New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #1  

pokey1416

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060HSTC, Kubota ZT
Started building my "mobile screener" in the dump trailer yesterday. It all started with the wife wanting her landscaping rocks "cleaned". When I objected she reminded me that I have a rather expensive tool (tractor) in the garage that I had previously said would work for this project. I asked her to produce audio or video "evidence" that I said that - no just kidding - I replied "ok, you're right".

IMG_0909.JPG

I don't have a welder anymore (lost in divorce #1) so I went to a standby product, Unistrut. I had contacted a local gravel pit and the owner graciously allowed me to dig through their screen scrap pile to find some screen sections that were replaced. These screens are 59"x47" so they will be a tad small in the trailer but I fixed that I think.

Here's what I scored from the scrap pile. Sieve size is 1"x1" and may be a little large for this project. If so I'll overlay a 2nd layer offset from the base, which should work ok.

IMG_0732.JPG

Picked up the P1000 slotted Unistrut and laid out a cutting table outside. To cheap to buy B2B strut so I had to remove small pieces of the outside channel to get my socket in there (I don't have any thinwall sockets). Picked up a Lenox steel cutting blade at Lowe's.

IMG_0908.JPG

Trailer is 5'x10', got the first frame in place and laid the gravel screen with underside up as it has a camber from being used. Not sure yet how I will secure it down, maybe zip ties? Or, I can drill into the strut frame and utilized a bolt (or screw) and washer. I want to be able to remove this by myself and have hopes to screen some topsoil with it after overlaying with the correct size screen.

IMG_0913.JPG

Double strutted on one side to close the gap. Secured that side with 4-hole 90's and the opposite side which sits on lip of trailer, with 2-hole. Strut bolts are 1/2"x1". Here's the screen sitting on the first frame.

IMG_0914.JPG

Another angle from the back. Not sure yet how I want to do the partial piece at the back. I know I want to be able to use the spreader function of the tailgate, and I'll have to cut some plywood "closers" for the gaps in the sides at the back.

IMG_0915.JPG

For the landscape rock screening I'm trying to get all the dirt and debris out of the rocks so I plan to keep the bed down, dump in a bucket full, and have wife wash with power washer. I'll have tailgate sideboards removed but leave tailgate closed and (in theory) I should be able to raise bed, spoils will stay in the trailer and the rocks roll off the back nice and clean.

Here's a pile and look at location of where I'm removing rocks. Of course, I had to dig down a little and do some fixing from my boo-boo when I built the house in 1995. Cultured stone installed on foundation and continues to "slip" as I didn't do a brick ledge.

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

I'll update thread as it goes and please leave me comments :)

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #2  
Looks good.
So she wants the rocks picked up and washed for re-use?

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #3  
Nice project! I have some similar river-rock landscaping stone that has absorbed a lot of dirt over the years. And trying to relocate my spare piles of this rock just meant me mixing in a lot of soil also.

I have been pondering building a stand-alone sieve/screener stand that I could move around with my tractor and run bucket loads of material through. But it seems like better sifting results are obtained from vibratory systems, and I don't want to put a gas motor on the thing and figure that all out.

Power washer use atop your screen should work pretty well to blast the dirt off. Might take a lot of dumps though, to avoid your wet dirt sludge from pushing back out the rear end when you tilt the bed up....? 1" screen holes do seem a little large..... good luck!

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer
In my perfect world (ha) I’ll be able to keep tailgate closed and clean stones will roll off top above tailgate. If mud seeps out of tailgate I’ll try and park tractor bucket under and stones can roll into bucket. If velocity is to high and stones bouncing up onto hood I plan to have a partial sheet of plywood at back side of bucket.

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #6  
I'm having trouble understanding how you will get the clean rock unloaded off the screen. It must be obvious but I'm just not "getting it". Help me understand, please.

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #7  
I'm having trouble understanding how you will get the clean rock unloaded off the screen. It must be obvious but I'm just not "getting it". Help me understand, please.
1.Place dirty rock on screen.
2.Wash off rock allowing dirty water through screen into slightly tilted dump tub below until Water flows clean
3.move dump trailer to area where clean rock is wanted
4.Tilt trailer fully to dump rock off of screen onto ground.

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #8  
This is awesome! Well done. I speak for myself when I say, “Please make a video.”

Didn’t get a whole lot done this weekend but am ready to cut last screen. I checked to make sure the tailgate could still open either way.

CB6E7521-43A7-4DDC-9637-11802B064541.jpeg
5BF6A72C-7239-4489-8569-94E22818C7FA.jpeg
DE79B49D-D4C2-43D5-9627-DC8D8BBEE72D.jpeg

Now I’m trying to figure out how to keep it from sliding off the back when I raise dump bed. Got a couple ideas but I want to be able to take this in and out rather easily.

/ New Purpose Build for Dump Trailer #10  
Can't wait to see the first screenings. I'm looking for screens right now.