New trailer, farm and on-road use

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #1  

PA452

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Thinking about getting a new (or used) single-axle trailer. Intended use on-road would be hauling an ATV or side-by-side, or maybe a lawn tractor occasionally, as well as other miscellaneous smaller/lighter things. Intended use off road is on some large trails and farm roads around fields pulled by a tractor, for things like firewood, storm clean-up, and lots of other random misc uses.

This is a bit of a tall order, but I'm thinking of the following criteria ideally:

• 12' in length
  • 5200# axle (Not sure if this is necessary over a 3500# axle. Off-road I could see loading the trailer up with firewood and getting beyond the load rating of a 3500# with a 12' deck maybe?)
  • Swivel jack rather than fixed position. (While I don't intend to take this on terrain too rough, I can easily see situations where a fixed jack might hit the ground while moving on uneven terrain.)
  • No/minimal exposed wiring. (Again, don't plan on dragging this through the woods, but maybe through an unmowed field with the tractor.)
  • No beaver tail. (Again, a beaver tail I'd expect would hit the ground at times.)
  • Landscape style rails and ramp. (I have a dual axle landscape trailer and really prefer this setup.)

One other thing that would be nice, but will make it just that much harder to get... I see a lot of trailers out there with a fold-up ramp on the front side of the trailer for loading an ATV sideways on the front. Well I've also seen them with ladder-style ramps that slide in place to form the landscape rails on both sides of the front of the trailer. That seems like a near perfect solution to me. It would let me load an ATV sideways on the front, gives me generally a short rail all the way around when I want it, but also let's me load a pallet with forks onto the front from the side.

I feel reasonably confident in what I want, more just looking for ideas and things I haven't thought of. One thing I've never done is pull a trailer of this type with a tractor. Was figuring on getting one of those 3ph receiver hitches rather than using the draw bar. What I like about the 3ph receiver idea is I figure if ever the trailer would start to push the tractor while going down a hill, you can drop the 3ph. I'm sure it would make a mess of things, but at least it would probably stop.

Thoughts?

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #2  
Quick thoughts...

1 - Have you considered owning two different types of trailers? Each would be dedicated to its purposes.

2 - Wiring & light fixtures can be protected well. Either specify prior to the build or improve from one chosen on the lot.

3 - Use a draw bar, using a 3ph with a ball is asking for trouble. You can’t “drop” the 3ph fast enough when things gets wiry and when it does, the trailer will push up the rear and of your tractor and you’ll loose traction very quickly. Wise folks who uses 3ph ball hitches use them on level grounds for moving trailers around.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #3  
There are several trailer manufacturers that make the side loading trailers, but you'll have to order one with gives you the option to get all the other things you want. Quotes I'm getting for trailer build times are running in the 2 months time frame for a dump trailer.

As for the jack, mine is welded on by the manufacturer and was a problem so I cut off the bottom with a hacksaw.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #4  
None of what you named is difficult to order but side loading capability raise's cost consideriably because of need for different main frame. As for towing a loaded two wheel trailer with a tractor,drawbar with stabalizer links to where top link ordinarly hook's is better than 3 point recievers I've seen. The main problem is preventing tongue from flying up while stopping,going over rough terrain and loading wheeled vehicles. I use a swinging drawbar most of time but it doesn't alow turning short as I would like.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #5  
See this.

2;) Sure Trac 7x18' Manual Tilt Car Trailer 7# GVW * DIAMOND PLATE FENDERS * 5" TUBE TONGE/FRAME * SEALED WIRING HARNESS * 7K SET BACK JACK * STAKE POCKETS/D-RINGS/RUBRAIL * REMOVABLE FENDER * UNDER FRAME BRIDGE | Best Choice Trailers & RVs | Locations in Pittsburgh & Harrisburg Area

Sure it's not perfect.

Its has a tube frame that protects wires. Flat sides for side loading, you can put a cheap set of ramps on the side. No beaver tail, but since it tilts, it's similar to a landscape trailer. You can always change the jack to a boat style bolt on one.

Best of luck.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #6  
I guess it depends where you live I would not get a tube frame around here they rust from the inside out.........:2cents:

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use
See this.

22 Sure Trac 7x18' Manual Tilt Car Trailer 7# GVW * DIAMOND PLATE FENDERS * 5" TUBE TONGE/FRAME * SEALED WIRING HARNESS * 7K SET BACK JACK * STAKE POCKETS/D-RINGS/RUBRAIL * REMOVABLE FENDER * UNDER FRAME BRIDGE | Best Choice Trailers & RVs | Locations in Pittsburgh & Harrisburg Area

Sure it's not perfect.

Its has a tube frame that protects wires. Flat sides for side loading, you can put a cheap set of ramps on the side. No beaver tail, but since it tilts, it's similar to a landscape trailer. You can always change the jack to a boat style bolt on one.

Best of luck.

Thanks, already have a dual axle trailer though.

I'm thinking a single axle trailer would be better in the fields and such when pulled behind a tractor. For example, I envision being in a field, trailer loaded with firewood, pulling with a tractor over uneven terrain in a near 90° turn. Just seems like a single axle trailer is going to handle that sort of use a little more gracefully.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use
Good advice on the 3ph vs draw bar guys, thanks. I hadn't thought of the fact that there's nothing keeping the tongue from lifting up on the 3ph.

What do you guys think about the 5200# axle on a single axle trailer? They seem to be like unicorns, definitely something that would need ordered. But then I started wondering if it's really worth it. In the situations where I'd be pushing the weight capacity limits, I'd be pulling it with a tractor at low speeds. I'm wondering if that affords me a little more capacity. I figure they're designing a 3500# axle to handle the stated loads and deal with a pothole or rough hit at highway speeds. But in this situation, while it would be on uneven terrain, it would be very slow and easy when used with a heavy load.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #9  
I understand the single axle trailer advantages. I love my single axle.

I would go to a custom trailer builder.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #10