Nifty trailer step

/ Nifty trailer step #1  

hslogger

Platinum Member
Tractor
currently l4400 stick
This was a "been gonna" project for a while. I made a mock up out of wood and screws.
I went to the scrap yard and bought the aluminum I wanted.
I cut it all to size, took it to a job shop and had it stuck together for 45 bucks.
The side pocke insert piece is solid, so is the outer lowering piece. Doesn't have to be but it is what I could find to fit just right.
The space between both sides of the pocket doesn't have to be too snug.
I remove it when I am on the road.

When I am on and off the trailer, the jump from the deck is more than I want to do consistantly.
The plumbing insulation on the sides is handy when I have it sitting in the barn and I don't knock my shins when squeaking by.
I do use Gorilla tape to hold the insulation on, but removed it for sharing the photos.

If you wanted to, you could make the outer piece out of a couple pieces of rectangular tubing, drill holes and make it adjustable.
IMG_2026.jpeg
IMG_2027.jpeg

/ Nifty trailer step #2  
Very nice. I think I might knock one together for my PJ hydraulic dovetail trailer out of steel and wood since that is what I have "in stock". I think I'll also add an upright piece to serve as a handhold.

/ Nifty trailer step #3  
A few strips of 'non-slip' grit tape on the platform would be a good idea.

It can be purchased at a hardware store.

/ Nifty trailer step #5  
Good job. Very helpful. Some sort of vertical pole to hold on to as you go up/down.

I have a bumper step on the Taco Wagon. Not so very helpful. Folded out - it's too close to the bumper. Up you go - OUCH - another knock on your shins.

IMG_0002.jpeg

/ Nifty trailer step #6  
Good idea. Lots of accidents getting on/off trailers or walking on ramps. Some anti slip tape would be good.

/ Nifty trailer step #7  
(y)

/ Nifty trailer step
Good job. Very helpful. Some sort of vertical pole to hold on to as you go up/down.

I have a bumper step on the Taco Wagon. Not so very helpful. Folded out - it's too close to the bumper. Up you go - OUCH - another knock on your shins.

View attachment 722225
I have the same AmpStep on my Tundra long bed. I wouldn't be with out it. My veterinarian has a couple AmpSteps on either side of the front of his Tundra Supercab and likes them opposed to running boards.

/ Nifty trailer step #9  
nice step. i made a similar one out of steel for a friend for his F450 work truck. it slips into the receiver. he doesnt leave it on, as its a shin biter. its hard to see from this pic, i thought i took a pic of it installed...silly me.
step.jpg