Nice looking courthouse

/ Nice looking courthouse #11  
Hmm, pic links now work.

The one in Georgia I thought enough of to take a picture of...

View attachment 654369

My county courthouse...

View attachment 654371

I'll be in Tennesse tomorrow. Ironcially their courthouse looks a little like my county's courthouse, but with bricks and some larger windows.

Perhaps architects in both South Carolina and Georgia both missed the day that building proportions were discussed in architecture class.

/ Nice looking courthouse #12  
I guess if you are on the wrong side of the law, no courthouse is attractive.

/ Nice looking courthouse #13  
Here's a link to the picture I was trying to post; this is a Texas Court House, where, incidentally, we got our marriage license many moons ago. It doesn't look much like the other court house. Texas is Southern, right?

Upshur county courthouse - Google Search

Good old Upshur County. I once testified there as a rebuttal witness for the defense in a criminal trial involving a fatal car/ pedestrian accident.

/ Nice looking courthouse #14  
Check this Google search for GA courthouses.

county courthouses Georgia - Google Search

Screenshot_20200508-071101_Opera.jpgScreenshot_20200508-071126_Opera.jpg

/ Nice looking courthouse #15  
Good old Upshur County. I once testified there as a rebuttal witness for the defense in a criminal trial involving a fatal car/ pedestrian accident.

Sharn Jean has a lot of kin there; I love the country (except maybe in August). It's grown a lot in the last 50 years, and what used to be a quiet little town is now feeling the hustle, bustle and traffic of urban America.

/ Nice looking courthouse #16  
Hmm, pic links now work.

The one in Georgia I thought enough of to take a picture of...

View attachment 654369

My county courthouse...

View attachment 654371

I'll be in Tennesse tomorrow. Ironcially their courthouse looks a little like my county's courthouse, but with bricks and some larger windows.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that a lot of the early public buildings were built, if they could afford it, a bit on the elaborate side, one...to be imposing as a government building, and two...because it was expected to last indefinitely. I would say a good example is the Masonic Temple in Guthrie, originally intended to house the state legislature. I have toured this building, and it is very impressive.

Scottish Rite Temple – Guthrie, Oklahoma
- Atlas Obscura

/ Nice looking courthouse

The reality is Georgia isn't the only state in the US that is considered "southern". I believe your first comment to my original picture was basically "they all look that way in the south".

An interesting read...

https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/roberts_benjamin_a_201008_mhp.pdf

The Watuaga NC county courthouse on my drive back from Tenn.

WCH.png

Please note, I had to wait for what I call the "Lake Placid u turn" by the Jeep that gave me time to take the picture LOL

/ Nice looking courthouse #18  
For anyone interested in antebellum architecture...do a google image search for 'Madison GA'...It was one of the few towns that Sherman did not burn on his march to the coast...it was spared for political reasons...

/ Nice looking courthouse #19  
Port Gibson Mississippi was spared by Grant because he said it was 'too beautiful to burn". Located on the Natchez Trace Parkway Port Gibson is a beautiful town with very nice people and a great historic setting.

After giving up on entering Vicksburg from the river Union forces went south and the Battle of Port Gibson provided the opening to landfall and ultimately the fall of Vicksburg.

It's also the county seat of Claiborne County and has a beautiful courthouse.

Port Gibson, Mississippi - Wikipedia