Buying Advice Newbie Questons

/ Newbie Questons #1  

PTBill

Tractor
none
Looking strongly at buying a PT-425 and had some questions. Never owned a tractor. Will be used to landscape and mow my 5 acres.

1) Power Trac Website seems to be down a lot - almost all the time. Makes me wonder about support. How is customer service?
2) Have 22 degree slopes that I have to side hill. Current Cub Cadet 54" zero turn can handle it. Can a PT-425 mow a 22 degree side hill?
3) Tiller - do you have to till backwards or forward or either? Can you change which direction the tines turn?
4) Aerator - have hard clay. Can you use it backwards and forward? Some members seem to like it some not. How big a plug can it pull?
5) In general are the attachments more or less expensive than Kubota BX's? How is the quality of the attachments being they are single sourced?
6) For members with older PT's - any trouble getting parts?
7) Does Power Trac negotiate on price?
8) Anyone near Charlotte with a PT-425?

Looks like a great capable different looking machine.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bill

/ Newbie Questons #2  
1) Might be your internet. I don't go there a lot but have never had an issue accessing... This said, PT is about as computer illiterate as they get. They do not answer emails. This said, customer service is the best in the business. As they do not have repair centers, everything is handled through the factory. You get instant and generally correct answers immediatly. We all have a personal relationship with the head honcho, Terry.

2) It should. I don't own one but someone will chime in

5) In my opinion, more expensive - 2 things. first is that the implements are hydraulic and tend to be more expensive than mechanically driven. Second, you can easily adapt other tractors equipment to the PT. many of us buy used implements and modify them to fit. If / When you buy the PT, try to buy all your implements then. Afterward it becomes pricey to ship (although you sound close to the factory).

Hugely capable machine. Everyone loves their machine (everyone hates it as well but that is another story). They are so much more versatile than a normal tractor. Only real downside is that they are not great at ground engagement (plowing).

/ Newbie Questons #3  
Regarding slopes, the engine specs for the new Subaru-Robin powered 425s says the engine lubrication system is rated for up to 20 degree slopes. The older Kohler Command powered models were rated for up to 25 degree slopes.

I regularly mow slopes between 25-30 degrees with my old (2001) Kohler powered PT-425, but I mow the steep areas going up and down, not sideways. The machine will "crab" going around side slopes of 20 degrees. (Power Trac slope mowers come with dual wheels all around to help minimize crabbing.) I've also upgraded to larger displacement wheel motors (more torque, less speed) to climb the steep slopes.

As far as the cost of attachments - it depends on the attachment. PTs come with a loader built in - the 800 lb lift capacity far exceeds the Kubota BX series, BTW. The only additional cost is your choice of bucket, which are competitively priced. So, compare PT-425 price with a bucket of you choice to a BX with a loader. For occasional digging (up to 4 feet) the PT minihoe is a bargain, in comparison to the BX backhoe at a small fraction of the price - though it is not as capable as a real backhoe such as the one for the BX.

The PT, being an articulated loader/tool carrier by design, comes with "power beyond" built in, so the cost of adding a hydraulically actuated front attachment such as the power-angle snow/dirt blade is often much less than for traditional tractors. The attachment itself is competitively priced.

Because the PTO on a PowerTrac is hydraulic, it is only the PTO-powered implements that are more expensive, since each must have its own hydraulic motor and hoses. Examples include mower decks, tiller, stump grinder, post-hole digger, etc. Even then, they are typically not that much more expensive than for traditional tractors, and far less expensive than those for skidsteers, mini-skids like the Toro Dingo, etc. The PT attachments are typically not as heavy duty, however, and more like "prosumer" grade, rather than HD commercial grade.

Biggest issue that really impacts price is that the PT attachments use their proprietary hydraulic quick attach system, so finding used PT attachments is more difficult and they're often higher priced, accordingly. Many of us simply modify used tractor attachments by welding on a PT QA plate. I personally have 3 - a landscape rake, boxblade, and tiller.

With all that said, there is simply no comparison to a traditional tractor when it comes to maneuverability (especially in close quarters), versatility (ability to change attachments in seconds means you use more attachments, each better suited to the specific task, rather than trying to do more things with the attachment currently mounted), visibility (having the attachment up front in your line of sight is something you have to experience to fully appreciate) and the resulting amount of time it takes to get the job done. A PT will often accomplish the same landscaping job in half the time as a traditional tractor...

I sold a little Kubota with loader and replaced it with my PT-425, and have never regretted that move. The PT is far more slope-capable and far faster to get the job done...

Hope this LONG answer is helpful...

/ Newbie Questons #4  
BTW, the fact your name says PTBill means you bought the thing already so why the questions ;-)

/ Newbie Questons #5  
3) Tiller - do you have to till backwards or forward or either? Can you change which direction the tines turn?

Most all hyd motor attachments can be turn backwards by switching hoses around.

However, do your tines have cutting edges both sides.

If so, then you can reverse cut/till

/ Newbie Questons
Thanks everyone for all the answers. Looking more at the PT Videos I have more questions.

