New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #11  
Many models of Mahindra is made by TYM, look into a T474 if you need a smaller frame with 48.3Hp to get into tighter places, one frame size up and more capacities are a T494 with the same 48.3Hp engine. It's a mechanical injected n/a engine based upon a Cummins A-series(older Onan design reworked), and is very reliable. If you go to the T574 (55Hp) (Same frame size as T494)it has a Turbo added to the same engine.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.
With what you are describing, I'm wondering if something like the Kubota M62 would be the best fit for you.

I have a Mahindra 3550 which works well for what I do, and I think it does better in mud than the kubota would, due primarily to tire size. But the backhoe (I have a 75B) is not as capable, and Mahindra doesn't offer the 3550 with the 75B backhoe anymore - I think the 65B is pretty undersized for the machine.

My 3550 is a pretty heavy machine (similar to the M62), and works well for me doing heavy work - but that extra weight isn't necessarily a good thing when trying to climb hills, or when towing.
That M62 does look impressive. The bucket is definitely large enough for my tasks, but with only using the backhoe for small periods and projects, maybe I could get by with a smaller back hoe, as long as it would reach the depth I needed. Do you find your 3550 struggles with certain weights of loads? How much does yours weigh? Also, what is the lift capacity on the front loader?

You are correct. I posted to a Mahindra forum, because I am interested in Mahindra tractors. As of now, they are on the top of my list. You are incorrect in assuming a 35hp will suit my needs. A 35 won't budge my truck, or even things that I have pulled with my truck through the same terrain. That being said, again, thank you for your input. ;)

I was looking at TYM for the price standpoint, as well. It seems like their dealers usually set up nice packages, from what I've seen. I don't think there are any dealers near me, would be a downfall to that, in case of warranty work, but I will look into that more. Thank you.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #15  
That M62 does look impressive. The bucket is definitely large enough for my tasks, but with only using the backhoe for small periods and projects, maybe I could get by with a smaller back hoe, as long as it would reach the depth I needed. Do you find your 3550 struggles with certain weights of loads? How much does yours weigh? Also, what is the lift capacity on the front loader?
My 3550 is 6300 pounds with the loader arms, no bucket, and nothing on the back. So, depending on how it's configured, it can weigh anywhere from that number up to about 9k pounds.

The bucket that comes with it is too small in my opinion, I built one that I think is better suited for most things. Though my grapple is what lives on the front most often.

I included some pictures that I think I've posted in other threads, showing some of the capabilities. All the logs were moved there with it. Some of them, it'll barely lift off the ground. I do know that it will lift the back axle of my truck off the ground if I want it to.

One thing I don't think you have mentioned is choice of transmission. Mine is hydro, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The hydro does sap some power though, so you lose something for the advantage of ease of operation and maneuverability. But the ability to instantaneously change speeds is extremely valuable to bushhogging in the woods, and other tasks that I do.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 697.png
    ScreenHunter 697.png
    808.2 KB · Views: 112
  • ScreenHunter 717.png
    ScreenHunter 717.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 118
  • ScreenHunter 718.png
    ScreenHunter 718.png
    737.7 KB · Views: 106
  • ScreenHunter 719.png
    ScreenHunter 719.png
    861.5 KB · Views: 108
My 3550 is 6300 pounds with the loader arms, no bucket, and nothing on the back. So, depending on how it's configured, it can weigh anywhere from that number up to about 9k pounds.

The bucket that comes with it is too small in my opinion, I built one that I think is better suited for most things. Though my grapple is what lives on the front most often.

I included some pictures that I think I've posted in other threads, showing some of the capabilities. All the logs were moved there with it. Some of them, it'll barely lift off the ground. I do know that it will lift the back axle of my truck off the ground if I want it to.

One thing I don't think you have mentioned is choice of transmission. Mine is hydro, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The hydro does sap some power though, so you lose something for the advantage of ease of operation and maneuverability. But the ability to instantaneously change speeds is extremely valuable to bushhogging in the woods, and other tasks that I do.
I'm thinking I'm gonna want a grapple now, too. Lol. Honestly, just from reading on the internet a little, I still don't know much about the different transmissions. That will be another choice to make, that I wasn't thinking about. Right there with ag or turf tires. What is the weight capacity of the front loader?

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #17  
I'm thinking I'm gonna want a grapple now, too. Lol. Honestly, just from reading on the internet a little, I still don't know much about the different transmissions. That will be another choice to make, that I wasn't thinking about. Right there with ag or turf tires. What is the weight capacity of the front loader?
It's rated to 2700 pounds full height, 5100 breakout or something like that. It's close to the machine's capabilities for stability, even with a heavy counterweight. I have had logs on there, going downhill, where the back end lifted up even with the backhoe at full extension. It does lose some capability the higher you go though.

And if you haven't operated a shuttle, or hydro, try to figure out a way to do that in real life (friend with tractor or something like that). There are advantages to each. I personally think hydro is the way to go for most people, but it can vary depending on the needs.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #18  
Don't know how much this applies when comparing other sizes and brands.

