New MF GC1723E owner. What next?

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #1  

thbarrons

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E
Hi All. I just purchased a GC1723E with front mounted snow blower SBX1270. I live in Northern MI, don't really have snow yet this year but that's the anticipated use. I am totally new to owning a tractor but I'm excited to have this tool and want to be informed and willing to take advice. I've read the manual front to back and when I take delivery this week I will be instructed on the basics of doing what I need to operate it in a general sense and to handle the snow blowing.

This forum has been a great resource during the purchase phase. So now my question is kind of an open ended what next?
Is there any "gotta have" implement I should be looking at?
Is there any mod or addition to the tractor to mechanically make it better etc?
Any tool I should always have on board just in case?
Any online resources other than this forum I should know about to keep me informed?

In general what would any of you experienced Massey Ferguson owners tell a newbie like me? Anything goes. Thanks in advance.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #2  
I would get a extra set of filters.....Maybe a shop manual.... Good luck with the new tractor..(y)

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #3  
Welcome to TBN, and congrats on the new machine.
I would recommend getting together some warm clothing and gear. Snowblowing on an open station tractor is a whole new level of cold. I used a heated motorcycle suit, goggles, and a firefighting helmet... Looked goofy, but it was warm!
Enjoy your tractor!

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next?
I would recommend getting together some warm clothing and gear. Snowblowing on an open station tractor is a whole new level of cold. I used a heated motorcycle suit, goggles, and a firefighting helmet... Looked goofy, but it was warm!
Check on that. I'm an ice fisherman also. Not afraid to sit on a bucket on the open ice on a windy day just to jig up a couple blue gill. Clothed appropriately of course. I have everything I need. Except the firefighting helmet. :)

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #5  
Is there any mod or addition to the tractor to mechanically make it better etc?
Any tool I should always have on board just in case?
Just some suggestions...
I would recommend getting the skid plate, left step and grab handle from RetailREMS Massey Ferguson GC Accessories
In your other post you said you have some hills on your driveway, I would recommend getting a good set of chains for the rear 26-12-12 Tire Chains. The diamond pattern chains give a smoother ride. Get the studded ones if you'll be dealing with a lot of ice.
If you're going to put on chains you should think about adding as set of wheel spacers because there isn't a lot of clearance for the chains without them Bro-Tek
And for carrying tools a nice tool box ROPS Mounted Tool Box
You can find discussions about all of these things on the forums

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #6  
   / New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #7  
keep spare fuel filters on hand. simple fix that may save you.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #8  
Make sure you have spare shear pins for that blower on hand, you don't want to be out of business over a part that is likely less than $1

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #9  
Ditto what hube said -- I have what was a box that sneakers came in; in that I have shear pins for both the auger and the impeller, a 7/16" ratchet/socket & box end wrench, and this is important -- a small hammer and a tapered drift punch. It fits right behind the seat on my 2310.

Many times a broken shear pin will fall out, but occasionally a piece will get stuck inside the shaft. The hammer & drift punch will get it out, and the punch can be used to locate the hole if (when) the shaft has rotated.

Also, note that the torque on those shear pins is pretty minimal -- I just tighten until the lock washer gets mostly flat -- and then stop. If you tighten them too much, they'll actually break more easily/faster.

/ New MF GC1723E owner. What next? #10  
Don't by the shear pins from the dealer, you can probably get 50 of them from your local hardware store for what the dealer will charge you for 1