1) Compared to a SCUT with the same turning radius - does having the mower out in front on the PT-425 make the inside turning radius much greater than the 37" spec?
2) Most of the weight on the PT looks like it is in the rear - when the FEL is picking up a heavy load does the PT oscillate 12 degrees in the middle with all the weight in the front?
I guess I'm asking does it buckle in the middle?
3) Is there a reason a SCUT can't have the same attachments in the front like the PT?

Thanks much,
Bill

/ Newbie Questons #7  
I was looking at the PT 245 on You Tube. That BH is a joke. As far as the FEL I didn't see any videos showing the 245, only the 180 and that looked like a toy. And the only mowing video I saw was a front mount brush hog; that looked capable.

I guess I'm questioning why not a BX or a Kioti CS2410 or JD or such SCUT? I guess cost is the factor? IDK the cost of a PT.

Not trying to rain on your parade but when I bought my CUT people said go big enough. I could've managed with a BX or CS or such but glad I went one step up.

Whatever your decision, I wish you good luck.

/ Newbie Questons #8  
Thanks everyone for all the answers. Looking more at the PT Videos I have more questions.

1) Compared to a SCUT with the same turning radius - does having the mower out in front on the PT-425 make the inside turning radius much greater than the 37" spec?
2) Most of the weight on the PT looks like it is in the rear - when the FEL is picking up a heavy load does the PT oscillate 12 degrees in the middle with all the weight in the front?
I guess I'm asking does it buckle in the middle?
3) Is there a reason a SCUT can't have the same attachments in the front like the PT?

Thanks much,
Bill

1. The mower out front performs very similar to a 3-pt mounted mower, in relation to the impart of turning radius - it swings in relation to the nearest set of wheels. A belly mower, being between the wheels, follows the turning more closely. With that said, the 60" finish mower for the PT425 is so much wider than the 45" wheel track that the effective mowing radius is much less than 37". The smaller 48" brush cutter's mowing radius is likely larger than 37", but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

2. It does't buckle - it twists in the center up to 12 degrees to keep all FOUR wheels firmly on the ground and the weight as evenly distributed as possible. This is far more stable than a SCUT with a heavy load in the bucket. The weight of the tractor is evenly distrributed, and the only variables are the load you're liftng, and the slope/angle the front wheels are resting on. Note that the PT's hydraulics are actually much stronger than its rated lift capacity. The phenomenon called "PT pucker" where the back wheels come off the ground is quite common, and disconcerting the first time it happens. Once accustomed to it, you don't think twice, and simply adjust or correct as needed., and press on.

3. There are few CUTS (and no SCUTS I'm aware of) that have a mechanical front PTO, and their hydraulic system doesn't have the flow required for hydraulically driven front attachments such as mowers, tillers, etc. Even with loader or power beyond circuits, their hydraulic flow is only sufficient for intermittently operating hydraulic cylinders - not continuously operating hydraulic motors. Most the small tractors I've seen with mechanical front PTOs are very expensive European imports.

/ Newbie Questons #9  
Welcome to TBN, by the way... :thumbsup:

7) Does Power Trac negotiate on price?

I don't think so. Maybe for fleet sales! :laughing:

As for the out front mower... I have a 60" for my PT425. It sticks out about 7-8" wider on each side than the drive wheels do. So its gonna cut a tighter diameter circle than the tractor wheels make, almost a foot narrower. However, you'll find out that only the front wheels on the mower deck caster. The rears are fixed in a straight direction, so in really tight turns on soft lawns, the rear mower deck wheels will tear the grass if you're not paying attention. I intentionally make sweeping turns in my mowing pattern after heavy rains or in irrigated lawns because of this. If I have to turn tight in those situations, I just pull back the joystick a tad to take a bit of pressure off the deck and slap it back forward after the turn is complete.

I like the front mounted deck for several reasons. Most importantly, you can see it at all times. You can stuff it under low hanging branches and bushes. You can mow an inside corner and only leave maybe a 9" triangle not cut in the very corner. You can't do that with other types of mowers.

Cons of the front mounted mower are its rear discharge. If you want to bag clippings or leaves, you can't. You can tow a lawn sweeper behind if you like, but with a 60" wide deck and a 48" wide sweeper, you're going to miss the windrow that tends to build up on the right side. You can offset the sweeper to grab the majority, though. I don't bag grass clippings so its no big deal for me. I do pick up leaves however, and I need a better solution.

/ Newbie Questons #10  
I was looking at the PT 245 on You Tube. That BH is a joke. As far as the FEL I didn't see any videos showing the 245, only the 180 and that looked like a toy. And the only mowing video I saw was a front mount brush hog; that looked capable.

I guess I'm questioning why not a BX or a Kioti CS2410 or JD or such SCUT? I guess cost is the factor? IDK the cost of a PT.

Not trying to rain on your parade but when I bought my CUT people said go big enough. I could've managed with a BX or CS or such but glad I went one step up.

Whatever your decision, I wish you good luck.

Not sure i would agree with the 2445 backhoe being a joke. When you consider something in the formfactor of a BX or CS in the 2400 level I think the PT will run circles around it.

Bunch of reasons to go with a PT over a Cut or Scut. Manueverability, ease of attachments, ease of getting on and off the tractor, stability, buying american made. Downside is ground engagement and no local factory service. PT does not plow worth a hoot, and is only sold via the factory in Tennessee. Outside of that the PT is a pretty fantastic machine.