Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #11  
Does look good

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil
   / Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #14  
I would use a 15-40 oil, my preference would be a synthetic.
But on a new to me old tractor I would be likely to do a couple of short hour oil and filter changes,
in case the engine is a bit gunked up.
This is the guidance I would follow exactly, I would probably use traditional for the short hour changes (the cheapest 15 40 diesel oil I could buy) then t6 or whatever you like for the long run.

Best,

ed

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil
   / Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #16  
Oil specs in the '60's were ML,MM,&MS.
Motor Light,Medium,& Severe.
I think?

Awesome —- THANK YOU!!!!!

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #19  
15W-40 HDEO year round for your location. Ok for cold starts and hot weather use. Better oil capability then the engine was ever designed to. Lowest cost and likely available.

How many hours will you use the tractor per year? If under 100 hours just change oil one time per year and do not add hour meter. If adding hour meter keep that original Tach with the Eagle and use aftermarket only hour meter.

15W-40 HDEO year round for your location. Ok for cold starts and hot weather use. Better oil capability then the engine was ever designed to. Lowest cost and likely available.

How many hours will you use the tractor per year? If under 100 hours just change oil one time per year and do not add hour meter. If adding hour meter keep that original Tach with the Eagle and use aftermarket only hour meter.
I have zero —- ZERO —- intention of touching that original tach!

any hour meter would be on its own bracket, under the hood.

I had been guessing at good ol’ Rotella. . . But really was looking for contrarian viewpoints, just to expand my learning.