Non permanent winch fastening?

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Bought a cheapie HF 2500 lb. winch yesterday for my motorcycle trailer. I used it to get the bikes up into the trailer yesterday because even though the batteries are up, the oil is pretty thick from sitting in an unheated garage and we've had single digit temps outside so I elected not to try and start them. They haven't been started since fall.
I had the winch temporarily wedged up against one of my bolted down wheel chocks to get me by for yesterday. I'd like to be able to anchor the winch to the 3/4" OSB floor, but have it easily removable in case I need the floor space or to use the winch somewhere else. The winch has got a couple of 5/16" mounting holes. I was thinking some type of lag shield or screw/bolt anchor. But I want something that will withstand the pressure of pulling in a 700 lb. bike. One of the holes would need a relatively short bolt, because there's a shield around part of the spool that would prevent me from inserting a longer fastener straight up & down or plumb into the hole. The other mounting hole won't present that issue.
Anyone have any thoughts? I'll be near both Lowe's and Home Depot today as well as a Fastenal and another local business that specializes in all types of fasteners (Hiawatha Fastener).
Here's the winch: 2500 lb. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control
It actually worked very well. I like the remote fob operation because I can sit on the bike while I'm pulling it in. Fob in left hand and right hand on the handlebar in case I need to grab the front brake. I cut the eye terminals off of the power cables and replaced with clamps like those on battery chargers. Then I just clamped it to a deep cycle battery I have. Maybe eventually I'll see if I can tap into the factory 7 pin on the truck.

/ Non permanent winch fastening?
Here's a nice setup that I found, but I think it may be custom fabricated. Unfortunately my welding skills are rank amateur at best.

2013-04-23_21-44-33_650_zps1f6cdea9.jpg

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #3  
I've used appropriately sized U bolts to anchor the same winch to the front of my trailer. I've put "flat" ubolts around planks in front and then tried "regular" U shaped U bolts around my tubular frame rails. I know what you mean by limited bolt clearance.
For your situation can you get underneath easily? Perhaps T nuts in the floor with a section of all thread sticking up. Then slide the winch over the "studs" you've made.

I've used appropriately sized U bolts to anchor the same winch to the front of my trailer. I've put "flat" ubolts around planks in front and then tried "regular" U shaped U bolts around my tubular frame rails. I know what you mean by limited bolt clearance.
For your situation can you get underneath easily? Perhaps T nuts in the floor with a section of all thread sticking up. Then slide the winch over the "studs" you've made.

Been under the trailer many times while installing wheel chocks for the bikes. Not a problem. T nut and all thread not a bad idea. That would eliminate the clearance problem for the one hole. I just wonder how long it would stand the strain?
Here's another thought. Bolting a bumper mount hitch receiver to the floor. Then using a receiver hitch winch mount turned upside down. This will also bring the cable up off of the floor several inches. I used to have one of those bumper mounts laying around. Time to search the storage building!

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #5  
I have similar winch mounted on top of dual hitch extender from HF.
image_22869.jpg

Put it between truck and trailer to pull something on to trailer.

I have similar winch mounted on top of dual hitch extender from HF.
View attachment 459551

Put it between truck and trailer to pull something on to trailer.

At the moment I'm kind of leaning that way. The current application is in an enclosed trailer, but being able to remove it from there easily will allow for it to be used on the truck's hitch receiver as you say.

OK, I think I've found my answer.
One of these:

image_20897.jpg

And one of these:

91ZEcKr0dGL._SL1500_.jpg

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #8  
I think you are on the right track but mount it to some solid structure, not just the plywood floor.

Chris

I think you are on the right track but mount it to some solid structure, not just the plywood floor.

Chris

In a perfect world, I can find the right sized U bolt and wrap around one of the frame members like Newbury mentioned. It's a V nose and there's one dead center from the point of the nose to about 3 feet back to the next cross member.
I thank everyone for the suggestions.