No Drive to front wheels

/ No Drive to front wheels #11  
Yes, that was the repair bill but there were unusual circumstances. On my unit it was the rear axle and it was so badly damaged that it would not come out. They had to 'torch' it out in peices which really ran up the labor portion of the bill. That plus paying for over night freight, etc. to get me back up and ruinning as quickly as possible.

/ No Drive to front wheels
We haven't pulled the axle out yet. But its a pretty clean break so we are hoping it will slide out without to much trouble

/ No Drive to front wheels #13  
Thanks that parts breakdown helped a lot.

I think I'm going to leave the hyd lines hooked up the motor. Checking statically for connection then put some power to it to see if it spins.

Talked to bobcat tech today to find out if in fact the axels are similar. He said, in general yes.

So if the front axles should be connected internally the same way the back axles are

The fact that you can spin the front wheels independently of each other tells me its probably not the motor, but we will check it just so be sure.

Then I guess we start taking it apart.

I suspect parts breakdown has some parts mislabeled. It lists item 5 p/n 6682083 as a gear and item 4 p/n 6682082 as a axle.

It just appears by the breakdown those two are backwards. So if there is any way for you to check. That would really help.

Anybody ever taken an axle apart on toolcat?

#6682083 is Axle & 662082 is gear.

Well the old shaft came out really easy. The upper an lower hub housing caps/bearings were a bugger. Forget trying to salvage any shims they are PAPER and cost $2.00 a piece. Its not likely you can get the caps off without tearing up the shims anyway.

Just make sure you count how many you have and where they are.

There is also a felt wiper ring on the bottom you should replace. Its cheap and helps keep crap out of the lower bearing race.

It went together pretty easy. But when it was all mounted and running we got some codes that we didn't have before.

These are all 50 series codes. 13 front spd sensor, 14 rear spd sensor 15, is not in my book and 30 which is low power to speed sensors.

We also have no power to the wheel alignment circuit, or no lights.

Never had any codes before we R & Red the axel. And theres no reason the rear spd should have any codes.

The spd senors and the alignment circuit share a common power source. But for right now, the numbers are so small in my book I can't read the wire numbers and connector locations even with a magnifying glass.

Here is the parts illustration for the A,B & C series axle. Hope it helps.
One way to make sure it is not the drive motor is take the motor off the rear axle put it on front and see if the front starts truning, before tearing axle apart.

Doxie any chance of getting a pdf of pages 389 - 391 from the maintenance manual?

I have a copy but apparently some of the numbers were to small for the printer to print so they don't even look like numbers.

I'f chased down the common power wire that the spd sensors and the wheel alignment system use. And I'm trying to follow that back to the source to see where the problem is. But just can't read the connector numbers or the wire numbers.

Any help would be great Thx

Last edited:
   / No Drive to front wheels #16  
Doxie any chance of getting a pdf of pages 389 - 391 from the maintenance manual?

I have a copy but apparently some of the numbers were to small for the printer to print so they don't even look like numbers.

I'f chased down the common power wire that the spd sensors and the wheel alignment system use. And I'm trying to follow that back to the source to see where the problem is. But just can't read the connector numbers or the wire numbers.

Any help would be great Thx

What is the first 4 numbers/letters of your serial number? Just to make sure I locate the correct page information.

Thx

Do you have any documentation on the computer?

It looked like the schematic showed there was a common power wire for the wheel alignment and wheel sensor power but I couldn't see where it went past a multi-pin connector. Which I'm guessing is the computer

Thx again

/ No Drive to front wheels #18  
pegs11,
Attached is the wire schematics. You are correct wheel speed and position sensors are fed by same supply, 5 volt from the controller. You could test for 5 volts at controller pin #30 wire #1530.
I didn't go back to look to see which axle you had to replace but was there a wheel position sensor on that hub? I'm not positive on this but I think it is possible to put those sensors in 180 degrees out and if so, it might be so far out of range causing all the voltage in the circuit is dumped through that sensor the rest would not be able to send strong enough signal back to controller. If there was a sensor in the top bearing cap on that hub take it out and ty turning the pin 180.

More thinking as I go here than true diagnostics but trying to find some common ground with having these codes after the repair and no history of it prior.
The 50-15 code was added later. It is just to confirm more than 1 sensor with same code error.

Attachments

• toolcat 5600 B series wire schematic.pdf
    756.4 KB · Views: 296
The wheel sensor was on the opposite hub. The only thing we did was to disconnect the harness inside the hydraulic ram tunnel.

There was one other thing we did that I will check and that was to reattach the wiring sheathing for the position sensor wiring with a hose clamp.

There was about 3" of millivolt/light wiring exposed so we slid the sheathing over it and held it in place with a hose clamp to protect the wiring.

I think I'll check for power on the #30 pin like you suggested. That will tell us a lot.

Since I'm really expecting there to be no power at that pin. What then? Is it possible it got shorted out some how? Is there a fuse or something that can be reset or replaced? Seems odd that wiring circuit wouldn't have some kind of short/overload protection.

Thanks for the pdf. I could see right away that was pin 30 and not 80 LOL.

/ No Drive to front wheels #20  
Make sure the pins got lined up and pushed together tight were unplugged it. One of the 5 volt wires may have pushed back in the plug when you reconnected it.
Circuit protection for the 5 volt is internal in the controller.