NH TC33DA Starter Problem

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem
No they didnt mess anything up. It's just a complex system of mechanical switches. Mechanical switches in a dirty environment can and will fail. When theh fail they typicaly fail to the safest position, in this case it's the tractor not starting. That's better than the safety switch failing in the other direction or the tractor starting when it shouldnt.
Thank you nyone for your perspective on my recent comment. If I had not retired as an OEM service representative for another company, I would probably agree with you. Based on my own experience, I can tell you that design engineers generally do not work in the field. Sales asks research and development to come up with a design that will meet a certain customer need. R&D engineers meet with manufacturing representatives and a product is produced using parts that may, or may not, meet a required criteria for satisfactory results in the field. The product is usually tested under some kind of specified conditions for a limited time, but not always. Products do go out occasionally that are not tested under actual field conditions, and engineers wait for consumer feedback to see if the product works as designed. If a product does fail to live up to expectations, some modification or revision is made available to correct the problem. Quite often the cause of the problem is faulty design or inadequate components for the task at hand. Manufacturing has input about what components are adequate and at what cost. This is all part of the "cost of doing business." Tractors by their very nature are exposed to hostile environments, and to say that the cause of a component failure is because of a known environment is probably not accurate. Apparently, the relay issue was recognized by New Holland due to customer complaints, and a design modification was made available. I therefore submit that New Holland "messed up," or they would have required replacement of all interlock relays in a timely manner because of anticipated failure like they do oil and filters. Service/Technical bulletins are provided to address such issues, but often ignored because service personnel usually don't read these bulletins because a particular problem may seldom be, if ever, seen on the products they service. I am not assigning blame. It's just the way things are. This, of course, is just my opinion based on my own experience, I am sure others will want to weigh in with differing opinions, and I don't mind discussion, but I have other things to do so I am leaving this thread. Please continue to discuss this among yourselves if you wish. I appreciate all the comments that have led to a diagnosis of my starter problem. Best wishes to everyone.

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #22  
Intermittently, the starter would not engage when the key was turned. the starter relay clicked but the starter motor would not engage. After repeated attempts, the engine started. Weeks might go by before it happened again. I have seen this before on other starters when there is a "dead" spot on the armature (Tractor had less than 1000 hrs.). Replaced the starter and had no problem for a couple of years. Now it has started again (very annoying). It doesn't happen often, but it can be very aggravating (new starter has less than 250 hrs. on it). It could be a "bad contact" somewhere, but I seriously doubt it. It might by the starter bendix. but the bendix may be in the starter. I don't remember Anyone have any thoughts?
The thing to check, when it is acting up, is see what voltage you are getting at the starter solenoid post on the starter when you turn the key... anything less then 12V is an issue.

/ NH TC33DA Starter Problem #23  
Thank you nyone for your perspective on my recent comment. If I had not retired as an OEM service representative for another company, I would probably agree with you. Based on my own experience, I can tell you that design engineers generally do not work in the field. Sales asks research and development to come up with a design that will meet a certain customer need. R&D engineers meet with manufacturing representatives and a product is produced using parts that may, or may not, meet a required criteria for satisfactory results in the field. The product is usually tested under some kind of specified conditions for a limited time, but not always. Products do go out occasionally that are not tested under actual field conditions, and engineers wait for consumer feedback to see if the product works as designed. If a product does fail to live up to expectations, some modification or revision is made available to correct the problem. Quite often the cause of the problem is faulty design or inadequate components for the task at hand. Manufacturing has input about what components are adequate and at what cost. This is all part of the "cost of doing business." Tractors by their very nature are exposed to hostile environments, and to say that the cause of a component failure is because of a known environment is probably not accurate. Apparently, the relay issue was recognized by New Holland due to customer complaints, and a design modification was made available. I therefore submit that New Holland "messed up," or they would have required replacement of all interlock relays in a timely manner because of anticipated failure like they do oil and filters. Service/Technical bulletins are provided to address such issues, but often ignored because service personnel usually don't read these bulletins because a particular problem may seldom be, if ever, seen on the products they service. I am not assigning blame. It's just the way things are. This, of course, is just my opinion based on my own experience, I am sure others will want to weigh in with differing opinions, and I don't mind discussion, but I have other things to do so I am leaving this thread. Please continue to discuss this among yourselves if you wish. I appreciate all the comments that have led to a diagnosis of my starter problem. Best wishes to everyone.
I agree that engineers don’t necessarily have to see the fruits of their labor after it has been in the field, nor do they have to disassemble their works of art. The safety switch mandates are different for every series and size of tractor. The smaller the tractor, ie: lawn tractor, the more safety lockouts necessary. Whether the circuits and components are designed well or not, the number and function can drive a person crazy.