Ways B2601 is better than JD 2 series

o Starts cold a lot better: no shudder/shake nor smoke..
o Float on FEL is very easily engaged, almost too easy.
o 2wd/4wd is so easy.
o Hydraulics are MUCH stronger. Flow is near 3 times but makes for a more jerky FEL use.
o Idles nicely at 1,100. The 1025R was abnoxious at 1,650; 2025R was 1,300.
o Drink holder is bigger than the joke one on the 2025R. Not sure it'll hold my little thermos. Put the Frontier doc holder top on the left side of the FEL tower as my drink holder.
o Parking brake is easier to disengage but seems a tad harder to engage.

o Guards to the valve stems.
o Metal covering over the driveshaft (JDs only have plastic)
o 3ph raises a tad higher
o The fuel cap actually screws on and off easier.

o The radiator overflow container is right in front and easy to get to. Needed a screwdriver to take the top off the one on the 2025R and a funnel with long snout to refill it. Then top was hard to put back on. Actually, the B’s is not much easier to get off, and a long snout funnel is needed on it.
o More room to get the end snorkel off the air cleaner.
o The brake pedal lock snaps off by tapping the pedals. Hard to get off at times on the JDs.
o Top link is really easy to turn, e.g. that grease point maybe. Actually smaller, too. The tilt one is also smaller and easy to turn if load is taken off it..
o Three position steering wheel.
o Of course, 3 range HST control. Only 2 on the JDs.

o Fuel use is 0.014 gph/engine hp vs. 0.025 gph/engine hp on 3 Yanmar JDs. Exhaust is not blackening the back side of the FEL.

o Slightly lower hood for easier refill. Have a battery pump that makes this easy by sitting container on foot area of the tractor.

o The stuff under the seat is easier to clean out. There’s a clear path to put silicone spray on all moving parts. All the JDs seemed to have a pan/sheet metal there that made cleanout almost impossible.

o Quiet HST vs. 3 JDs that whined like mad.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #19  
I think that the Mahindra 35 series has been discontinued, I just bought the 5145 it is a cross between the 36 series (replaced the 35 i think and has also been discontinued) the 55 series and the old school 45 series. It is heavy, close to 7000# with FEL, the FEL will lift 3100# at the pins to full height, it has a 12f 12r shuttle (no hydrostat) it is built like a tank and the cost is verrrrry good. The 51 series is more basic with no electric over hydr stuff not power shuttle so the price is less than the 2660 and less complicated for stuff to go wrong. the 51 series is the largest tractor that Mahindra makes that is still considered a CUT so it is still small enough and maneuverable enough to get into tight spaces.

I stuck with the 45hp 5145 version because it is $4k cheaper than the 5155 and does not have a turbo. The 45 would be good for most of the things you are listing that you want to do but I would think that the 5155 would be better for you, mostly the mowing large areas of pasture, my dealer tells me that the 45 is marginal when you go up to a 12' rotary cutter but with 80 acres to mow you might need the extra hp / cutter size. The 51 series is a very heavy and stable frame with a solid drive line.

As far as pulling some thing out of the mud hp is not the answer, weight and traction are, so you may want agg tires not the r4 industrial tires and a heavy 4wd tractor. It looks like you have the equipment to haul a 7K tractor so IMO go big on frame size and Mahindra will give you lots of that.

I have no experience with the backhoe, so I will let others fill you in on that.

I spent a lot of time researching everything that was available in my area. JD and Kubota were about 2x the price for what i was wanting, TYM, Koti, Branson all had competitive offerings but no real dealers in my area, LS has the MT342 which was my second choice but the engine is a turbo which I wanted to avoid, the dealer was 100 miles away (but a nice guy) the killer was that LS will not allow a customer access to the service manual (at all even tried to get the dealer to make some kind of a deal but no go, I had the factory Mahindra service manual before i got the the 5145), that was too bad because the MT342 would have been at least $5k cheaper for a tractor with all most as much capability (LS has a very strong offering with lots of premium features for less money).

The best for last, IMO the most important thing is how the tractor and the dealer fit you, so spend some seat time on the tractor you think you want and talk with the dealer, I spent a few more dollars going with my local dealer instead of the big dealer that is 120 miles away mostly because the local dealer did not act like a used car salesman. Also the tractor i ended up with, I love but it was not even the tractor i was looking at until i sat on some.

The 51 series is new (may be a con but most of the assembly's are carried over from the models it is replacing) here is a thread on it:
Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

Good Luck and i hope that i have been some help.

Last edited:
   / New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #20  
A grapple is your best friend, be sure to get a 3rd function kit, i had the dealer install mine but WR long makes a good kit for the 51 series it cost about $900.00 the dealer installed mine for 1300.00. Mahindra is coming out with a diverter kit for the 51 series and the FEL joystick is prewired for a diverter valve but IMO the true 3rd function is better. The transmission is a personal choice if you are like me and are use to a an old school shift non syncro transmission the syncro shuttle and syncro speed gears are perfect, but i can also see the draw of the hydrostat transmission. IMO the hydrostat has 2 weakness it is IMO less durable than the shuttle and it saps some HP, the shuttle is a little slower for FEL work and the ground speed is tied to the pto speed so some fancy clutch / shifting work is required if you are trying to mow in tight spaces or need to vary the ground speed of the tractor while keeping the PTO at speed. I also don't like that most of the Hydrostat tractors put the brakes on the left, but i think you would get use to that after a wile.

Last edited: