Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series?

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #1  

tallguy104

Bronze Member
Tractor
B2301
We've got about 3 acres of billy goat country (undulating and frequently steep).

My list of things which I need to get an excavator in for keeps growing and growing, to the point where I'm now thinking I might be better of just buying one, even if I end up selling it on again in a few years once we have the property mostly the way we like it.

The kind of work I want to do:
- create terraces down the hill side (by cutting and filling)
- maintain/improve our dirt and gravel driveway
- dig trenches

Budget is fairly constrained, so I'm considering the minis at the lighter end of the Kubota offerings (0.8-2.5 tonne).

First question is - are the lighter machines I've mentioned going to cut it? I've heard that you can do almost anything with a smaller excavator compared to a larger one, it just takes longer....which I'm okay with. Is this true though? Will the 0.8 tonne KX008-3 be able to get about my property ok (it's 20 degrees in many places), or are these smaller machines much more prone to tipping on slopes compared to larger models?

Do I want the KX or the U series? Is the KX going to have better stability of my slope land? I heard that the U series tend to be more tippy because they had to raise the centre of gravity in order to make them zero-swing. Is this true? If so it sounds like I definitely will want the KX since zero-swing isn't a priority for me. Is there any other reason to choose the U over the KX?

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #2  
If zero swing isnt going to be needed I would go with a KX as it will be more stable and probably capable. I didnt think I cared which one I would buy but I find myself working in tight areas and no tail swing is amazing.

I would think having something small might be difficult on the hills as it does not have the footprint to keep stable. I would go 2.5 ton if possible as it will be able to get more done and be more stable doing it.

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series?
Thanks GT I appreciate your input. Anyone else got any thoughts?

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #4  
One of the things to consider with a larger machine The bigger the machine you have any track you make with it needs to be wider than the machine. The amount of dirt you need to move to cut a track across a slope grows exceptionally with the width so if you only need a narrow track for Quad bike access a smaller machine might be quicker

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #5  
Get one with the blade so can level up .

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #6  
I'm currently considering mini-excavators, so take this for what it's worth from a "pre-newbie" who's tried a few but has little true experience.

Zero tail is useful in close quarters, but does reduce ability* and at least perceived stability versus a "normal-tail" excavator of the same weight class. So if you have wide open spaces, KX is probably better than U for you. BTW, stability is much aided by proper use of the blade when digging or lifting stuff.

"You can do everything with a smaller excavator, it just takes longer" is something you'll hear only from people who are digging in nice soil. It is emphatically not true if you're digging out or busting rocks, pushing over trees or carrying logs.

On the other hand, bigger excavators require bigger trailers and trucks to move around. I don't know the rules Down Under, but in many jurisdictions there's limits on the size of trailer you're allowed to pull on the road with a "normal" driver's license, and that may set a pretty hard max for the size of your miniex if moving it by road is at all relevant for you.

As @timbatrader said, I'd size heavily influenced by the width of the tracks/trails you'll want this thing to build and travel over. And the size of your wallet.

And I'd definitely get a blade and a hydraulic thumb, unless you're da%& sure you won't need them. They tremendously increase the utility of the machine.

*edited. I originally wrote "power" where I've now edited to say "ability". I didn't mean horsepower; rather your general abilities to dig, lift, and carry, which is determined as much by the geometry of the machine as by horsepower. Compare specs on bucket breakout force and max lifting weight (and at what distance).

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #7  
We've got about 3 acres of billy goat country (undulating and frequently steep).

My list of things which I need to get an excavator in for keeps growing and growing, to the point where I'm now thinking I might be better of just buying one, even if I end up selling it on again in a few years once we have the property mostly the way we like it.

The kind of work I want to do:
- create terraces down the hill side (by cutting and filling)
- maintain/improve our dirt and gravel driveway
- dig trenches

Budget is fairly constrained, so I'm considering the minis at the lighter end of the Kubota offerings (0.8-2.5 tonne).

First question is - are the lighter machines I've mentioned going to cut it? I've heard that you can do almost anything with a smaller excavator compared to a larger one, it just takes longer....which I'm okay with. Is this true though? Will the 0.8 tonne KX008-3 be able to get about my property ok (it's 20 degrees in many places), or are these smaller machines much more prone to tipping on slopes compared to larger models?

Do I want the KX or the U series? Is the KX going to have better stability of my slope land? I heard that the U series tend to be more tippy because they had to raise the centre of gravity in order to make them zero-swing. Is this true? If so it sounds like I definitely will want the KX since zero-swing isn't a priority for me. Is there any other reason to choose the U over the KX?
Well.... As a fellow Australian, who also has 3 acres much of which is crazy steep and who now owns a 1.8T excavator...

I bought a Kobelco/New Holland second hand. It's terrific! I haven't yet done much of the terracing I need to do, but have dug out 3 seriously large stumps (with the single point ripper). The largest stump probably weighed 1.5tonne with the clay attached. Getting it out took some time! I've chipped out the clay now, and can just lift it close in, so it's probably around the 600kg mark. About as big as I think this sized machine can handle. Just.

The thing I least like about the smaller machines is the track width. So they are intrinsically a bit tippy. Mine is 1350mm wide. I try to have the blade downhill on slopes! The good thing about the smaller machine though is the track width :) I can get through tight places!

If your ground has rocks though.... you might struggle a bit. Digging the big tree out i hit large quartz lumps (450x450x450 type lumps). These were impossible to "lever out" with the ripper. They just tipped the excavator. Couldn't win against those till I had scratched around them to free them from the clay. Lucky for me the ripper is excellent at scratching!

I'll pass on a couple of improvements you can make to your machine though. Buy a couple of mechanical inclinometers to put up on the canopy! Makes it easy to blade down to level, then you can cut a level pad to work from. The second is a reversing camera, so you can check at all times that 4yo grandsons aren't lurking behind you.....

Cheers
/Kevin

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #8  
When it comes to trenching or digging yes small machines can pretty much do what big ones can....just slower.

But small ones lack reach and strength. Your excavation efforts may be halted with a little machine and a rock too big. A bigger machine might not struggle.

Reach....like clearing a pond bank or mucking a ditch with a smooth bucket......smaller might be useless

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #9  
For future additions of attachments hydraulic flow to the auxillary may be something to think about. I know a 6k 26g is the smallest that can on the John Deere side that will handle a small flail or rotary cutter. Also 25 hp and less has no regen.

/ Newbie mini ex questions, and Kubota KX vs U series? #10  
Thanks GT I appreciate your input. Anyone else got any thoughts?
Cutting terraces could be pretty major work depending on the soil type. Those smaller excavators aren’t often built to take that sort of abuse.