New tractor suggestions for snow removal

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #1  

alaskatractor2021

Tractor
None
Hello!
Looking to buy a tractor for a 300 yard(ish) gravel/ dirt driveway w some elevation. Been looking at
the Kubota’s in the 25-30 hp range. New tractor owner here. Suggestions please and TY.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #2  
You in Alaska I take? Well, if you have the Kubota dealer close to you is always a plus. You probably would want a cab since you're in Alaska. Have you watch GP Outdoors on Youtube, he is in central Ontario and has a lot of good videos on his LX2610.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #3  
block heater, I second the cab recommendation. If extreme cold where you are, figure out how much of the radiator you need to block off to keep the engine warm.
Inside storage for tractor if possible.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / New tractor suggestions for snow removal #4  
Be aware that tractors above 25 horsepower have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the associated computer controls. That's why I drew the line at my L2501.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #5  
What's your average snow storm depth and type of snow? I just use a rear blade as we don't get enough to bother with a blower and our driveway doesn't drift in so big banks are fine. If you have a lot of wind you might want a blower.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #6  
Late model or new cabbed 4x4 diesel tractor with FEL, SSQA and at least 2 rear remotes. I would go *at least* 30 hp, since you say "with some elevation". How much elevation are we talking about? You may want something with a turbo so you don't suffer a big hp hit from the thin air.

You may be ok with a front plow, if you have plenty of room to stack snow. The down side of *only* a plow, is if you DO run out of room for snow piles, you're kind of hosed. A rear snow blower will let you throw snow over the top and past the existing snow piles.

A block heater is obvious. But an oil pan heater and a hydraulic sump heater are the cat's backside when it's *our version* of cold. My tractor sits in an unheated shed, and spent it's first 3 years parked outside. Like you, it gets cold here (you may be colder, depending on how far up state you are) but it regularly gets -30 to -40F here. Those 3 heaters, block, pan, and hydro sump, will keep you tractoring along all winter. I have mine on a timer that comes on at about 4am, and turns off at about 10am. You'll also want to run synthetic oil.

If you're plowing/blowing snow on hills, or steep driveways, you will want rear chains for sure, possibly front chains if you're getting pushed sideways by the plow.

20181227_055315.jpg

Just another day...

At least at our new house, all my "stuff" can sit in an enclosed (yet unheated) building.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal #7  
243932051_10158323575780983_791560290027659801_n.jpg

I just bought this plow replacing my bucket this year, but I also have an inverted snowblower MK Martin Meteor 68'' on the 3 point since I do not have drifting snow, but we can get 1-2 feet at times in one helping.

/ New tractor suggestions for snow removal
You in Alaska I take? Well, if you have the Kubota dealer close to you is always a plus. You probably would want a cab since you're in Alaska. Have you watch GP Outdoors on Youtube, he is in central Ontario and has a lot of good videos on his LX2610.
Sure am. No dealer close. Would be buying from WA and shipping up. I’m in SE AK. The dealer is quoting a LX2610 w cab for around 30k.Appreciate your reply. Will check out the YT channel.

block heater, I second the cab recommendation. If extreme cold where you are, figure out how much of the radiator you need to block off to keep the engine warm.
Inside storage for tractor if possible.
Block heater, will add. Thanks!

Be aware that tractors above 25 horsepower have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and the associated computer controls. That's why I drew the line at my L2501.
Is that the “regen” I keep hearing about? I don’t think the LX2610 has that but I’m not sure. Thanks for the reply!