Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #21  
That's yesteryear. The new electric Fords will tow a 1.3 million-pound train.
It's true, I seen the commercial.
And the Ecoboost has more bottom end than my 6.7L Cummins.
Probably pull me backwards in a tug of war....

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for
Those flat deck look nice from PJ Trailer. I am not sure if I'm better off getting the right trailer now for as many needs as possible or getting one for my immediate need. One of the projects I have is collecting pallets to reclaim the wood for redoing the inside of my garage/barn. If I make a trip out and there are 20 pallets, I'd like to grab as many as I can in one trip so this project doesnt' take forever. A 20' flat deck may be a touch overkill in that scenario. My other immediate need is to haul walk behind tiller, and smaller mowers as I help my mother move. Some furniture, grills, smaller stuff at first. If I were to buy a 20' trailer, it would be one that I know will haul any of my heavier equipment, cars, tractor with implements etc. I think my budget is around 2K max. I may not be ready for towing all the other stuff especially at the current prices. It would have been nice to be able to take the tractor to my mom's house and make light work of a few jobs.

Are there any better brands of utility trailers out there that tend to be known high quality or if they are known to be garbage and should be avoided.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #23  
Be careful hauling pallets. They are heavy. You will see the guys that collect pallets for resale and their trucks are often over loaded.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #25  
With a budget of 2k you will be looking at something smaller, probably single axle.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #26  
That is a NICE trailer! I have 2 Lamar equipment trailers. They both are well built!
Thanks. Thats's my new set of sideboards. Pretty spiffy. I had the 10' 2x12's in the barn. Needed a 12footer for the 6' pieces on the ends. Almost fell over at the lumber yard. $47 smackers.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #27  
I can only give opinions of my experiences with quality control over the last two years.

My Diamond C trailer was a great concept but quality control in construction was terrible. Feedback was that they’re hand built. In a year and a half I just had to get rid of it before another lemon dropped.

Trailer two. I ordered an H&H Speedloader last November. Finally am driving back to Iowa to pick it up next week. I’ve got an H&H 16’ car hauler bought back in 2008 used. Wonderful quality of build. Last year I rented an older Speedloader and loved it. Quality control at its best. 14k 22’.

I ordered a 16k 26’ Speedloader. Relative picked it up for me and took pics. It looks like it was fabricated in someone’s garage without jigs, used a 20 year old stick welder and paint prep as bad as you can imagine.

More details to follow in a separate thread.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #28  
I would look for something like this. I believe (but am not positive) that in your state there is some legal reason you want to keep your trailer GVWR 9999lbs or below. I would get the 20’. You could haul your mower and RTV at the same time. Most people that buy small trailers wind up buying a bigger one later. You could haul a vehicle on one of these, most any compact tractor, long building materials, long gates, fence panels, etc.

View attachment 700003
Many states have weight limits to keep the operator under commercial licensing requirements. Typically this is total weight including towing vehicle, trailer, and total load (including everything in the tow vehicle and towed trailer). Pros and cons to this process from the individual, but short term it is the law if your state had it in place. You need to know the laws as they apply to you in what every state you may be pulling a trailer.
Also learn what is required for securing your load! Your total weight not your license rated weight will be a big factor on what rules you are judged by during a traffic stop. In an accident, following DOT guidelines is your best protection.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #29  
Many states have weight limits to keep the operator under commercial licensing requirements. Typically this is total weight including towing vehicle, trailer, and total load (including everything in the tow vehicle and towed trailer). Pros and cons to this process from the individual, but short term it is the law if your state had it in place. You need to know the laws as they apply to you in what every state you may be pulling a trailer.
Also learn what is required for securing your load! Your total weight not your license rated weight will be a big factor on what rules you are judged by during a traffic stop. In an accident, following DOT guidelines is your best protection.
This post is worth reading twice. I have a 14k tilt Ezloader Doolittle equipment trailer trailer. I tow it with my tractor loaded and I am usually very close to the GCVR. Often, I stop by a Cat scale to make sure I am not over GVWR. I am not concerned about being stopped and caught. HOWEVER, I would really be concerned if involved in an accident and got a ticket for overweight. I doubt if the insurance would pay at that point.
Things you may want to consider on a new trailer:

A Setback Jack - Not placed at the Y just behind the coupler. It is back 3 or 4' mounted on the trailer frame. Can get with top crank or side crank.

LED Lighting - Or, you can add led markers and tail lights like Optronics Glow lights.

EZ Lube Axles - grease bearings without removing tires.

If you get tandem (7K or 14K), some states require brakes on all four, not just 2 wheels. Missouri requires all four.

Hinged ramps or removable slide under ramps.

Height adjustable coupler or welded on frame coupler.

A tilt bed trailer is handy, but it can double the weight of the trailer and can cost almost twice as much. My 14K is well built but is essentially two frames and weighs 3700 pounds. Grately increases you vehicle tow weight load.

Good luck Larry

Last edited:
   / Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #30  
I have two trailers; one is a 5x8 1500 lb rated single axle. The other is a 7000lb rated twin axle 18 footer and what I’ve learned is that the bigger the trailer the bigger the pain in the ass. More tires to maintain/buy, more bearing, harder to park, hard to move, more ware on the tow vehicle, more gas towing empty, can’t make it through the drive through , harder to store, takes more paint and metal to repair, more lights needed. My 5x8 is affectionately called “my little buddy”. I usually move the trailer to the truck, rather than the truck to the trailer and easy on and off. Not sure I’m on board with the thinking buy the biggest trailer you can. I personally like the smallest trailer that will safely do the job. Just some of my thoughts on the subject.