New problem with broom - lost hydraulics

/ New problem with broom - lost hydraulics #31  
Can you put the pillow block bearing on the opposite side of the mounting bracket? Can’t tell from pictures if shaft is different size or not.

/ New problem with broom - lost hydraulics
The shaft has a universal joint on the other end, then a solid 3/4" x 7/8" shaft that was welded to an adapter and then to the adapter a friend turned for me, and finally to the splined adapter. It was all made to sit at that spot, so the section that fits the bearing does not extend back any farther before it goes to rectangle. I could rebuild/rework the entire shaft farther back to flip the bearing but that seems like waay more effort than is worth it. I need to mill off ~1/2" total combined from both sides of the the coupler. I can take .1 off the face of the splined one and .4 off the keyed shaft one without running too close to the set screws, so that looks like the plan. I am still wondering if I am going to be able to piece it together in the space allotted. That will be the biggest challenge, but I think I can remove shaft sections to get there.

Finally an update to show. I have a friend who is a machinist that was on vacation and he knows this stuff much better than me, so i waited until he got back and we took a look at it then. Plus just busy with other stuff. Well the conclusion was to cut off the old thing entirely, flip the bearing (as we previously discussed on this thread) and make a new adapter piece. This way it appears we have enough room to get everything assembled properly and no modifying the Lovejoy coupling either.

The plan was to take 1.75" Cold rolled and bore a hole that the rectangular PTO shaft could fit into on one end, and cut a keyway for the lovejoy on the other end. Then insert the rect shaft, which will be centered now, and weld it in place. So the part is now made (pic) but I need to cut the PTO shaft shorter about 1/4" to make everything fit happy. Then I will weld it in place and should be done. I have to grind a little more clearance into the end plate of the subframe, but no biggie.

So pretty close to done now, just need to find time to weld it, wrap it up and reinstall. Hopefully the Lovejoy does the trick!

Here is the PTO shaft inserted in the hole in the adapter. It is a very light press into place. Tapping a block of wood is sufficient to drive it in. You can see the keyway on the far end too.

Adapter ver 2.jpg

/ New problem with broom - lost hydraulics #34  
Appreciate the update and certainly hope lovejoy solves the problem.

Finally got it welded today but don't have it all back together. Having a hard time finding the full length Key stock. Need to try another Menards or two to find one that actually has it in stock...

I preheated it to 200+ deg first since it has a lot of mass of cold steel. Just my basic propane/MAPP torch for that. I put down "2 coats" ;) of hot glue since there was a bit of a gap around the shaft due to the hole size we bored to fit it in. Had the welder turned way up for this one. For those curious:

ER70-S6 0.045" wire
~300-310 ips feed
~25.1 V setting
Prob got 230-240A on the readout, but you have to look quick right after you stop or it disappears and I did not look...

New PTO shaft welded.jpg

/ New problem with broom - lost hydraulics #36  
You plan on testing it out before the next snow just to be sure the repair is gonna hold?

Fer sure. Once I get it all back together there is always a test run...

Only had a little time tonight but I did pick up the correct key stock, so I was able to assemble it. Bolts are only snug right now and need to be tightened down once I am sure it is all aligned correctly, but I kind of need the pump to do that. If I pull the pump off the broom, it is going to be a mess of oil trying to drain out, so I will probably just do the final alignment with it all in place. At least getting under the tractor is super easy compared to most other types of vehicles...

So here it is back together as of now:

PTO shaft v2 complete (1) (Large).jpg

PTO shaft v2 complete (2) (Large).jpg

The spline has an interesting way to lock the splined shaft to the Lovejoy. You see thsoe goofy looking holes next to the spline there? The holes are basically relief so that the set screws on the outside of the coupling can squeeze down on the spline a bit to give it some friction.

After looking things over with my machinist friend he said that the failure was fretting corrosion, which is something I know was mentioned earlier in this thread here too. So securing the pump shaft to the Lovejoy should help avoid that and the coupling can take up the slop. I hope... Not sure what to do on the off season as the Lovejoy is pretty much trapped but the spline end is not really secured to anything without the pump in place. I don't think it can fall out, but it won't be secured either and can go partway into the 4" bore at the end, which I don't like, so I may have to zip tie it in the summer or something. Dunno yet.

Edit - had a thought while looking at that photo. If I make a steel strap with 2 holes that match up to the pump mount holes, and put a small spacer welded to it in the middle to keep the Lovejoy in place, it should all stay put just fine, and gives me a convenient place to not lose the pump bolts over the summer!

Last edited:
Back in business! Finally got the PTO subframe remounted yesterday and got the broom back on tonight and tried it out. It all lined up quite easily and I really didn't have to do any adjusting, which surprised me, but I'll take it. Seems to work fine again. After an hour of brooming off the ~1" of powder we got yesterday, I put my hand on the coupler and it was warm to the touch, but not hot. Some of that may be heat transfer from the pump/fluid too. Dunno. So here are a couple shots of the PTO coupling in place and the pump attached, and a short video from the cab of it throwing snow.

PTO-pump connection (1) (Large).jpg

PTO-pump connection (2) (Large).jpg

PTO-pump connection (3) (Large).jpg