Newbie MIG machine recommendation

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #11  
I bought a used Lincoln Idealarc SP-150 back in 1990 and it has served me well on all kinds of car, tractor, trailer etc. projects.

It's obviously not a current model, but used ones are still available.
Totally trouble free Professional machine, bought used 30 years ago for hobby use.

It is excellent for welding thin sheet-metal and can do up to 3/8 inch in one pass.

Photo from online, my cables are not a mess like that:

Attachments

• Lincoln_Idealarc_SP-150.jpg
    Lincoln_Idealarc_SP-150.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 111
   / Newbie MIG machine recommendation #12  
Chim,
I need to sell the Stick to afford the Mig. I really do not weld very much now (retirement is looming...) but hope to have the time later. To prove to you how little I actually KNOW / WELD, I have zero idea what a knurled drive roller is ! :) Also, I am NOT aware (yet) of the polarity vs. wire. You could say I am like Sargent Schultz.... I know NOTHING. :)

J.
Might do a little lurking here....

The real difference in polarity is how the two different weld types respond to the arc shield... Look up FCAW (Flux Core Arc Weld) and GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Weld)...

Dale

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #13  
very happy with my Hobart handler 140. I got it when i did not have access to 240 volt, and i have been able to do everything i have wanted with it, even pushing the thickness quite a bit. if I pre heat 3/8 seems just fine with a good bevel and a couple passes. I have not had anything show signs of bad welds. rebuilt a JD 80 blade, replaced parts on my 10k trailer, fixed a loader bucket, multiple other similar projects

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #14  
Might do a little lurking here....

The real difference in polarity is how the two different weld types respond to the arc shield... Look up FCAW (Flux Core Arc Weld) and GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Weld)...

Dale
Yep, and when one has brain flatulence and forgets to swap polarity when going from solid to flux core, it puzzles him why all of a sudden the welds look awful.

Not that I ever did that:)

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #15  
Yep, and when one has brain flatulence and forgets to swap polarity when going from solid to flux core, it puzzles him why all of a sudden the welds look awful.

Not that I ever did that:)
That is why I don't ever move away for GMAW..... Yes I still have the half full demo roll of Flux Core that came with welder almost 8 years ago.... Only to be use in dire emergency....

Dale

Last edited:
   / Newbie MIG machine recommendation #16  
I run more flux core than solid because most of the time I'm working outdoors. GMAW only tolerates a certain amount of wind.

That's one of the real nice things about the Everlast stick machine I'm finally getting to spend more time with. Sure am looking forward to "burnin' some rod" this coming weekend!

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #17  
I run more flux core than solid because most of the time I'm working outdoors. GMAW only tolerates a certain amount of wind.

That's one of the real nice things about the Everlast stick machine I'm finally getting to spend more time with. Sure am looking forward to "burnin' some rod" this coming weekend!
Funny.... I gave up stick for MIG...

Dale

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #18  
I have the Miller 211. Smart settings, takes big spools, and runs on 120 or 240V. I have the gals using it to make home decoration stuff from steer rods. Couple of suggestions: Buy the gas bottle and don't even attempt to use flux wire. Doubtful strength and LOTS of splatter. Get a cart for it. I drag it everywhere.

/ Newbie MIG machine recommendation #20  
GMAW or what we normally call MIG. I do MIG, MIG and never ever do anything but mig with 035 wire. If its dirty I'll clean it until I can run mig. Funny that I spent X years in the RR and oil patch business doing stick. Did just a tad of flux-core back then, what a mess that is.... I'll setup box's or something to protect the MIG weld from wind while outdoors. Nothing but MIG here.