New Pick em up Trucks

/ New Pick em up Trucks #22  
Sorry but I don't buy it. There is no way you could put 6,000lbs on a 1970's 3/4 ton truck and actually drive it. I have had 5,000lbs in the back of my 94 F-350 dump truck and the rear springs were pretty flat. A 3/4 ton truck would snap in half with that kind of weight.
I was hauling gravel from a gravel pit at the time and got the truck weighed before and after loading .
It weighed about 6000 pounds more after loading than it did before.
This was not a stock 3/4 ton but a beefed up heavy duty camper special.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #24  
I still have my 1999 F250 gasser and the rear springs on the newer trucks are just too soft when pulling trailers. My 1999 F250 at that time had the same rear end axle and springs as a F350 except the F350's had a 2" riser block on the axle. My old F250 just stayed level despite the loads on the bumper. I have the camper package on the new truck with the extra springs, but it still sags too much. The newer F250 does ride smoother which is the trade off. I did drive a few of the newer F350s and the ride still seemed very good and not a significant difference from a new F250.

I have a 1999 F-250 SD and do I understand you correctly that the only difference between the F-250 & F-350 SRW's for 1999 are a couple of riser blocks on the rear end and some badges? I seem to recall seeing something from Ford that confirms your statement about the 1999 F-250's & F-350's have the same rear axle & springs.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #26  
I know that he left out GM in his original post. If you are steering him towards Diesels then he might want to look at GM. As far as anything I have read on duramax is the only major problem they had was in the 2004 and earlier with cracked injectors and those are made by bosche who makes injectors for all three american brands I believe. They redesigned the heads and went with different injectors in late model 2004 and above. I have not heard any serious problems since. As far as transmissions go I dont think anyone makes anything as good as the allyson transmisson let alone better. Every article I have read by companies that beef them up, all the reports I have read that behind a stock engine they are almost entirely bullet proof. I am sure someone will tell a problem they have had with one but they are either running behind a engine with more HP and torque than stock or are just a very rare example. If I was looking I would try to find a low mileage 2006 or a 2007 classic and stay away from the 2008 unless you just want the new body style. The engine is the same from 2006 and so is the transmission. In 2008 they went to the exhaust emission add ons and I am happy I dont have to deal with those in the 2006

/ New Pick em up Trucks #27  
I would like opinions of what is good out there in the market place now.
I like Toyota, Nissan and Ford. Ford's employee pricing is looking pretty good right now.
I am leaning towards a 2008 F250 XLT super duty with the trailer towing package.
I have not heard much about Titan. The Tundra is nice expensive. Super duty should be pretty tough.
I am open to suggestions. Hoping to buy yet this year.

TIA

Yooper Dave

Yooper Dave.
You're thinking of buying a new truck and you're considering the Ford 250 XLT. Great choice, but before you spend your hard earned money, be sure what you will be doing with the truck. Know beforehand what loads you will be pulling and/or hauling. Will you be towing a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer? A heavy bumper pull trailer? How many miles will you be driving it, daily and those long trips. If you've decided on a HD Ford (great choice) consider very carefully which engine would be best. I guarantee with diesel fuel at over 50% more than gasoline today and with the new diesels burning considerably more fuel than the old ones. the V10 gas engine would be on my short list. There is NO economic payoff anymore for buying a diesel, it's best only when the work intended exceeds that of the gas engine alternatives. You could do different from a ford HD, but I can't imagine you could do better for all around transportation and occasional hard work and light duty trips. Before you buy. know the weights you will be pulling and hauling, the GAWR, GCWR, and GVWR ratings of the truck you're loooking at and compare them with your intentions before you buy it.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #28  
That was just cruel

Yeah, I guess so. But everyone has already put in the serious content only leaving the comedic!

But seriously, I would take Crash101's advice further and determine if you REALLY REALLY need the HD truck at all. The new F150, Dodge and (even better) GM have all improved in every way from HP to capacity and all have better MPG's than they did in 2001. The weight penalty in the HD line of trucks is with you every day, but the extra capacity may NEVER EVER get used.

jb

/ New Pick em up Trucks #29  
I was hauling gravel from a gravel pit at the time and got the truck weighed before and after loading .
It weighed about 6000 pounds more after loading than it did before.
This was not a stock 3/4 ton but a beefed up heavy duty camper special.

I have also hauled around 50 loads of gravel from a pit that weighs you on the way in and then on the way out. 4 or more times out of the 50 loads the reading was incorrect going in so my 7500lb truck was weighing in at like 4500lbs, then when I leave and the truck is at 11,000 or 12,000lbs they try to charge me for 4 tons of material. I show them the other 20 or so slips in my glove box that show the truck weighs 7500lbs give or take 100lbs depending on gas level and they correct it. These scales are made for large tractor-trailers weighing in excessive of 20 tons and if they are off by 2000lbs it is not enough difference (<10%) to warrant a recalibration. But when a little 1-ton truck comes in and it is off by 2000lbs it is a 30% difference.

I would be willing to bet that is what happened in your case. A stock 3/4 ton truck will not carry 6,000lbs even if it is a "camper special" which just meant one more helper spring.

/ New Pick em up Trucks #30  
Yeah, I guess so. But everyone has already put in the serious content only leaving the comedic!

But seriously, I would take Crash101's advice further and determine if you REALLY REALLY need the HD truck at all. The new F150, Dodge and (even better) GM have all improved in every way from HP to capacity and all have better MPG's than they did in 2001. The weight penalty in the HD line of trucks is with you every day, but the extra capacity may NEVER EVER get used.

jb
I agree with you 100 per cent. I look at the new 1/2 gmc and for most of the time they would more than do what i need. The main reason I bought a diesel was because I am old and always wanted one :) I could easily get by with a 1/2 ton gas for 95 per cent of my useage