorcycles, and you always want another (thus N+1).

I suspect this holds for tractors, too... I was tempted by a B-range tractor for my first but got a bigger, much heavier 37hp one... because I figured that a BX-type tractor would fit right in, while the BX&B are too close together :) and if course after i get a BX it should be time to get a big MX or M62 to help with the next homestead...

/ New, loved Bx23S until 10 minutes ago #30  
I agree with others probably time to change the back fuel filter.