New Truck time

/ New Truck time #111  
Try 1800. Easily doable with a 3/4 ton.

So you are saying pull a 18000lb trailer off the rear hitch of a 3/4 ton.

Probably better off with a GN which requires 20-25% on the pin so you are again over capacity on most 3/4 tons. Not saying you can't do it as long as your axles/tires are within limits.

You can find a set up that would probably be 'legalish' like a 10000 gvw SRW and a 16000 gvw trailer. You are at the limit though and gonna pass some rated limits, but as long as the axles/tires can handle the load you'd probably be ok.

Just bringing this up as an example to research before you buy. An average construction company guy like me doesn't want a DRW because it is rated for too much and pulling commercial I'll be a target.

/ New Truck time
Boy, did this thread take a turn.

/ New Truck time #113  
Yeah it did, lol. Don't even know how this subject came up.

/ New Truck time #114  
OP -

Shop out the dealers, prices and driving experience. I think any of the new half tons will easily do what you want and get good fuel mileage. Try all the features and start a checklist of things you like, and things you don't.

The trucks are really so evenly matched these days, that it comes down to which ones you feel personally comfortable in and the style that you prefer. When I was shopping, I had a very specific brand and model of truck in mind, and I didn't vary on that much. I got a few more options than I was looking for, and it turns out that I like them.

A mistake I made was shopping the dealers for the right sale and after sales support. My local GMC dealer was great, but they couldn't locate the truck I wanted, and ordering was 9 weeks out. My local Chevy dealer was horrible, but had the truck on the lot. All the Chevy dealers I visited (3 in total) treated me like dirt. The GMC guys were great, but couldn't get the truck I wanted. Shopped the Fords a bit, but could not hit the price point/options I was looking at, so I finally bought a Chevy from a dealer that started good, but tried to pull a fast one mid-deal.

So - I can't stress enough to buy from a reputable dealer, who will work with you on price, but will treat you right. Spend your time researching and test driving. A good, no-pressure test drive will also help weed out the dealers.

I've bought service parts and plenty of accessories for my new truck. But only at the GMC dealers that treated me with respect. GM also got quite a bit of correspondence from me regarding the treatment I recieved from their dealers both good and bad.

/ New Truck time #115  
...but my next truck will definitely have seamless phone, text and nav with voice commands. ...

If that's what you're after then I can't recommend the system in my 2012 F-350.
It won't do text messaging with my HTC Android phone. \
The NAV system is primative, there are $150 dashtop GPS units that do a better job or any smartphone except maybe Apple.
No where near as much voice command control as it could have.
In 1998 I put a Clarion Auto-PC 310C in my Hummer. The system ran Windows CE Automotive and was excellent.
It had built-in GPS and the voice command was full-featured, you could control everything in the system by voice.
They had cell phone interface units (docking stations) for a few phones (but not mine) and it could also connect to
your vehicle using the OBDII port. There were apps being developed by third parties you could purchase. The only
drawback to that system was the small screen. In 1998 is cost me ~$1700, the 6 CD jukebox was another $300 IIRC.
It had a CF card slot for data backup and it could be used to load software updates or programs.

There were games you could play completely by voice like Blackjack or Mobile Combat to name just two.
These games required no hand manipulation to operate, strickly controlled by voice. With an address book
and other features now found on smartphones (which didn't exist in 98) it was was ahead of its time as far
as automotive entertainment systems go.

AutoPC_7.gif

/ New Truck time #116  
GM also got quite a bit of correspondence from me regarding the treatment I recieved from their dealers both good and bad.

good for you. while the dealers are independent from the manufacturer the manufacturer can get the dealer's attention in all sorts of ways. if more people did this perhaps some of the dealers might get a clue. perhaps...

/ New Truck time
Heard ford my come out with a small diesel.

/ New Truck time #118  
Do yourself a favor dont buy a new truck. I always bought used trucks and built my own truck and i got a 2007 Chevy Lbz old style. With banks twins, egr delete, FASS lift pump, custom injectors, 5in turbo back exhaust, and EFI live V2 with DSP5. And i have 660 RwH with 893-lbs.
Your best truck is the truck you built yourself

/ New Truck time #119  
Just a thought but used trucks are too much money for what you get.

Unless it is a beater or you really are stuck with a budget and need more truck for less money, just get a new one.

/ New Truck time #120  
Do yourself a favor dont buy a new truck. I always bought used trucks and built my own truck and i got a 2007 Chevy Lbz old style. With banks twins, egr delete, FASS lift pump, custom injectors, 5in turbo back exhaust, and EFI live V2 with DSP5. And i have 660 RwH with 893-lbs.
Your best truck is the truck you built yourself

I agree with you Cat, if your truck is not your daily driver. Not that you would build an unreliable truck, but just that the inital phase of building and fine tuning will take some time. I my case I needed to either spend some serious money on my old truck or buy another right away. I had to get to work each day and get to my jobs, and sharing the wife's car wasn't going to work.

When shopping I considered used trucks, but the pricing was outrageous. Looking at used extended cab, gas, 4x4, 3/4 tons, I was looking at 4-5 year old trucks still in the mid to lower $20ks with 60k - 80k miles on them. I paid more, but got a brand new truck, no wear and tear, with 0 miles on it. I financed a good chunk of the cost, and got a great interest rate. Used rates were at least 2 points more. So I felt the return is good.

The exception is that on occasion, you can find a gem of a vehicle, for an exceptional price. But that never happens at the right time for me.