New trailer, farm and on-road use

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #11  
The torsion axles would be better off road.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use

Some things I like about that one actually, but it's a little more than I'd like to spend without getting more of exactly what I want.

I like the look of this one (link below). Just a question of is the capacity insufficient for my use. I'll easily get over that listed payload capacity occasionally with firewood or a water tote. But like I was saying before, we're not talking about rolling down the road at highway speeds with it when hauling that kind of weight. It would be very low speed, easy pulling with a heavy load behind a tractor. On the road, I'd never have a reason to carry a really heavy load on it. Probably just wishful thinking though.

2;) Lamar 7x12' ATV Utility Landscape Trailer 299# GVW * ATV RAMPS * CHARCOAL * CAST COUPLER * SEALED COLD WEATHER HARNESS * 4" CHANNEL FULL WRAP TONGUE * STAKE POCKET TIE DOWNS * 2X2" TUBE GATE C/M * SPRING ASSIST GATE * SWVIEL JACK | Best Choice Trailers & RVs | Locations in Pittsburgh & Harrisburg Area

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #13  
Overloaded and offroad is quiet a spectrum.

Personally I take my single axle dump in the woods and through a rough field, while overloaded by about 10 to 15 percent. It's a rough rutted surface and you feel and hear the truck and trailer flex alot. The trailer has a tenancy to shove the truck alot. But it works. I do this 4 or 5 times per year. The trailer coupler is also a huge item most folks do not consider. I max out the articulation of my standard 2 inch coupler everytime. I've committed to only get an adjustable coupler in the future so I can use a pintle off road, and switch to a ball coupler with two bolts for road use, that lamar equipment tilt has that type of coupler. Personally, I think and overloaded trailer is worse off road, than on road.

With that being said, a water tote filled is 2400 lbs, and a cord of work is about the same. You will be about 37 percent overload, I would think that would be ok occasionally, but that depends what occasionally is, and how rough your surface is. Folks on TBN to upsell way to often, which I try not to do. But consider a leaf spring hardware repair, spindle repair, in your price deliberation.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #14  
The military rates trailers for a lighter load when used off-road.

M105-trailer-data-plate.jpg M101-trailer-data-plate.jpg

Bruce

The military rates trailers for a lighter load when used off-road.

View attachment 664303 View attachment 664302

Bruce

Interesting, thanks for posting that. Still, I have to figure when they came up with the cross-county payload rating, they were figuring it potentially moving at traveling speeds. I'd be moving at a slow creep pulling with a tractor. Not saying I'd be good to go, but I'm not sure if it's entirely comparable.

That pic leads me to question something though. For the trailer I linked above, the GWVR is listed at 2990#. That's the weight of the trailer plus the payload. But are you supposed to subtract the weight being applied to the tongue supported by the tow vehicle hitch?

Overloaded and offroad is quiet a spectrum.

Personally I take my single axle dump in the woods and through a rough field, while overloaded by about 10 to 15 percent. It's a rough rutted surface and you feel and hear the truck and trailer flex alot. The trailer has a tenancy to shove the truck alot. But it works. I do this 4 or 5 times per year. The trailer coupler is also a huge item most folks do not consider. I max out the articulation of my standard 2 inch coupler everytime. I've committed to only get an adjustable coupler in the future so I can use a pintle off road, and switch to a ball coupler with two bolts for road use, that lamar equipment tilt has that type of coupler. Personally, I think and overloaded trailer is worse off road, than on road.

With that being said, a water tote filled is 2400 lbs, and a cord of work is about the same. You will be about 37 percent overload, I would think that would be ok occasionally, but that depends what occasionally is, and how rough your surface is. Folks on TBN to upsell way to often, which I try not to do. But consider a leaf spring hardware repair, spindle repair, in your price deliberation.

Good info, thanks. Being able to swap out between a ball and a pintle is something I never considered.

On the tote, I suppose I could just not completely fill the tote. Keep it to say 225 gallon or less and see how it does.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #17  
Interesting, thanks for posting that. Still, I have to figure when they came up with the cross-county payload rating, they were figuring it potentially moving at traveling speeds. I'd be moving at a slow creep pulling with a tractor. Not saying I'd be good to go, but I'm not sure if it's entirely comparable.

That pic leads me to question something though. For the trailer I linked above, the GWVR is listed at 2990#. That's the weight of the trailer plus the payload. But are you supposed to subtract the weight being applied to the tongue supported by the tow vehicle hitch?

That 2990# rating is probably because most states require brakes on trailers rated for over 3000#.

As I understand it, trailer GVWR is the weight on the axles, it doesn't count weight on the hitch.

Aaron Z

That 2990# rating is probably because most states require brakes on trailers rated for over 3000#.

As I understand it, trailer GVWR is the weight on the axles, it doesn't count weight on the hitch.

Aaron Z

Ohh, hadn't thought of that. I did think 2990# was kind of an goofy rating to build it to with a 3500# axle.

That trailer I linked might be more of an option than I thought in that case. Let's say it could handle the full axle weight in reality, that would give it a payload capacity of 2,285#, which would equate to over 260 gallons of water. So I could maybe use a 275 gallon tote to near full capacity. More wishful thinking maybe. ;)

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #19  
I guess it depends where you live I would not get a tube frame around here they rust from the inside out.........:2cents:

I don't think that's because we're in the rust belt, either. They weld them up tight so when condensation forms the water has nowhere to go. I bought a used set of Katahdin racks for my pickup, made from square tubing; I had to shrink them to fit my Ranger and when I did the water ran right out. One solution might be to put a couple of drain holes in the bottom.

On a similar note; back when vehicles were all rear wheel drive, drive shafts were commonly reused for making pickup bumpers. I had people telling me they were filled with a gas, because they "exploded" when putting a torch to them. What really happened of course, was that the heat caused the air to compress and it escaped with some force when released.

2900 lbs may be accurate for a cord of dry softwood, but if you haul green hardwood expect a cord to weigh closer to 5000.

/ New trailer, farm and on-road use #20  

Aaron Z

correct.