New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions.
hook up any modern 4wd tractor to any stuck object, put it in low range low gear rev it up to rated speed and pull. 1 of 3 things is going to happen:
1. The tractor loses traction.
2. Something breaks.
3. The stuck object becomes unstuck.

more HP will not change any of the 3 outcomes except #2

In a 4wd truck/jeep more hp will allow spinning of larger tires to clear the treads on them to provide more traction but not much and on a tractor with agg or R4 tires spinning the tires does not help much
I'm going back to the weight again. Neither tractor had the weight to stay planted, and that was after almost getting stuck themselves. The winch drug them to me. The guy with the 25hp John Deere did not want to chain the two tractors together, which might have worked or might not have. Either way, that doesn't encompass my only need for the tractor. Just one of the things I thought of at the moment, when I thought I may be leaving my truck and riding a couple miles on the side of one of their tractors. Lol

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #32  
hook up any modern 4wd tractor to any stuck object, put it in low range low gear rev it up to rated speed and pull. 1 of 3 things is going to happen:
1. The tractor loses traction.
2. Something breaks.
3. The stuck object becomes unstuck.

more HP will not change any of the 3 outcomes except #2

In a 4wd truck/jeep more hp will allow spinning of larger tires to clear the treads on them to provide more traction but not much and on a tractor with agg or R4 tires spinning the tires does not help much
Not always there are many times, well actually I can't think of many when I used low range first pulling another stuck tractor or truck out.
I was usually in a gear that would give me 5 to 6 mph at least, and yes that was with enough horsepower to break traction at those speeds
even with a heavy tractor.
My last heavy pull out was my neighbor a couple of years ago, my "little" 8050 which is dressed out to close to 12,000 pounds with chains all the way around pulling on his stuck IH 966 with a tandem axle manure spreader in deep mud.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #33  
Not always there are many times, well actually I can't think of many when I used low range first pulling another stuck tractor or truck out.
I was usually in a gear that would give me 5 to 6 mph at least, and yes that was with enough horsepower to break traction at those speeds
even with a heavy tractor.
My last heavy pull out was my neighbor a couple of years ago, my "little" 8050 which is dressed out to close to 12,000 pounds with chains all the way around pulling on his stuck IH 966 with a tandem axle manure spreader in deep mud.
I agree with all you stated, my point is that in none of these cases would additional HP have helped the tractor, with truck tires there is something to be said for tire spin clearing the lugs and providing better traction, that is not the case for agg tires or even R4s, tractors have so much gearing that for low speed tasks like pulling in mud does not help unless you want to try turning the stuck event into a mud drag race, but that just increases the chances of #2 on my list.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #34  
I have 28 acres and a Mahindra 1626. I do everything with it except snow.

A heavier tractor may come in handy getting the truck unstuck but the heavier the tractor you get stuck, the more trouble you're in for.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #35  
yep if stuck, a TOO heavy (to do what you need to do) tractor really sucks but conversely a TOO light tractor really sucks all the time.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #36  
yep if stuck, a TOO heavy (to do what you need to do) tractor really sucks but conversely a TOO light tractor really sucks all the time.
I've used many large tractors. It's pretty amazing what you can get done with a 26 horse machine.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #37  
I scanned the posts here but still not sure if you have defined the goals of $, weight, and HP.
I am sitting at 6000 lbs with loader, backhoe, and filled tires and 37 HP.
I found it used last year for under 30k with 80 hours of use as a mower.

FB has a 2638 group and seems like almost everyone is happy with it.
A recent poll showed 90% would buy again if I remember correctly.
IF that is in your range, then it might be worth a look to investigate more there.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #38  
I've used many large tractors. It's pretty amazing what you can get done with a 26 horse machine.
then I would say it was not TOO light to do what you needed to do right?

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #39  
then I would say it was not TOO light to do what you needed to do right?
No. I haven't had much issue with weight. I can't recommend filling rear tires enough though. I work on a lot of hills.

/ New to mid size tractors. Looking for some opinions. #40  
No. I haven't had much issue with weight. I can't recommend filling rear tires enough though. I work on a lot of hills.
I hear you the 5145 is heavy to start with and my property is very flat so i'm avoiding the whole filled tires thing, but i am working on a counter weight, I'm thinking that i'm going to add weight to my box blade. It needs weight to work better anyway and most times when im using the FEL i need it anyway.