No steering joint boot available.

/ No steering joint boot available. #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
I have a boot cracked wide open on one of the inner ball joints on my BX2380. I can find the part in Kubota's diagrams but guess what? Instead of being able to replace a $10 boot, the best that can be done is a complete ball joint replacement. Other than that it's replace the entire tie rod.
Not a very practical solution in my opinion but there's really no other choice. Either buy the $34 part now or just use the tractor until the joint goes bad from dirt, water, etc. intrusion and then replace it. Kind of leaning toward that. The tractor doesn't get any severe duty use.
I contacted Messick via their website today thinking that I'd hear back from them in a day or two because of the holiday. A half hour later I had a reply from Jared in Parts. They didn't have one in stock but he gave me the part number and a pretty lengthy list of dealers that showed the part in stock on the computer. Very class act.

IMG_1550.JPG

Last edited:
   / No steering joint boot available. #3  
I can find the steering joint boot in Kubota's diagrams but.......

Many parts are out of stock due to supply train disruptions.

This replacement part may be available in 60 to 90 days.

Have you tried an unlimited Google search for the part?

Have you called Kubota dealers within 50 miles of your property?

/ No steering joint boot available. #4  
The tube idea works. [bicycle tube?] A simple wrap of duct tape may also work.

/ No steering joint boot available.
I can find the steering joint boot in Kubota's diagrams but.......

Many parts are out of stock due to supply train disruptions.

This replacement part may be available in 60 to 90 days.

Have you tried an unlimited Google search for the part?

Have you called Kubota dealers within 50 miles of your property?

Yes, it's in the diagram but the part number shown corresponds with the whole tie rod, which is $50 plus. Messick's parts man came up with the inner ball joint suggestion to save a few bucks.
The list he sent me showed several dealers that had the part in stock. Closest one is about 65 miles away. I haven't used Google in a few years. I switched to DuckDuckGo. But that's another conversation.

The tube idea works. [bicycle tube?] A simple wrap of duct tape may also work.

Along those lines, I have some flashing tape used around new window and door installations that may be better yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

/ No steering joint boot available. #7  
Smear silicone on it and run it till the joint needs replacing.

/ No steering joint boot available. #8  
I ran into the same problem with my John Deere tie rod boots, but at higher costs. I spent some time looking for boots from 3rd party suppliers and didn't find anything. Also ran into a problem getting the nuts off the tie rods. Bottom line, I ended up cutting up a bicycle inner tube and wrapping that around the rod and holding it in place with zip ties.

Attachments

• 61584344935__F6D26B04-284F-4875-B461-A9409FC14E9A.jpg
    61584344935__F6D26B04-284F-4875-B461-A9409FC14E9A.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 156
Smear silicone on it and run it till the joint needs replacing.
I may clean it up and try something like that. I'm in the seamless gutter business and I have something much better than silicone.
The inner tube idea is good too. It's just that I don't have any laying around and I'm not buying a new tube to cut up.

/ No steering joint boot available. #10  
Would `self amalgamating` tape over the bad boot hold, until new ones are available.